RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Copper stock for gas checks

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Petander,
    Thanks for the idea, not sure why I never thought of looking there before?

I surfed through fleabay and then did some Metric to SAE conversion, and ordered a couple rolls of .008" Cu, from Hong Kong for
    my 22 cal FCIII dies. Should be here in 2 or 3 weeks.
    Update:
    The copper arrived today (2 weeks, not bad), while the ad said it would ship from Hong Kong, the return address on the label was New York...that's interesting?
    The material is just what the Doctor ordered...umm, I mean what the boolit caster ordered, LOL.
    It's a nice looking 4" wide roll, 40" long, shiny copper, Not bad for $8 plus $2 shipping. It cuts into strips easy, and cuts/forms in my FCIII dies nicely. I crimped a few onto some freshly cast 225438 boolits, from a vintage mold that is also new to me. The .008 checks crimped on nicely.

If you search Fleabay for "99.9% Pure Copper Cu Metal Sheet Foil Plate Strip 0.2mm x 100mm x 1000mm" you will likely see the ad of the product I ordered.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Update:
    The copper arrived today (2 weeks, not bad), while the ad said it would ship from Hong Kong, the return address on the label was New York...that's interesting?
    The material is just what the Doctor ordered...umm, I mean what the boolit caster ordered, LOL.
    It's a nice looking 4" wide roll, 40" long, shiny copper, Not bad for $8 plus $2 shipping. It cuts into strips easy, and cuts/forms in my FCIII dies nicely. I crimped a few onto some freshly cast 225438 boolits, from a vintage mold that is also new to me. The .008 checks crimped on nicely.

If you search Fleabay for "99.9% Pure Copper Cu Metal Sheet Foil Plate Strip 0.2mm x 100mm x 1000mm" you will likely see the ad of the product I ordered.
    You're looking at price per GC same as if you bought from Sages, except they're out of stock but you can make your own. I got much better numbers from that brass shim stock when buying .006" its 8 times cheaper per GC, I just wish it was dead soft. Its nice to have options though.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dimaprok View Post
    You're looking at price per GC same as if you bought from Sages, except they're out of stock but you can make your own. I got much better numbers from that brass shim stock when buying .006" its 8 times cheaper per GC, I just wish it was dead soft. Its nice to have options though.

Well, not really true, unless you factor in labor time $

As for the number of GCs I can cut from a 4x40 roll, if I am careful, I can cut 3 per inch (9 per sq in). The leftover strips from my testing yesterday, I wasn't real careful, and just measuring them now, it's about 2.8 per inch.
    doing the math, I come up with 1250 GCs per $10 roll if I continue at 2.8 per inch.
    If I get the routine down, and achieve 3 per inch, that's be 1440 GCs per $10 roll.

Mostly, I'm not crazy about making GCs, and I have bought plenty of GCs from Sages in other calibers. But, since I have the tooling for the capability, I want some Cu laying around. Now that you mention Brass shim stock, that's something I hadn't heard of until recently, it's something I may look into.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

You're right, it was very late when I wrote that and forgot to multiply by 2. I cut my strips in double rows. Yes, approximately 1400 GCs if you can keep .011 space around each punched hole kind of hard to do by hand. With our tax 11.50 for 1400 GCs comes out to 0.82 cents per GC, not bad honestly especially that you don't have to purchase a large piece of copper. I am going to order one, even though I got ton of aluminum on hand. .008" should be also good for NOE 6.5mm bullets 9mm.

Well, not really true, unless you factor in labor time $

As for the number of GCs I can cut from a 4x40 roll, if I am careful, I can cut 3 per inch (9 per sq in). The leftover strips from my testing yesterday, I wasn't real careful, and just measuring them now, it's about 2.8 per inch.
    doing the math, I come up with 1250 GCs per $10 roll if I continue at 2.8 per inch.
    If I get the routine down, and achieve 3 per inch, that's be 1440 GCs per $10 roll.

Mostly, I'm not crazy about making GCs, and I have bought plenty of GCs from Sages in other calibers. But, since I have the tooling for the capability, I want some Cu laying around. Now that you mention Brass shim stock, that's something I hadn't heard of until recently, it's something I may look into.

Boolit Buddy
    dimaprok, I just wanted to let you know the cost per check, 1440 per roll is actually $0.0069 cents per check, less than $0.01 cents each.
    That's a very good price for a copper gas check versus a aluminum gas check if JonB_in_Glencoe can get the material for $10.00.

Quote Originally Posted by KAYDADOG View Post
    dimaprok, I just wanted to let you know the cost per check, 1440 per roll is actually $0.0069 cents per check, less than $0.01 cents each.
    That's a very good price for a copper gas check versus a aluminum gas check if JonB_in_Glencoe can get the material for $10.00.
    I think you meant to say 0.0069 dollars, not cents. It would be equal to 0.69 cents but in my case a little bit more because of high sales tax, that's how I came up with 0.82 cents. Now I just need to make Arduino controlled step motor pull system that can advance .326" at a time while air cylinder punches gas check and a roller cutter that can cut copper sheet in to perfect width strips

my local hardware has some, may be to thick though

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyshome View Post
    my local hardware has some, may be to thick though
    Or too hard

USMC 77, USRA 79

i had no problem punching out the brass shim stock, goes on easy and seems to hold real nice.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

314th Air Divsion
    20th Tactical Air Support Squadron
    RVN 67-68 & 68-69

Personal and Up "Close Air Support"

Moderator Emeritus

I'm about to order up a batch of thicker copper for a new die.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Moderator Emeritus

A sheet of .012" Cu arrived today. I ordered it from Hong Kong, but it has a Kentucky return address on the package?
    ...Still waiting on custom 6.5mm GC making die.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Mold
    This is painfully true.

I got mine on Amazon. Took a little searching but I did find the thickness and hardness I desired.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12