Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: A JES rebore to 40-65 Winchester

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.

A JES rebore to 40-65 Winchester

He's anyone sent a 1867 Swede rolling block that is chambered in 8x58RD to Jes for a rebore to Winchester 40-65? Looking at the specs the rim, base, and the rim thickness appears to present a simple rechamber and straightforward barrel rebore. Am I missing anything?
    I've got one I'd like to send off.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Call him!

Talk to him about it, LISTEN.

The man knows what he is doing. He knows what will and what won't work.
    So tell him what you have and talk about what is possible.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    I would think you might not have enough meat in the barrel walls, but JES will know.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Call him!

Talk to him about it, LISTEN.

The man knows what he is doing. He knows what will and what won't work.
    So tell him what you have and talk about what is possible.
    I have spoken with him on other rebore calibers. I'm wanting to find out if any other member here on the site has ever rebored THIS particular long gun to THIS caliber.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    I would think you might not have enough meat in the barrel walls, but JES will know.
    I'll likely have him cut it back a few inches to provide more wall toward the muzzle. Currently it's a 27" barrel. And a re-crowning is a plus too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'd still wonder how far it would need to be cut back to get to a thick enough wall on the barrel? Those barrels taper down pretty quickly at the chamber, and then more gradually for most of the length. I'm not sure it wont be pretty shprt when it's cut back enough to be safe, but I'd still call him and have your dial calipers handy to take external measurements at various points.

Boolit Master
    Please post the results of your conversation here, I have a couple of 8x58Rd's and I really only need one.

Agreed, interesting question and please share Jesse’s answer.

Boolit Master

.324" to .408" isn't all that much but I'd also be wary of wall thickness. The 67/89 doesn't have a real heavy barrel.

My thought is for the expense involved you'd be better off buying a barrel blank and going that route.

My additional thought........ you did ask... Its an impractical conversion. Partly because of the caliber you're fixated on... uncommon barrel blank size and to convert the existing... its that barrel wall thickness issue. Thin barrel walls - not good for anything, IMO. (you did ask

Dutch

One other concern beyond safety is accuracy. A thin barrel tends to vibrate and "whip" more than a heavier barrel. So even if it's thick enough to be considered safe, it might never be extremely accurate, or as accurate as a heavier barrel in the caliber would be.

Great info you guys. The barrel is currently 27 inches. The barrel O.D. is .658 at 26 inches, a wall thickness of .1675 with current caliber. At 24 inches the barrel O.D. is .681, with a wall thickness of .179 with current caliber. At .681 with a groove diameter of .408 it gives me a wall thickness of .136. The current wall thickness at the muzzle is .165. The difference between the two calibers at the muzzle is .029", a shorter barrel is stiffer. Having a new muzzle of .681 as opposed to the current muzzle of .653, so maybe it'll work and maybe not. I'm still trying to contact Jesse, I've left him two messages over the last two weeks but no return call as yet. I may just end up sending him the barreled action a note and a check. If he can't do it for whatever reason I'm sure he'll send it back. I'll only be out the freight.

This rifle will NOT be used for punching paper. It's a hunting rifle shooting as heavy a boolit that it can shoot with hunting accuracy.
    Last edited by MOA; 01-25-2021 at 08:08 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Just over 1/8" thick barrel. Not my idea of a good thing personally. That's not much more than my shotgun barrel is.

Well here's the update. Spoke with Jes. Not able to have this roller rebore to 40-65 Winchester. The problem is the shoulder of the current caliber. The reamer for the 40-65 will not clean up the shoulder in the chamber. No mention about the wall thickness being a problem. So I'm going to spend some time thinking about if, how, or why I move forward with this roller.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    Perhaps a 40-82Win chambering may clean up that 8x58R shoulder???
    Another option is go up to a 38-70 Win. Thicker remaining barrel wall
    and that chamber may clean up the shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by beltfed View Post
    Perhaps a 40-82Win chambering may clean up that 8x58R shoulder???
    Another option is go up to a 38-70 Win. Thicker remaining barrel wall
    and that chamber may clean up the shoulder.
    I like that belted. I've not thought of 38-70 or the 40-82. Guess it's time to widen my caliber choices..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    What about a 38-90 WCF? Brass is easy enough, just neck the 9,3X74R up about .015" and bore to std .375 dimensions.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sharpshooter View Post
    What about a 38-90 WCF? Brass is easy enough, just neck the 9,3X74R up about .015" and bore to std .375 dimensions.

Rich
    Dang Rich, I like that idea. I got lots of 9.3 brass I use for my Ruger No. 1 I could use. Ok.... I'll be getting with Jesse again but do you think I'll have the same issue of the existing shoulder not getting cleaned up with the new chambering???
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If the reamer for .40-65wont clean up the chamber, then it sure wont using 9.3x74R brass either! They're smaller than .40-65, even slightly expanded, and have no shoulder at all. I don't think this is a workable option either.

I sent a email to Pacific tool today. Maybe they'll give me an idea what caliber reamers will clean it up and be of 40 caliber. Who knows maybe they'll provide some ideas.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]