Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big powder and Primer score today.

Boolit Master

Big powder and Primer score today.

I have a buddy that lives a couple hours away. He is able to hit some of the big sports stores a few times a week while he is working. Primers are usually limited to 1k per day. I have been having him pick up Large Rifle for me when he can't get what he is looking for.

Went to see him today and he had 9k primers for me. Also had some H4198. We went to all the likely spots today. There were more on the shelves than I thought there would be. I only bought some Buffalo Rifle powder today.

This should get me through summer with my 45/70 and 38/55
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210116_233211.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	275527

Count your blessings, they line up at 3AM in front of Academy near me for a chance to get ammo and supplies.

I'll just wait.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    The power of networking with friends has paid off for you. Congrats!

Banned
    Nice.
    It seems there are a lot more powder and primers available on the East coast than on the west coast. In the 4 major reloading/ammunition suppliers in my area the shelves have looked like the apocalypse struck 70 months ago --- the shelves are bare.

One place says they don't expect any until September.
    Last edited by Conditor22; 01-17-2021 at 04:27 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    The power of networking with friends has paid off for you. Congrats!
    Yea you have to pass some along also. A buddy I work with will get 1k for my cost. He is new to reloading and does not have a stash of stuff

Boolit Buddy

Things we're not that bad around my area a couple of months ago. I stocked up on what I felt that I needed for the next year. Didn't want to go into hoarder mode but now I wish I would have stocked up for at least the next four years.

Boolit Master

Went to a small mom and pop LGS yesterday afternoon. They had ammo! A mess of it! More than I've seen in one place in over 6 mos. No primers or 9mm, but enough of everything else that there were no limits. Sky high pricing, but no matter. Bought a couple boxes of .300, just because I could.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Grand Master

Just passed on a box of Tuiammo 9mm to a friend that bought a pistol for his wife but can't find any anywhere except at Gunbroker like prices. $10 which is a little more than I paid a couple of years ago for a few cases I got on sale a few years ago. People should have learned after the Hillary debacle in 2016 and the lines then to buy when they saw it.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Some of us remember the Brady ban.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Congratulations, great score! That is a great friend you have there.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Yes, great score ! A buddy like that is a true friend .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Some of us remember the Brady ban.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I was a young man during the Brady Bill. I can remember a gun show dealer that would not sell you primers unless you bought a pound of powder

Boolit Grand Master

Nice Score! Thats a good friend.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    Went to see him today and he had 9k primers for me. Also had some H4198. We went to all the likely spots today. There were more on the shelves than I thought there would be. I only bought some Buffalo Rifle powder today.
    What are the primers going for at retail? I saw someone post on a different forum that Scheels had primers but the prices were $70 per 1,000. The shelf was pretty full, which makes sense since $70 will make scalping them much less profitable.

Nothing around here in Central NYS . Compared to GB, $70/1000 sounds like a deal for primers.would love to find some H4198 and AA5744.

Boolit Master
    These were bought over the last 2 months. The last 1k was purchased last week. They were in the 30.00 per K range.

I'm stocked up an Small rifle and Small pistol. Most places only allow you to purchase 1k per day. I told him to get me some large rifle if they dont have anything he wants. Still holding for more.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

I picked up 3 lbs of 748, 2lbs of BLC2, a lb of IMR 4831 and a lb of varget today. $27 a lb
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Our local guy's shelves are a little more bare this week than last month.
    He can't get primers- he never did keep much more than a couple thousand of each,
    but he does still have some of the less favorite powders at last year-ish prices.

He's a little lower than normal on revolvers, but has more semi-auto and Tupperware pistols than I could carry.
    He's down to one rat gun, but has shelves almost full of bolt & lever actions.

He didn't have my beloved Unique or Blue Dot,
    but I got a pound of 231, Green Dot, and a pound of Titegroup to try.
    All were a buck or so more than I remember from a year or two ago..
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 01-21-2021 at 08:56 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post

I'm stocked up an Small rifle and Small pistol. Most places only allow you to purchase 1k per day. I told him to get me some large rifle if they dont have anything he wants. Still holding for more.
    The only place to buy primers for 50 miles around here limits you to 200 primers per day, but hasn't had any to sell for months. They are 30 miles from the CCI/Speer plant that makes them.

And no, you cannot go to the plant and buy anything directly. I've already inquired about that with a current employee there. They have a company store that employees can buy items from, but they are not allowed to resell anything. If they do and are caught, they are terminated.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    What are the primers going for at retail? I saw someone post on a different forum that Scheels had primers but the prices were $70 per 1,000. The shelf was pretty full, which makes sense since $70 will make scalping them much less profitable.
    The (new) Scheels in Dallas is still selling at "normal" price when they get shipments in, which are intermittent. The caveat being that they only sell 100 packs, 3 per customer per primer type, and they only have 1lb powder when they get it. When something I need comes in I'll send the whole family up there to buy 3 each and end up with 1200-1500, depending on who's home at the time.

So it's around $0.04/primer for standard stuff, up to $0.06 for benchrest and stuff like that. Not great, but not gouging like a lot of places. Powder is also still the "before" price, $20-$30/lb, depending on the powder.

Not a good time to build up a supply, but still reasonable if you get low on a component. I started a thread to let people know what they have when they get shipments in, and they got some Hornady .224 in today, 53 and 55gn V-Max for $20 per 100.

One of my kids works there, so he tells me when he sees boxes in the back. He doesn't know exactly what they get, but he'll tell me "A box from Hodgedon and one from CCI," so I'll drop by in the morning and see what they have.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast