Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Herters Super Model 81

Banned

Herters Super Model 81

The double ram one. All of a sudden, there are several on Ebay. I was watching one for quite a while and it sold for less than I was beginning to think it would. Considering one. I've really gotten a bad bug about old reloading presses lately, I need another one like a hole in my head, but wonder if these do anything much better than a single ram would? I guess the idea was you could leave a full length sizer and seater dies set up and do a whole round without having to change dies?

I have one, I bought it about 6 years ago, I don’t use it all the time. I also like the old stuff. I find myself using it for rounds I crimp. I like a seat die on the left and a crimp die on the right. It works for me. It is a very large press, I had to have one because it was unique, not out of necessity.

Boolit Grand Master
    If I get another stimulus soon, I'd like to get one.
    They do look interesting.
    Dose it take regular shell holders, or will it need the adapter?????
    Attachment 275461

Boolit Master
    It takes Herters shell holders, same as the model #3. If you want to use the standard snap in shell holders then you will need to buy a couple of the adapters.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Banned

I have one of those adapters, but truthfully, the ones that work in it are niether hard to find or all that expensive if you look around. I bought several from a local shout for six or seven bucks each and have gotten a few off of Ebay for about that. I have just about all the ones I'm likely to need now.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I have one of those adapters, but truthfully, the ones that work in it are niether hard to find or all that expensive if you look around. I bought several from a local shout for six or seven bucks each and have gotten a few off of Ebay for about that. I have just about all the ones I'm likely to need now.
    Rich, you know me, though. I have to look for that one shell holder nobody has... I’ve been looking for a Herters #25 (to load my 327 Fed Mag) for about three years now without success. The few I’ve seen on fleaBay have been made of platinum and going for prices reflecting that. Fortunately, the adaptors available from a couple of places work pretty well and the presses are big enough you aren’t cramped for space when you use them.

Back to the original topic, a former neighbor had one and I always thought it would have been just the thing for use with two die rifle sets. As the cowboys used to say, “They’re hell for stout”... I’d rank them up close to my Super U which I bought a few years ago to be my press to use when I was afraid anything else I used might crack. If I hadn’t finally admitted to myself that I really can’t have it all, the Model 81 would probably be near the top of my shopping list, but there’s just no place on my main bench to mount it, and it would only be fully usable on a heavy bench.

Froggie

PS Another point to consider with Herters shell holders... they made a couple of presses that took a really wonky threaded shell holder. I’ve had false hopes raised a couple of times when one of those showed up in a size I needed.
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    From Herter's Catalog No. 79 - 1969

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Herter's Model 81.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	275473

Banned
    The 81 was an idea to compete with Pacific in the multi-ram is better idea. The 81 suffered from the difficulty of changing shellholders. You need a special, really short Allen wrench and then it takes a lot of time and patience to loosen and re-tighten the two inside set screws. I have used some that had a loose enough link pin that pushing it out and dropping the ram was easier than fiddling with the short wrench.
    The press does not have enough leverage to perform two tasks at one, gracefully. It's better to move the case to the next die and process a single ase at a time.

Too many things sent a link to one on eBay right now that intrigues him. It has two adapters for snap in shellholders. That's fine however the adapters shorten ram travel right at the top of the stroke, where you get maximum leverage. This is likely OK if you are not full length resizing large rifle cases. This a common issue with all aftermarket adapters. Herter's offered an adapter that didn't have this issue and why no one has copied it amazes me.

I have found from experience that the two rams is more of a solution looking for a problem. The only really good use I can see for it is if you use a universal de-capper and a "M" die to expand case necks, or some combination of seating and separate crimping.

It remained in the Herter's catalog for a long number of years, I guess that George liked it. Buy it for the curio effect, but not as a solution to a problem.

Ken

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Rich, you know me, though. I have to look for that one shell holder nobody has... I’ve been looking for a Herters #25 (to load my 327 Fed Mag) for about three years now without success. The few I’ve seen on fleaBay have been made of platinum and going for prices reflecting that. Fortunately, the adaptors available from a couple of places work pretty well and the presses are big enough you aren’t cramped for space when you use them.

Back to the original topic, a former neighbor had one and I always thought it would have been just the thing for use with two die rifle sets. As the cowboys used to say, “They’re hell for stout”... I’d rank them up close to my Super U which I bought a few years ago to be my press to use when I was afraid anything else I used might crack. If I hadn’t finally admitted to myself that I really can’t have it all, the Model 81 would probably be near the top of my shopping list, but there’s just no place on my main bench to mount it, and it would only be fully usable on a heavy bench.

Froggie

PS Another point to consider with Herters shell holders... they made a couple of presses that took a really wonky threaded shell holder. I’ve had false hopes raised a couple of times when one of those showed up in a size I needed.
    True story, I rescued what was left of an old Lachmiller press from an antique store in Abilene. Didn't need it, but it was laying on the floor, rust had it frozen open, sad shape. The wanted $22 for it, I left, but couldn't quit thinking about it and wondering how long it would be before someone got tired of looking at it and trashed it. Went back and that stall had a 20% off sale so walked out with it for 17 bucks. A major derusting, lubing, painting effort turned it into a useable press, but it uses those Herters shell holders. Went to see the old man at the eclectic sporting good junk yard I haunt in Salina and asked him, in a minute or two he produced a cigar box full of them for like $6 apiece, so I got a few common ones, but had n't researched it for all the others.

Next time I'm over that way, I'll see if he has one. For all I know, I may have one, I have accumulated a few while procrastinating about building a new bench for all these toys, including that U model Herters, that thing is a heck of a press.

I'm surprised that one is hard to find, should be the same one as .32 S&W Long, correct? Seems like that would have been a popular one back in the day.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    True story, I rescued what was left of an old Lachmiller press from an antique store in Abilene. Didn't need it, but it was laying on the floor, rust had it frozen open, sad shape. The wanted $22 for it, I left, but couldn't quit thinking about it and wondering how long it would be before someone got tired of looking at it and trashed it. Went back and that stall had a 20% off sale so walked out with it for 17 bucks. A major derusting, lubing, painting effort turned it into a useable press, but it uses those Herters shell holders. Went to see the old man at the eclectic sporting good junk yard I haunt in Salina and asked him, in a minute or two he produced a cigar box full of them for like $6 apiece, so I got a few common ones, but had n't researched it for all the others.

Next time I'm over that way, I'll see if he has one. For all I know, I may have one, I have accumulated a few while procrastinating about building a new bench for all these toys, including that U model Herters, that thing is a heck of a press.

I'm surprised that one is hard to find, should be the same one as .32 S&W Long, correct? Seems like that would have been a popular one back in the day.
    Yep, AFAIK, all of the 32 handgun rounds except 32 ACP & 32-20 use the same shell holder. Of course I load 32 S&W Long, 32 H&R, and 327 Fed Mag with the same tool and dies by simply moving the dies up and down. I don’t know why I think I need that monster press to load that dinky little cartridge, but...

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    I was bidding on one of them.
    Got to high for me.
    Rats.
    Wonder if someone here got it?????