RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which crimp die for 44 mag?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Redding Profile Crimp is FAR superior to the Lee and worth its extra cost!!~.
    I use the Redding Profile Crimp, I have used Lee products and for me they are not worth the cost saving.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dddddmorgan View Post
    I found the Lee factory crimp dies years ago and love them,
    Ditto. I've used a very wide variety of die sets over a very long time but once I used a Lee collet crimper I've used nothing else.

Suggest you not be greatly concerned about OAL in a revolver, it will never know the difference. Just crimp into the crimping groove and all will be well.

Boolit Master
    First off I trim my revolver cases to a uniform length.

Then in .44 and .41 I may use either the Lee carbide crimp die or the Redding profile crimp die. On rare occasions I use both.

Other instances I use the crimp section of the seater die to begin bringing the flare case bell in a bit and then finish crimping with either the Lee carbide or the Redding profile dies.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    I use the Redding Profile Crimp, I have used Lee products and for me they are not worth the cost saving.
    In BEARTOOTH BULLETS TECHNICAL GUIDE by J. Marshall Stanton, Chapter 7, Load Development and Trouble Shooting, Bullet Crimp, Revolvers, he recommends the Redding Profile Crimp Die to cure bullet jump in the .454 Casull or heavy loaded .45 Colt.

" The only solution that over the years has positively stopped all this nonsense decisively and completely is a Redding Profile Crimp Die. Please don't ask me to explain why, I'm not sure. I do know that it works, and it has worked with every customer who has called me with the same dilemma."

I use Redding Profile Crimp Dies in my .44 Special, .44 Magnum and .500 Magnum loads.

The Redding is great but for me it’s the Lee FCD. Much like Lee bullet molds (during normal times anyway), it’s a great price and does what it is suppose to do very well.

Boolit Buddy
    I use the Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die on my 454 Cassull and assume the 44 version would work as well as my 45 Long Colt/454 Cassull. As I never want to size a loaded round, before using the die I utilized a screwdriver and a small hammer to break the carbide sizing ring out of the die.

Quote Originally Posted by sierra1911 View Post
    I use the Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die on my 454 Cassull and assume the 44 version would work as well as my 45 Long Colt/454 Cassull.
    I use the Lee for both and .357 Mag. Works like a charm on all of them.
    Last edited by Targa; 02-20-2021 at 01:42 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123