Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: "Updating" an old Herters press

Banned

"Updating" an old Herters press

Can you imagine someone doing this instead of just finding the right shell holders or an adapter?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txqzRA0ZT5M

Boolit Grand Master

Some of us just have to make things! I do it with wood, but understand others as well.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Can you imagine someone doing this instead of just finding the right shell holders or an adapter?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txqzRA0ZT5M
    Broke my heart.

Banned

Mine too.

Banned
    Modified ram I understand, but sandblasting and painting is blasphemous

Boolit Grand Master

I understand, I don't agree but I do understand. Sometimes someone (me too) will just do something just because they were presented with a challenge...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Just goes to show . There are some who's time is worthless
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    Time spent doing nothing is worthless; time used to accomplish something useful is never wasted.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    Time spent doing nothing is worthless; time used to accomplish something useful is never wasted.
    Time spent ruining a wonderful old press because one is too stupid to do the obvious should be punishable.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Time spent ruining a wonderful old press because one is too stupid to do the obvious should be punishable.
    You nailed it! Dead center in the 10-ring!

Boolit Grand Master
    Before we became so hung up on preserving the historicity of vintage reloading tools we would have admired the ingenuity of this person to make his tool work for him when there was no “off the shelf” solution to his problem. Sometimes I wonder whether we have gotten more dedicated to history than utility. Then again, I enjoy the challenge of finding old tools and making them work as originally designed, so I guess you could say I have one foot planted on each side of the fence.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

I believe no time is wasted. All knowledge is good. If the results from a task are positive, great, you learned how to do something. If the results aren't so good, great, you learned how not to so something. Both good learning experiences...

If a tool has no historic background of personal worth, it is better to be modified and become useful rather than sit on a shelf somewhere to be forgotten...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Banned

Except that it could have become useful with a $30 part off the shelf or less than that if he'd been willing to do a minimal search for the correct shell holders.

Boolit Master
    I have an old Herter's C press that I started loading with close to 50 years ago. I have a shell holder for a 223, 308, 357 and 12 ga. and the 12 ga loader. I do have an adapter but have never used it. The press hasn't been used much for probably 35 years. I have considered something of the same thing but decided not to.

One thing that has always concerned me was the set screws that hold in the shell holder. The ram takes the load when sizing but those set screws take the load on the down stroke. Looks like the screw threads would strip or wallow out after a lot of use. Anyone have any comments or problems with this ?

It would be nice if someone would offer a replacement ram but it would probably not be cost effective. I like old tools myself but he did turn it into something he could use.

Dave

Banned
    Dave, those set screws never wallow out or strip. Keep then decently snugged up and they will out last all of us.

I would like to see someone make a copy of the original Herter's shellholder adapter. It worked the best of all and is simple to use while not shortening ram stroke.

Boolit Master
    I like the old stuff as much as anybody, but I would say if he was to sell that press, 99 of 100 prospective buyers would consider what he did was a vast improvement. Especially since he followed through so that the priming function still works.

I forget what adapter it was on what press, but adding the thing meant that the original priming function no longer worked. Too much extra length added or something. The instructions breezily told the customer that he was in his own as regards priming.

That press sat in a gun shop forever until the guy traded a knife for it. No preservationists waving big bucks busting the door down to save the priceless artifact. Not even a GoFundMe page.

It’s still a Herter’s press to most people, and I bet if you cornered old George L. he would probably admit that everybody, from the crowned heads of Europe to the scum of the earth, would have preferred this new improved Herter’s press to any other. Particularly since the modification was carefully made, employing fine Old-World craftsmanship, using the best materials available, following the latest, most well-thought-out modern design.

Unlike all the competition, a slapdash mess of unworkable kluges by incompetent designers, made of inferior materials thrown together by unskilled nincompoops, and marketed by sly hucksters to pick the pockets of the unsuspecting ignoramus who wants to start reloading.

Man, I miss that guy. He himself was the greatest Herter’s collector’s item of them all.

Boolit Master

Again, there is an off the shelf part that converts to ordinary shellholders for less than $30.00. I purchased 2 a few years back. I admire his ingenuity, but not his research skills.
    Last edited by gbrown; 01-19-2021 at 05:52 PM.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.