Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
RepackboxLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Duplicating Buffalo Bore loads

Duplicating Buffalo Bore loads

This video was very interesting. He duplicated the Buffalo Bore 180 grain 357 mag woods load. I was shocked by the huge Standard Deviation on "factory ammo". BBs load is .8 grains above Hodgens listed max for Lil Gun.

https://youtu.be/imcKcKxI6DU

Boolit Grand Master

Duplicating the velocity is only one part of the equation. Duplicating the pressure with the same velocity is the real challenge. Per the owner, Tim Sundles claims that they use proprietary powders in some of their loads to get the performance they do and still stay within pressure guidelines. I don't have pressure testing equipment so I don't have a clue as to how accurate their claim is. I have read a couple of articles that did confirm that BB claims were legit??????
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-15-2021 at 10:18 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

The guy didn't give either the SD or ES for either the factory load or his reload. He did say what the velocity was for each shot though. From that the ES of the factory load was 209 fps with and average for the 7 shots of 1406 fps. For the reload the ES was 362 fps with an average velocity of 1430 fps for the 7 shots. He was just shooting one handed through the chronograph (brave soul as that's an excellent way to shoot the chronograph) and was not shooting a target so there's no indication of accuracy.

The factory load ES, while seemingly large, actually is fairly indicative of using a max charge of too slow a burning powder in a short barreled revolver (the Ruger had a 4" barrel). The ES of the reload at 362 fps was, indeed, pretty bad. That Beartooth 180 gr 357 magnum load may do a lot better in a closed breach rifle though. Hard to say about the reload though. Having to smack the ejecter as he did to extract the cases is indicative of very high psi.

I was not impressed.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Vendor Sponsor

BB aren't one bit shy about putting plenty of powder in a load neither. Their stuff rocks, and you know you done somefin' when you touch off one of their "Deer Grenades" in 45 Colt. They push the envelope and they aren't shy about that either. I got some of the deer grenade loads and I got some of the same boolits they use, my thought was to duplicate them but after firing a few rounds of theirs, I decided nope, not going there.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Doug, that’s hilarious . I am not a fan of hot anything in any gun that’s enough with normal loads.

Boolit Buddy
    I have been very happy with Buffalo Bore ammo in 45/70 and 44 magnum the only factory ammo I buy . but to try and duplicate there loads no thank you .

Boolit Master

+1 Randy!

Boolit Master
    Picked up some BB 45-70 to reload small primer brass with black powder and it worked ok. Hope no one ever shoots any of this ammo in a wore out trapdoor or rolling block.

Boolit Master
    I know Tim and Suzy. They are definitely willing to push the envelope, but not to sacrifice shooter's safety. Tim's approach to heavy loads is nothing short of ground breaking, and attempting to duplicate his results is beyond scary without his depth of knowledge. I would trust Tim to produce hot rodded 6mm Lee Navy rounds.
    These videos may show that velocity can be reproduced, but what are the pressures? What is the safety margin?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by cwtebay; 01-17-2021 at 03:01 PM.

Boolit Master

Had some extraction problems in a model 71 in 348 using BB ammo. Worked fine with Winchester ammo.

Boolit Master
    BB uses small primers in their 45-70 cartridges. If you reload them, I caution against using CCI non-magnum primers with any double-base powder (I got hangfires.). WW primers work fine.