WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: core lube?

Boolit Man

core lube?

What are you all using to lube your core before putting through the squirt die?

Then what are you using for cleaning them before seating?

Ive heard of people using lanolin the boiling in water with dawn dish soap for clean up.

Im trying to avoid using stuff like brake clean , or camp fuel and such for clean up.

Also what are you using to lube the jackets when seating and pointing and do you clean between each process?

Thanks

Boolit Master
    RCBS case lube 2. Water soluble.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Banned
    1.I use whatever the die manufacturer recommends. Castor oil mixed with lanolin. 2. I use citric acid combined with warm water and tumble’m for about half an hour or until the lube is off of them. 3. Again I use what the die manufacturers recommend. And no it is not necessary to clean when you reach the core seating operations. And on that point just point forme’m and then past that part you could clean it.

Boolit Master

I use 50/50 lanolin-castor oil lube & then boil the cores in water & dish soap. Rinse thoroughly with hot water & roll them in a towel to dry.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Master

I use either the Dillion spray lube (Lanolin based) or a home made lanolin/alcohol spray for my lead cores used in .224 and .30 calibers. After core swaging to weight; I use a Harbor Freight Ultrasonic cleaner with a couple drops of Dawn and some Lemishine to clean the lead cores. One has to limit the cores in the cleaner to about one level deep in the machine; many more than that and it will not clean them well enough.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by jdfoxinc View Post
    RCBS case lube 2. Water soluble.
    Same here. Easy cleanup with hot water.

Quote Originally Posted by TrxR View Post
    What are you all using to lube your core before putting through the squirt die?

Then what are you using for cleaning them before seating?

Ive heard of people using lanolin the boiling in water with dawn dish soap for clean up.

Im trying to avoid using stuff like brake clean , or camp fuel and such for clean up.

Also what are you using to lube the jackets when seating and pointing and do you clean between each process?

Thanks
    FWIW: I only swage .22 RF hulls into .224 bullets

I lay out my rough cores in a pan & "Very Lightly" spray them with silicon & work it on by mixing by hand. You should barely feel any lubricant on the cores. I don't clean the finished cores. I use regular swaging lube (mine is from RCE) applied by fingers to the jackets for core seating & again for final pointing. I might add, my jackets start out squeaky clean from SS pin tumbling.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master
    Straight lanolin for core seating and point forming.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Bub
    RCBS case lube 2. Water soluble. I will 2nd that just don't over do it a little goes a long ways been using it for the last 10000 cores with great luck
    Ron

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by RonIa View Post
    RCBS case lube 2. Water soluble. I will 2nd that just don't over do it a little goes a long ways been using it for the last 10000 cores with great luck
    Ron
    How do you apply it? One at a time?

Boolit Bub
    I do 3000 at a time using a large pickle jar with some ribs glued inside I then put the whole thing inside of my rotary tumbler it takes about 8 or 9 DROPS yes DROPS let it tumble for 15 min. if you add to much lube your cores weight will very and too little and they start sticking to your punch keep track of how much lube you use and mark it down same when you add lube to your jackets I add a set amount per 1000 to seat my cores then add a set amount when I get ready to point them make note of everything so you can have a great way to keep track of your set up it will save you lots of time - money & headaches Ron

Boolit Bub
    going to try and post some pictures of part of my bullet making set up tumble jar and strips I put inside Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210124_190428_resized.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	276041Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210124_190436_resized.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	276042
    Last edited by RonIa; 01-24-2021 at 09:53 PM.

Boolit Bub
    bucket of cores (3500)and a bucket of inch long jackets (1000)Attachment 276043Attachment 276044

Boolit Bub
    One very important thing I forgot after you have squirted your cores you need to have them very clean so that when you seat them in the jacket they stay in place if you don't there going to come apart soon as you shoot them
    Ron

Pay attention to what Ron says. The tendency is to overlubricate cores, especially smaller diameter cores. Walt Berger told me he used 9 drops of motor oil per 1000 224 cores for sizing, but some of that depends on your die. The other thing is to get them degreased and oxidized a bit. I have found that KaBoom in the spray bottle does all of that pretty quickly. The new Dawn Ultra in the spray bottle also works well but takes a little more time to work.

Boolit Bub
    for some reason my picture didn't show up I'll try again these are cut cores 30 cal. ready to be lubed and squirted to make 115 gr. bullets on 1 inch jackets that I shoot in my two 30 BR's Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210124_185853_resized.jpg 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	276130

Boolit Man
    for some reason my picture didn't show up I'll try again these are cut cores 30 cal. ready to be lubed and squirted to make 115 gr. bullets on 1 inch jackets that I shoot in my two 30 BR's Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210124_185853_resized.jpg 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	276130
    What im gearing up for is to make a 112gr 30cal on a .925 jacket for a 30br. Hoping to get as close to Randy Robinette 's bullets as possible .

Thinking of getting a set of Ulrich dies.

Whose dies are you using?

Boolit Bub
    I shoot with Randy I have known him for 50 years he makes great bullets he has been a big help to me when I started making my own bullets
    Ron

Boolit Bub
    Larry Blackman dies ( steel )

Boolit Man
    Larry Blackman dies ( steel )
    Curious what ogive are your bullets?

Im still trying to figure out what the weight limit is on .925 jackets with a 7 to 8 ogive.

Starting wonder if i should go with a 1.00 jacket. Im assuming a set of dies will only work for one jacket size?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast