Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Dream Rifle will become a reality- 4 Bore Falling Block

Boolit Master

"extreme plinking", I like that!

Boolit Man
    That is pretty cool. Does it get classified as a DD once built?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbore.729 View Post

In theory, this would be used on large dangerous game, but in reality it will be used for extreme plinking.
    That's awesome! Instead of soda cans and golf balls you can spend a day shooting 55 gallon drums and bowling balls.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

I'd love to see more of this project as it comes along! Talk about an ambitious build!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tai95 View Post
    That is pretty cool. Does it get classified as a DD once built?
    No. The cartridge predates that ruling on top of being BP

Boolit Buddy
    Working on my cleaning kit. It's the little things like this that can be easily forgotten when tackling a heckin big project like this. It will be a while before I can send off the barrel to the maker, so I'm doing little stuff to make life easier down the road. I picked up a Harbor Freight 7x10" lathe specifically to do this project. I have never used a lathe in my life and I gotta say, this harbor freight piece of junk has been making learning a chore. I'm slowly getting there though. The brush is a stiff nylon that I cut down and inserted into a fitting I made. The threaded inserts were turned, threaded, and pressed in to the brass tubing with a little heat. I then faced them once cool and locked in place. I made a bushing for the roller bearing and it's press fit into the rod with heat as well. I then polished everything from 220 grit to 600 and finished it off with polishing compound. It took a shine pretty good. I still have to make the English walnut handle and the jag, but it will be towards the end of the week when my 1" brass stock will be delivered. The jag will be around .930" in diameter. Once this is all done, I'll make a nice case for everything.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PicsArt_03-03-09.23.48.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	278875

Name:	PicsArt_03-03-09.23.57.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	278877

Name:	PicsArt_03-03-09.24.04.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	278878

Boolit Buddy
    The jag is done. Took a long time, but I'm sure I can do it again faster with better results. This was a huge learning experience in how my lathe operates. I had major problems keeping it concentric, likely because the 1" stock wasn't chucked perfectly. I managed to get it concentric by threading it, and boring and threading a smaller piece of brass. It got me perfectly round, but I lost the dimension I wanted by a few thousandths. I might give this another go, now that I got an idea of what I'm doing. Still, it polished up nice and looks pretty. Now I need to make a handle to fit on the bearing and make a case.

Name:	PicsArt_03-05-03.53.53.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	279020

Name:	PicsArt_03-05-03.53.15.jpg 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	279021

Name:	PicsArt_03-05-03.55.22.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	279022

Boolit Buddy
    Video on the cleaning kit
    https://youtu.be/u7YTq0YufZU

Boolit Man
    No. The cartridge predates that ruling on top of being BP
    Thanks for clearing that up. Too many rules out there to keep everything straight. I wasn't sure if because of it being a new build even though it's BP if that would change anything.

The cleaning kit looks amazing too. You have made a piece of brass into a little functioning work of art.

Boolit Buddy
    No worries, nothing like a bunch of BS laws to make it impossible to tell what is and isn't legal.

And thank you! It's definitely turning out better than I expected

Boolit Buddy
    So, I turned this 4 bore solid to get an idea on what bullet design I want. I won't be making bullets myself as my lathe can't hold the tolerances like a swiss lathe can. I'm still not sure if I want brass or copper solids yet. I'm definitely having a mold made for lead though. Here are the specs for the solid here, .950", 1.48" long, 4.8 oz / 2100 grains. I was aiming for an even 2000, but my math may be off. Or it could be my scale. I tried weighing it on my digital powder scale, but it maxed it out, so I used my wifes food scale. Will weigh it at work on a calibrated scale.

.22-50, .45-70, and my 12 Gauge from Hell solid for scale

Name:	PicsArt_03-17-12.31.08.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	279734

Boolit Buddy
    So, to fund this project I was planning on selling my kit car. By some strange cosmic coincidence, I was scrolling through Facebook and got to the kit car group, and none other than Bailey Bradshaw himself posted in the group, looking for the kit car that I happen to have. What are the freaking odds of this!? So, I talked to Mr. Bradshaw and after some discussion, he'll be delivering me my 4 bore when he comes to pick up the car �� I am freaking ecstatic. What a world.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Fun stuff! A friend finished building a double ten bore recently, and we shot it the past couple weekends. He got it regulated to shoot under 2" at 100 yards. At 16.5#, it's a handful to shoot, but the weight deals with recoil nicely. I would need a shooting staff to shoot it much, but he used it off hand on our trail walk last weekend, and only missed one target. Plays hell on the targets, though. He bought a 8 bore double this past week that should be fun. I look forward to seeing your finished product!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy

Name:	PicsArt_04-26-03.34.52.jpg 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	281964

Just picked out the wood for the 4 Bore from Mr. Bradshaw's inventory!

Sits between 20 & 30 mm CANNON used in AA/aircraft? No way for me.
    KS 23M Rus version
    Last edited by popper; 04-26-2021 at 08:36 PM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    TR Roosevelt wrote a book about hunting in Africa. One of the guns was a 4 bore, Good read, informative, not PC. Often the shooter of the 4 bore had a gun bearer standing behind him to hold his shoulders and to keep him from fly backwards on his butt.

https://archive.org/details/africangametrail02roos

You now touching off a 4 ounce bullet is going to hurt..... even at 1050 fps....... Fun , But painful ....... On a second note, Pretty sure CBE in OZ still does a 4 bore mold...

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    It's great when you get told "DO IT!" like that, person building for you wants your kit car; that's just great

Boolit Bub
    Looks like a fun project, but now my shoulder hurts. Have fun with it.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    No worries, nothing like a bunch of BS laws to make it impossible to tell what is and isn't legal.

And thank you! It's definitely turning out better than I expected
    My understanding is that over .50 bore does not automatically classify something as DD. The fact that your gun is a replica of a historic dangerous game rifle and not used with "anti-personnel" ammo (exploding, incendiary, gas, etc.) should make it Title I. Can't wait to see the finished product!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast