Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Digital MultiMeter as thermometer

Boolit Master

Digital MultiMeter as thermometer

I recently replaced my multimeter due to battery corrosion/infrequent use. The new one came with instructions-do I have to give up my man card if I admit reading them?
    Near the end, there is a 3 step procedure for using it for Temperature Measurement utilizing a K type thermoelectric couple with readout in C.
    Has anyone used theirs in this manner?
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

The Klein multimeter I have actually came with a thermocouple when I bought it. I havent used it much because I have a dedicated Fluke meter that is just for thermocouples. It gets used at my work for checking surface temp on thermoforming molds.

I tested them side by side just to see the accuracy of the Klein one and it was always within 1-2 degrees F of the Fluke meter. So I would say that it can be trusted to give accurate readings.

No shame in reading the manual that came with the new meter...lol. Part of my job is writing the operating manuals for the machines we build and it always drives me nuts when I get phone calls asking how to make the machine do something. Its in the manual. Read it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    I recently replaced my multimeter due to battery corrosion/infrequent use. The new one came with instructions-do I have to give up my man card if I admit reading them?
    Near the end, there is a 3 step procedure for using it for Temperature Measurement utilizing a K type thermoelectric couple with readout in C.
    Has anyone used theirs in this manner?
    My DVM from Harbor Freight came with the thermocouple. I've used it a couple of times, checking the freezer or refrigerator. What I'm looking for is one that will read the temperature of a furnace full of molten brass, bronze, or iron/steel. I know they're out there, somewhere. I'm just a cheap bastrich and want them for nearly free.

I have. I have even used a diode and a battery measured the voltage change with temperature.

I have a Fluke 88V and you can get a probe that uses the DC volts jacks. The *** top of the line Sears I had before that (late 1990's) had a special port on the front for a K-style probe.

The Fluke 80PK-22 is an immersion probe and has a temp range of -40 to 1050 Celcius for only $110.

Boolit Master

I am not cheap but I am frugal. I just spent my ebay bucks-$1.30 and ordered a probe with bannana plugs from MN for less than $10.
    As I recall that may be more than I paid for the DMM. But if it makes it more useful.......

Added:
    Probe arrived, plugs much larger than ports in the DMM. Drat.
    Last edited by William Yanda; 01-25-2021 at 05:45 PM.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

I needed a new VOM a few years back and the one I got will measure temperature in both F & C. Have used it quite a lot with my assortment of PID's and TC's. Did I "need" any of them to cast a bullet? NO But did I learn or confirm some things by using them. Definite yes on that. I haven't actually used my analog thermometer for a long time. They react slow to change and the dang thing is harder to read than the digital stuff is.

Having that VOM I found it useful in comparing readings with the PID's and the various TC's. They always seem to agree within a degree or two of each other no matter what combination I'm using. My analog was around 60° different as I recall. Figured if all those other ones agreed with each other it must be the analog one that's off. I did "calibrate" it to conform but don't use it.

Even when melting new lead to ingots I grab the VOM and a jig to hold the TC in the melt. Wouldn't be without that VOM anymore.
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826