MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Mil surp 5010

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates

Mil surp 5010

A friend of mine just got some mil surp. 5010 powder on a deal and is wondering what it is good for and what the burn rate is. Can anyone help?

Moderator Emeritus

The burn rate is a little quicker than yellow pine may be even quicker than green quakie. It is very similar to WC860 or WC872 but AIRC a little harder to ignite of possible.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    On a 45/70 fill case put a 450 or 500gr boolit in compress and get 1000 fps.

BWB, Search this site's archives and the Castpics site (link at bottom of screen) for info re IMR 5010.

Boolit Grand Master

MAVEN Thanks buy could not find anything for mil surp. H5010 is there but nothing saying they are the same mix. Both of us have spent to many years reload9ing to use any powder without good data

Smile

The original application was .50 BMG, with the same charge weights nominally giving the same velocities as WC860.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Boolit Grand Master

Thank You Santa and all for the info

BWB, For the .30-06 and metric .30cals. + the 8mm Mau., I use 48 - 49gr. + a heavy (180 - 195gr.) CB + mag. primers. For the .308Win., I start at 44 - 46gr. In any event, be prepared for lots of unburned powder and swabbing your bbl. after every 5 shots or so. A small amount of cereal filler, i.e., 0.3cc (8mm Mau.) - 1.00cc adds comprression and improves 5010's efficiency, but you'll still need to dry swab the bbl. periodically.

Boolit Bub
    At the risk of giving anyone the screaming mimis, I'd like to ask a question on the use of slow propellants in duplex loads. I thought about opening another thread, but since everyone here seems to be experienced with reloading and the thread is already started, I'll continue.

This topic showed up a while back over on GBO:

Reading down to the main post by Veral, he covers use of slow powders in both pistol and rifle, specifically 45ACP and.30-06.

Question: After reading the topic linked above, anyone here have any comments on the viability of using 5010 or any slow propellant in the manner outlined? And, has anyone tried it?

I know duplex loading is looked on as the activity of the ignorantly suicidal, but ever since I picked up Phil Sharpe's book years ago, I always wondered if anyone tries it and lives to report the results.
    (O)(o)
    ---0000-(. .)-0000---

Boolit Master
    We have used 5010 with duplex loads in the 45/70, 50AK, and 50/90.
    Ours may not have been surplus as it came in Hodgdons cans and Dupont cans.
    BIC/BS

Banner Sponsor

I have a jug of surplus IMR 5010 and have tried it in 30-06, 45-70 and 45 Colt.
    A full case of powder with 165 rem corelokt gave just over 2000 fps which I think would put it close to H870???

A 405 gn cast in a 45-70 BFR peppered the display of my chrony , don't remember the velocity.

Don't remember which bullet I loaded in the 45 colt, but the powder was compressed and gave about 360 fps if I remember right.

I think a plexi glass shield in front of the chrony could be very useful.
    It may be more useful in rounds like the 25-06.

Veril's method for duplex loads sounds reasonable to me. It would be nice to be able to measure the pressure. A magnum primer can make a big change also. I've used WC852 in the 30-06, with a case full of powder it will push a 165 corelokt to around 2700 fps. I tried a mag primer and got excessive pressure marks on the case(don't remember the velocity it gave but the brass started to flow into the ejector slot on my M98 bolt.

FWIW

Smile

Just a caution that WC852 isn't all the same. There was a batch that got sold as surplus that was very slow burning, but the nominal specification was for the same charge weight and velocity as with IMR 4895 when loaded in .30 cal. Ball M2. (About a 50 grain charge in .30-06 with a 150 grain bullet.) And H380 was originally a batch of surplus WC852.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."