MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garand with a red dot

Garand with a red dot

1944 meets 2021. It's like having disc brakes on yer 67 Cuda. I'm old and wear a tri-focal glasses, and really can't shoot my peep sights any more without special glasses. I came across this no drill mount base for M1/M1a rifles and had to have one.
    https://www.badacetactical.com/colle...ount-all-steel
    It arrived soon after ordered, mounted easy, and required no modification to my rifle.
    What's not to like? I took it out today and got it sighted in at 25 yds. I'm a happy camper and my old Garand is going to have it's place back in the front of the safe...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_4089.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	275520
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Grand Master

Looks nice. Thanks for posting.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Rock on. Shoot a clip or two for me next time you're out shooting that nice rifle. Of all the military and sporting autoloader rifles I've ever fired, I believe the M1 Garand is my favorite.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    1944 meets 2021. It's like having disc brakes on yer 67 Cuda. I'm old and wear a tri-focal glasses, and really can't shoot my peep sights any more without special glasses. I came across this no drill mount base for M1/M1a rifles and had to have one.
    https://www.badacetactical.com/colle...ount-all-steel
    It arrived soon after ordered, mounted easy, and required no modification to my rifle.
    What's not to like? I took it out today and got it sighted in at 25 yds. I'm a happy camper and my old Garand is going to have it's place back in the front of the safe...

Name:	SAM_4089.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	275520
    Hi,
    Welcome to the club! I got a Hopco mount a couple of years ago and use a Vortex Viper. It's a lot of fun to shoot and makes all the difference in the world for older eyes.
    Ed

Name:	M1 with Viper.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	275522

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Rock on. Shoot a clip or two for me next time you're out shooting that nice rifle. Of all the military and sporting autoloader rifles I've ever fired, I believe the M1 Garand is my favorite.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    It's my favorite also. I shot high power match with both M1a and the Garand, and I feel the Garand just fits me better for target shooting. I also have an M1a and an AR. Both are scoped. But the Garand would require drilling to mount a scope and I always refused to do that, and now we don't have to. The base comes right off with two screws and the stock sight can be reinstalled easily.
    Did I mention Imma happy camper? I mounted the Vortex Venom with a 3 moa dot. I think it'll be fine out to two hundred. I'll get it out to the hundred yard range next week.
    Deplorable infidel

Moderator Emeritus
    Very nice! I didn’t know they made that mount. The micro red dot looks like it would work well. The other scope they show is WAY too high for a Garand.

Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    Very nice! I didn’t know they made that mount. The micro red dot looks like it would work well. The other scope they show is WAY too high for a Garand.
    I agree. Terrible picture for a sales blurb, and a sloppy installation. The Vortex sight, as well as the other mfr's micro dot sights listed in the sales blurb, mount directly to the Bad Ace base. This gives a very secure and low mount. Very tidy, it pulls up nice and quick. There is no hunting for the dot. It's right where it should be every time.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master
    http://www.amegamounts.com/product_pages/m1garand.php

No drilling required. Just a long eye relief scope (or red dot).

Boolit Buddy

Both mounts look good. Thanks for the information as I may need this.

Looks similar in concept to the HOPCO-USA M1 mount for micro-RDSs reviewed by GarandThumb here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=er__eN-Xm_M

There's also the Ulitmak forward rail mount for M1s. Once installed you can run 'Scout' scopes, RDSs, flashlights, lasers, etc.

OOOH Red Dot

Boolit Master

I LIKE IT!!!

Fortunately, my distance-corrected vision still gives me enough depth to get a clear view of the front sight of a full-length battle rifle, but handguns and M4's are getting problematic.

Been playing around with red dots on pistols - thinking a little Holosun would look REALLY good on a Garand!
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Impressive!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

I like that alot!

Banned
    I gave mine to my youngest because I couldn't see the irons that well anymore.

A couple of years ago I took him out with me to do load development on it, got a great load then had him load a bunch for me. Then when December came around I gave him the gun and all the ammo re reloaded "for me"

BUT I am putting glass on the rest of my guns, just got a rail system for my 303. I want to keep shooting that gun as long as I can.

Boolit Master

SACRILEGE !!!!!!

But, hey if it helps ya shoot then I'm all for it.
    And I'm in the same boat.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Banned
    I had no idea these types of mounts existed , glad I stumbled upon this . When I saw Red Dot I thought it was a thread about powder ,thanks for the heads up . I have a Garand M1D that needs a new barrel , and my new barrel is not D model.These mounts would still allow me some type of visual aid.

Boolit Master
    My wife while we were dating was deadly with my Garrand and if I had sold it would have likely tossed me to the ditch!

Today we could both use a little help in the “peeper” department.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

I see this post has bubbled back up to the top. Glad to see it is of interest to some. Pull up a chair, it's time for an update. I finally made my way out to to the range to get it on paper at 100yds. I was just getting it dialed in and the sight failed. The dot went out and that was it...done. The main reason I chose to go with Vortex over the many other choices was their no BS life time warranty, and their many positive reviews. That and the fact that I paid for a house with the money I have made replacing faulty electronic devices and circuit boards.
    I called their 800 warranty number and a human politely answered the phone on the third ring. I kindly informed the gentleman that my sight had failed. With no further questions he said "what's your address?, I'll send you a new one. There will be a return label in the box, just send the old one back. Then we BS'ed about the Garand, scopes and sights for another 15 minutes.
    He sent the replacement sight priority mail and I had it in my hands 4 days later. Excellent service. A guy can't ask for better than that.
    I used blue Loctite when mounting the sight to the base and had to use a little heat to get it loose. So this time when re-mounting the new sight, I elected to use the pic rail provided with the base. I temp mounted, marked and cut the rail to fit as tidy as possible. Dressed it with a file and painted it. It looks nice and doesn't hinder charging the clips at all. This is going to make it easier in the future if I have to change sights again.
    It didn't raise the sight that much more at all, and I actually think I like it a bit better now that I have a before and after to compare.
    So, I'm starting over with the sight in. Took it out to the field last week and got it on paper plates at about 30 yds.
    Here's a new pic showing the addition of the pic rail mounting.

Name:	SAM_4111.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	276802
    I had some cycling issues this time out. It was 16 deg. out. I think I need to clean the grease off and go with a light oil for this weather. It would fire, extract, and eject just fine, but would sometimes fail to strip and chamber the next round and the bolt would close on an empty chamber. My current load is the Lee 170, .3095, pc. gc. over 36 grs. H4895. This load worked great until it got cold out. I still have about 50 rounds of this load, and then I'm going to bump it up to 39 grs. That outta do it.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Buddy
    do you guys realize that red dot sights were almost banned? the idea was that they had "no sporting purpose". so many people bought them that any opposition was squashed. lesson to be learned re: pending ak and ar pistol bans, etc. If everyone just ignores the law, what can they do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast