Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which crimp die for 44 mag?

Boolit Buddy

Which crimp die for 44 mag?

Evening folks,
    I would like to get a crimp die for the 44 mags. Thus far, and it has worked, I've just been using the seat/crimp die at once. I'm not super happy with it, sometimes the crimp will change the oal a bit especially with boolits.
    I have a few of the lee factory crimp dies both collect and carbide as well as 1 hornady taper crimp die. I like the Lee's, they seem to function well.
    Lee sells 3 types for 44, the collet, the carbide, and a taper. The taper crimp is out, I need a heavy roll crimp. Not opposed to other brands, but I don't really like the hornady crimp I have (9mm/38). Of the 2 Lee's which do you prefer, or if someone else make one you prefer which is it?

Thanks,
    Ken

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Redding Profile Crimp is FAR superior to the Lee and worth its extra cost!!~.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    What makes the Redding die so much better? I know they are supposed to be the best, but they are spendy. Even compared to the dillon stuff, which I have a lot of. Unfortunately don't have their 44 dies, and you cant find them now.

Boolit Master

I load 2 different cast boolets. 200 grain and 240. The 240's are longer. I use an AOL of 1.710 on them. The 200 grain 1.640. I have 2 seating/crip dies preset to keep things easier. In a 4 hole turret.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    Following

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Just get an extra Lee seating die and remove the seating stem. Works like a champ!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Evoken View Post
    What makes the Redding die so much better? I know they are supposed to be the best, but they are spendy. Even compared to the dillon stuff, which I have a lot of. Unfortunately don't have their 44 dies, and you cant find them now.
    Redding die easier to adjust and simpler, one piece.

No sliding pieces or threaded collars to adjust. Just set for length of case and go.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I use RCBS set for 44 mag. I don't have any issues seating and crimping together. I like RCBS pistol dies, except I don't really care for their belling die. I am switching to m dies in place of belling dies for pistol calibers, as money and opportunity present themselves.

Boolit Mold
    Personally, I like the Lee FCD best for roll crimp. RCBS for taper crimp. Didn't like the Redding profile crimp at all on .357.

Boolit Buddy
    I prefer the extra crimp die. Most of my pistol dies are dillon, except 44 and 9mm. I like the dillon roll crimp for the 357 and 45 colt. But I am looking for alternatives. My 44 dies are the hornady titanium dies. The sizer is ok, but I don't like the sliding seat crimp set up. Dillon is on backorder everywhere I have looked. I will take a look at the Redding dies, and I know they will be quality.

Not sure if I want to pay for the Redding or just get a cheap lee and wait for dillon to come back in stock.
    Most of my rifle dies are rcbs, the few hornady sets I have left are slowly getting replaced. I know some guys like the sliding seat set up, just not me.
    Thanks,
    Ken

Boolit Master
    I'm also a fan of the Profile Crimp die. Since I seat and crimp in different steps, I needed another die anyway. The Redding was it. I do prefer the sliding seater that is part of the Hornady dies so that's what I use for all of my revolver calibers except for the 327 Fed and the 32 H&R.

As Outpost75 described, the PCD is one piece so you vary the crimp by screwing it in or out.

Not that my experience and opinion is of any value to any but me, I'm also a fan of NOE expanders. He has many different size buttons and you can get a few different sizes per caliber. Before I got his buttons, I used Lyman M dies for everything. NOE uses the same M die style expansion technique.
    Last edited by DHDeal; 01-15-2021 at 08:56 PM.

Boolit Master
    I've been using the Hornady Custom Grade seat and crimp die since the first cartridge. It will clear .432" boolits. I've changed the other 2 dies twice in that time.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

IMHO, a key is crimping in a separate operation. I learned to do this early on in my reloading experience and the difference is noticeable and worth the effort.

I found the Lee factory crimp dies years ago and love them, I've never used any other brand of crimp-specific die so I can't compare.

Just my .02
    If your mind goes blank don't forget to turn off the sound!

Boolit Master

I have several dies to choose from. Pacific, Redding regular roll crimp from three for set, Redding profile, both Lee Collet and Carbide, and a Hornady. With trimmed brass the Profile crimp does a fine job. The Collet does an excellent job with brass that isn't necessarily the same length. Doug guy does an adjustment that I think is worth having done to the Collet die that in theory makes sound reasoning to me, I just always get sidetracked before sending them off to him for cutting. The Carbide just hasn't seen any use since I bought it so can't speak to that. The others listed perform as expected but aren't my first to reach for with Profile and Collet available.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
    Ruger RedHawk 357 Mag 44 Mag GP100 Davidson Exclusive 5" Security Six 2 3/4", Speed Six 4"
    Smith Wesson 629 PP and 686 PP, 617

Boolit Buddy
    Great input fellas. Guys that are using the lee dies, what do you prefer? The carbide or the collet? Both are labeled as factory crimp for the 44.
    The Redding die really isn't that much more either.
    Decisions, decisions...
    Ken

Boolit Buddy
    I have also recently began using the noe expander plugs and so far I like them.

Boolit Buddy
    Don't trim your straight wall handgun brass. Instead uniform their length if using mixed brass. This will make constant roll crimp easy.

The Lee FCD will make a nice roll crimp and push your cartridge thru a case gage in one step.

The FCD is what I use for a lot of different calibers, I don’t own the Redding so I can’t comment on them. I am very happy with the Lee dies thus far.

Boolit Buddy
    Ive been using the Redding Profile Crimp for both .44 and .357. I like them.
    To the OP ... the Redding Profile is a roll crimp.

Boolit Grand Master
    I crimp in a last - separate - step. Lately using the Redding taper die. Love it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast