Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first cast load.

Boolit Mold

My first cast load.

Well I loaded my first cast rounds today. 223 loaded over a starting load of 6.8 grains of Alliant unique powder. Overall length of 2.20. Found out gas checks can be very finicky. Some were ok but a large part kinda dragged on one side. Very frustrating. I’m eager to see how they preform. I tried to powder coat a few with the black harbor freight powder but I couldn’t get it to stick. I have some powder coming from Eastwood so I’m hoping it sticks. The mold was a lee 225-55. I’m looking foreword to learning more and shooting my own rounds.

Boolit Master

You just have to be patient, figure out what works. Don't shortchange yourself using inferior stuff. The object of reloading is to shoot more, not necessarily cheaper. By the time you get primers, powder, bullets/boolits, cost is nearly the same, but you have more product for the buck, plus sustainability.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

Apparently Eastwood is good powder coating. Smoke4320, a member here, sells only tested powders and has a big following. I’ve used three of his colors with excellent results.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Mold
    I had found out about smoke after I purchased the HF stuff. I’ll have to look him up in the future. I think I’d like to try the powder coating

Well.....you only started with one of the more difficult and unforgiving calibers. Little stuff is usually challenging! Good Luck in your endeavor! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Boolit Master
    I always steer folks to larger bores to cast for in the beginning but you are in “for a penny or a pound” so here’s to good luck!

So hang in there and get the very best powder coat you can find. It will ease your transition.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master

A 223 caliber Handi-rifle (single shot) is very forgiving with cast boolits. A semi-auto AR, not so forgiving. Driving cast boolits toward jacketed bullet velocities can be frustrating. Getting the right combination of boolit and powder for cycling the semi-auto action, not leading the barrel, and down range accuracy does not come together quickly. Expect some more frustration.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Mold
    I’ve got semi auto rifles but I prefer to shoot a bolt gun. If I can get a realistic group at 100 yards I’ll be happy. Most of my hunting needs are closers to 25 to 50 yards.

Boolit Master

I used to get frustrated with gas checks. I started casting with 38spl. no gas checks! After fighting checks I bought one of NOE's gas check seating dies. I no longer fear checks. I don't do .223 cast but I do .243 and those go on straight and flat with Al's magic die.
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Eh, shoot em, have fun, and see if they work. If not, try again. Once you get your coating/lubing and loading down, try a ladder test with gradually increasing charges from min to max.

Smoke's powders are great.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master

I've got a 55 grain mold, seems to come a little heavier with my alloy. I've shot it out of semi's and singles and it works well .
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Wow, a triple tap!
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I have never PC'd so can't speak to the trials and tribulations of it - but have shot PC'd and even as an "old guy" - that new fangled stuff is pretty neat.

Don't get discouraged on the gas checking, etc. - it takes time to get a system down that works for you. I added .223 to th line up (have a bolt rifle) and I cast the same Lee boolit you are working with. Those itty bitty mouse droppings of lead can be tricky to handle at times with fumbling fingers - I speak from experience! I have a mold for a 45 grain gas check the is even smaller and I manage to fumble those twice as well as the 55 grain. LOL

I had a friend let me shoot his AR - I'm not a AR person but see why folks like 'em - but i feel in love with the 223 cartridge - never thought I would ever be loading it. Don't get discouraged on the gas checking or powder coating - you'll get it figured out and the important thing is to have fun and enjoy and learn from the loads you shoot!

Boolit Master
    I share your frustration about checks not wanting to behave.

I have not tried this but others have: Take a drive punch with a small blunt nose or a bolt and custom grind the nose such that it opens the flange of your gas checks just enough to slip on easily.

Then seat them.

Best regards

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Yeah, .223REM is not the easiest at all. .38 Special is about the simplest there is.

Boolit Master

Yeah, fat fingers and my alter ego, Stoopid, leads to a triple tap. LOL I would agree that 38s are a lot easier to handle, I use them in a Rossi and 357 Herrett, their fun to reload. The 357 Herrett is a hog thumper.

Banned
    I have large hands so I built a gas check applying jig for each caliber I GC

Boolit Master

Slick as an eel's back Conditor22. High volume and unique!

With a deburred and chamfered 223 case (knife edge) in any hand fed press, it is imperative to GO SLOW with that tiny little Bator pill or perhaps lose a "coupon" of finger flesh as you close the die over the bullet and case. That'll ruin your day...
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I’ve seen that the temperature of the lead cam make a difference in the bullets size . Don’t let the pot get too hot ( why dedicated electric is best) or you can start getting slightly oversized. That might affect your gas checks fit . Dumping straight from the mold into a glass of hot water helps harden them a tad as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    All great info. Thanks guys. I’m going to keep at it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast