Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best mold to learn on?

Boolit Man

Best mold to learn on?

I’m to the point finally where I am ready to buy a mold. I have a heat source, pot for melting, a little bit of lead to learn with, alox, mineral spirits, a bag of sawdust for flux, ladle... I think I’m ready to go with the exception of a mold. My thought process may be totally off base, but it seems like the thing to learn on would be a very simple mold. Not huge but not small either. Something like a 2 cavity 38 wadcutter. Since that’s one of the bullets I intend to cast anyways it’s really high on my list as a first mold. The other thing I’m considering is a 2 cavity 311 rn 93gr for 32 caliber pistols since I have a few of those that are hungry.

I am open to suggestions and insight, and especially pointers for jumping in with a mold for one of the following things

32 pistols. I have 1 32 acp and a few 32sw and 32 long revolvers Lee 93 rn looks like a winner eventually, but for first mold?
    38 wadcutter preferably HBWC so it will obturate and work properly in 38sw but also serve in 38spl and ultralight 357 applications. HB means pins and that’s a complication I’m not sure I want to get into yet.
    30 cal rifle. It would need to be gas checked so I’m looking other directions for my first mold. Would use it for 30 carbine and 3030. Somewhere in the 115gr range. Likely will be my first rifle mold though.

You are overthinking it. Buy the mold that will serve the purpose of your gun.

Boolit Buddy
    The mold you have is the best one to learn on

32 - I don't have one but the profile looks like an easy one to cast. For <$25 not much to lose.
    38/357 - Both the 158g WC and the 140g SWC are easy to cast and perform very well when sized properly (Have shot both in a S&W 19-3). I don't see much of a need for HBWC (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Chap..._Wadcutter.htm)
    30 cal - you will need to be much more fussy about the cast quality here but there isn't any waste. Just cull any less than perfect casts back into the pot to recast during the next session.

Arrow

WKY, Lee Precision offers two wadcutter design mould for the .38 Spl/.357Mag. and one ~115gr. .30cal. mould, #309-113-F (requires a gas check*), which has shown itself to be accurate in a variety of different .30cal. rifles. Btw, on this site, it has also been referred to as a "soup can." As for the .38 wadcutters, they are or used to be plentiful enough on eBay, but a hollow base one will be much harder to find and much more expensive than the others. Sized to fit your gun and with modest powder charges of say 2.7 gr. Bullseye or something similar, accuracy can be VG -> Excellent.

*That cast bullet will also shoot well without a gas check if you size it to fit your rifle's bore, but you can't push it as fast as you would with a gas check.

If there is a .38 HBWC mold out there, I'm not aware of it.
    All the HBWC I've seen were swaged.

As far as which one to learn on-- I don't think it would really matter.

My first mold was a RCBS .38 Keith style SWC wad cutter for a gas check. I thinks its right at 160 grain.
    It does well in .38 or .357Mag. from mild to wild speeds.
    Not that its any easier, or much different than any other.
    For me, it was just handy and dropped a boolit I'd shoot a lot.

I'd pick it again, but probably just powder coat them for .38s or mild .357s.

For a hollow point, I found them to be way more tedious and labor intensive
    than I want to do just to make practice ammo.

I can drop about 6 plain boolits from a double cavity mold in the time it takes
    to do the hollow point thing for one in a single cavity mold.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 01-15-2021 at 02:47 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

38 HBWC moulds with pins exist, even 4cav, not much slower to cast them solid BUT not for beginners to make mistakes on a expensive mould.
    This is MP copy of famous HG#50.

Take a good look at this

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/hg-...8-cavity-mold/

In stock and you will get it in 5 days. Solid.

Banned
    this is in stock right now and will feed your 32 caliber pistols, and will last IF you take care of it and don't abuse it.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010206368

It's easiest to learn on a medium size mould such as a 38 spl or 45 acp. They are the least finicky. It's easiest on an iron mould like a one cavity Lyman. Now that's not to say you can't learn on any mould.

What you really need is a used mould that has been tuned. Let's say a Lee cause they are cheap. Problem is, all moulds except for custom jobs like accurate, be they lyman RCBS or lee, are hit or miss. Just about everyone that casts becomes a mould mechanic. Moulds have a habit of not dropping the bullet easy, or being slightly undersized across one of it's demensions. Or with lee 2 cavity moulds the sprue plate pivot comes loose and needs to have a set screw added. Put a want to buy add here in the forum for a mould that suits your needs, but specify it not be ornery. If you do end up with one that is ornery, find someone to help you straighten it out if you can't do it yourself.

Welcome to the CB.GL forum by the way.

Boolit Master
    I would start out with a H&G 4 cavity wadcutter.

H&G molds are older than you and if were taken care of it will out live you. Wadcutters were the mold of choice 60 years ago in the everybody had a revolver days. But now pistols are the firearms of choice, so you can usually find an excellent 4 cavity H&G wadcutter with handles in the $100 range or less. I wouldn't waste my money on a 1 or 2 cavity because as soon as you start you are going to want more production and there is no difference in the quality of bullet dropped. Check out Hensley & Gibbs on Ebay as these wadcutter molds appear all the time. They are the best Iron Molds out there and machine work as good as it gets. I will warn you once you get you hands on an H&G it will spoil you.

Boolit Mold
    good luck on finding any brand of bullet mold right now i have been trying to buy a double cavity molds in either a round nose or a semi wad cutter for 4 of my pistols since it is extremly hard to find factory bullets and the people on ebay are willing to pay 3-4 times what a brand new set sells for. good luck

Boolit Master
    As Conditor22 will attest I am still on the elementary school level. The first mold I tried was an Accurate three cavity 32 caliber mold -throws .312" 100 grain swc's on each end and one for swc's with gas checks in the middle. Not the best to start with. Took me forty forevers to start casting good 32 bullets. I already had an old Lee 38 wadcutter double cavity .358" 150 gr w/ my bullets. So, then tried the lee wc mold; first two or three bad until the mold heated up, then to me perfect. Then fired up I got the Lee 430 240 swc double cavity, and as they say in the ads "I amazed my friends" with them ... short and stubby but perfect and very accurate in my 44 Special Ruger BH. So I would recommend a double cavity 38 wadcutter mold.
    Last edited by JoeJames; 01-15-2021 at 07:42 PM.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you buy a two cavity mold it will be useless in short order.

Get a 4-6 cavity mold in a pistol caliber you shoot the most. Mi-hec, NOE, Accurate all make good molds. My first mold was an H&G 10 cavity. The advice above to get a 4 cavity H&G is good but H&G molds are not easy to find.

Prices are nuts. I have a Lyman 4 cavity WC I am selling put will not post it here...it will go for more of its fair price if I list it on eBay. You may get a decent deal on eBay but it is unlikely. Buy new or watch the listings here.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by David W. Sanders View Post
    good luck on finding any brand of bullet mold right now i have been trying to buy a double cavity molds in either a round nose or a semi wad cutter for 4 of my pistols since it is extremly hard to find factory bullets and the people on ebay are willing to pay 3-4 times what a brand new set sells for. good luck
    Check out Accurate Molds. He's showing a 4 week turn around right now. You can get exactly what you want shipped to your door in one month. These molds are excellent.

https://accuratemolds.com/

Boolit Master

In normal times I would automatically say get a lee mold. They are good to learn on and if you do happen to break it you aren't out too much. These times are not normal so you may have trouble getting any mold at a reasonable price. On the other hand just being in the midst of the members here has netted me a couple of nice molds to play with recently, which I will feel duty bound to pass on without putting a gouge price on them when I am done with them. People here tend to help out other people here. My first mold was a 309 160 round nose which I got to use in a 30-30 Handy rifle. It was immediately fun to use but was only a single cavity. I still have some of the boolits I cast with that before I traded it off.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    this is in stock right now and will feed your 32 caliber pistols, and will last IF you take care of it and don't abuse it.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010206368
    I have the Lee 311-93 mold in a six banger, and a tight chambered Beretta 81. I have to tell you that this Lee bullet isn’t a good choice for 32acp. It’s about twenty grains too heavy. The nose is also too wide. By the time it is seated low enough to pass the plunk test it is bulging your brass. There are better molds for the 32acp. I ended purchasing a can full of Lyman 313249 from an estate sale. It is a 85 grain round nose with a step on the nose that allows it to still chamber in a 32acp with a longer OAL length than the Lee bullet. I’m sure the Lee 93 grain bullet will work well in your revolvers.

These threads have a few good recommendations for 32acp molds.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ould-for-32acp

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Beretta-32-acp

I'll bet a lot of us started this hobby with a single cavity round ball mold. I did, and things went pretty good for me. My total equipment consisted of, Lyman cast iron pot on a kitchen burner, Lyman lead dipper, and Lyman single cavity .437 round ball mold. Those balls fed my CVA Kentucky Rifle Kit that I built at age 15. jd

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    If there is a .38 HBWC mold out there, I'm not aware of it.
    All the HBWC I've seen were swaged.

As far as which one to learn on-- I don't think it would really matter.

My first mold was a RCBS .38 Keith style SWC wad cutter for a gas check. I thinks its right at 160 grain.
    It does well in .38 or .357Mag. from mild to wild speeds.
    Not that its any easier, or much different than any other.
    For me, it was just handy and dropped a boolit I'd shoot a lot.

I'd pick it again, but probably just powder coat them for .38s or mild .357s.

For a hollow point, I found them to be way more tedious and labor intensive
    than I want to do just to make practice ammo.

I can drop about 6 plain boolits from a double cavity mold in the time it takes
    to do the hollow point thing for one in a single cavity mold.
    NOE also makes a hollow base wadcutter.

If the only hollow point mold you've used is a Lyman then you're missing out. I can drop hollow points almost as fast as solids with my MP molds.

You're welcome to come over to my place and play with my toys Winger Ed.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    For me the short answer is whatever mould you can find. The simplest mould for me to master was the dual cavity Lee 148g wadcutter soup can. Doesn’t hurt that it shoots well and I’m becoming convinced that it will perform over about every fast powder.

The 30-30 and 30 carbine are a bit divergent so finding a mould to do both would be a compromise. I would focus on either or.

Boolit Bub
    WK-
    I'm partial to MP Molds currently- if it's in stock, you get it quickly like 3-5 days via DHL.
    and good to see you at CB as well..
    Brass make it to you yet?

Boolit Man
    I went ahead and bought a mold I know I will use. I will likely trash it quickly, and that’s fine, but it should be a relatively cheap education. Lee 2 cavity tumble lube 38 wadcutter. Ye Olde Soupcan. It seems as common as it is simple, and should be a good and fun learning point. It also was in stock when the 32 caliber mold I want was out of stock. That’s fine though, my goal for the year is to buy a mold about every other month and lead on months I don’t buy a mold. That gives me a toolset and a supply that will work well enough to improve my situation to a more acceptable level.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast