RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vegan Lube

Boolit Mold

Vegan Lube

For some time now I have been on the search for a bullet lube that contains no animal products. I have seen posted that there are several products that can be used to replace beeswax such as: bayberry wax, Japan wax, candelilla wax, or a vegetable wax such as soy. The problem is all of the recipes that I have seen containing any of these products still contain beeswax. Is there not a suitable lube that can be purchased or made up that contain no animal products? I will be using this lube primarily for black powder but, if it works for smokeless too that is a plus. Thanks guys and looking forward to feedback.

Boolit Master

Hmmm.... problem is bees wax inherent perfect qualities. I understand honey and beeswax isn't vegan. I cant thinking of any black powder lubes that are vega

Disclaimer: if have never made or used vegan lubes. If i had to make one this is what I would do. Maybe someone has a one they use and can save you the trouble. But there isn't one you will need experiment and tinker to find your own.

You would need hygroscopic materials and vegan materials. My vegan friends would probably roast both of us if they saw this but here goes. Sorry gunpowder isn't vegan and we SOL on that one. Glycerol is made from animal mostly.

Coconut oil/grease is pretty soft. So try paraffin wax and Coconut oil mixed.... rapeseed oil is vegan. Castor oil is vegan as well as mineral oils. For black powder mineral based materials are steered away from because it doesnt keep the fouling soft. But a stiffer black powder lube works fine on smokeless along as your aren't pushing to hard past blackpowder pressures and velocities, but different people have different results.

Problem is also getting things to mix. I said to try coconut oil and paraffin wax. But it may not mix. Thats another area where bee wax shines. It's alcohol esters mix with everything.

So you going to have to try things out your self so get a good cleaning kit and a few extra brushes because scrubbing out leading will destroy a bore brush quickly.

Get a package of gulf wax and a can coconut oil. Just get a single sheet of gulf wax from the pack and melt and then add a table spoon or two of coconut oil. Then let it cool and check consistency. I personally like my black powder lube to be like thick butt paste. So I would slowly add the oil or grease component until the lube had that consistency when cooled. Also let the lube sit for a day or two to see if it separates. Sometimes the oils will leach from the wax and thats not good. That will foul the powder. You can try different oils.

All waxes but bee wax are vegan. I would use a soft one. Palm waxes and beery are stiff as well as Japan wax. Some of the pseudo waxes might work well if mixed with gulf wax or a stiff true plant wax. Soy wax is pseudo wax (hydrogenated soy oil) as well as a few others. Carnauba is a true plant wax but its super hard. It gives the bore a nice shiny look though. After doing a little research I think Candelillia wax would work great and is a popular vegan candle wax and has a high oil binding capacity (from a quick Google search).

Also. Make the original SL-68 lube with out the bees wax. That would be a good vegan smokeless lube and use a cheap vegan bar soap as the soap. That would make it vegan.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Dick Dastardly's Pearl Lube will fit your requirements. Soy wax, Crisco, and toilet bowl ring. Those used to be beeswax but are synthetic now. It works fairly well and is cheap and easy to make. You can find info about it on his web site. http://www.biglube.com/

Powder coat?
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master
    What BNE said. Vegan lube...I was expecting this was going to be a joke. I will not ask why.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by bettieguitar View Post
    SNIP...

no animal products.
    Bettieguitar,
    Welcome to the forum.
    My suggestion would be to buy some Microwax and substitute that in a homemade lube recipe.

With that said, my understanding is that Honey Bees are not animals. But I suspect you have passionate views on Mass farming and don't want to contribute to the colonization of insects. While I have never heard of Vegan's being sensitive to Bee farming byproducts, I can respect that. Our modern world is completely intertwined with Mass farming techniques, if there was ever a majority collective movement toward ending those practices, I suspect the human race, as we know it, will end.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I got to ask
    why do you want vegan bullet lube?

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    I got to ask
    Well my gusse animals eat vegetables so therefore a vegan bullet would attract the tasty things.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Don’t eat the lube!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bg, There may be one (or more) that is vegan: https://castbulletassoc.org/uploads/...cblube2016.pdf

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    I got to ask
    I work with vegan friends. I learned not to ask. When we first met I made the mistake of saying I was hunter. Then the conversation turned to cows and I got a 3 hour lecture about raping cows... its not about the meat side of it it goes deeper into kindness to animals and sweet shops in China and animal testing ext. Good stewards to the earth. My friends won't use anything from China and other certain countries.

As to the other post about bees being animals. I actually asked my vegan friends and the agreed it is not vegan. It has to do with possibly hurting the bees and you are taking that which doesn't belong to you.

~Theodore Roosevelt~

Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    It has to do with possibly hurting the bees and you are taking that which doesn't belong to you.
    Hmmm, I never thought about that.

I've helped a beekeeper relative a couple times,
    and the smoke you spray at them is probably a little irritating, but doesn't seem to hurt the little critters.
    I always figured honey & beeswax was OK with vegan types since ya didn't kill the bees getting it.

I respect other people's beliefs & wishes, but sometimes I trip up a little.
    I had a vegetarian co-worker who got down on me one time about hunting.
    I asked him how he could ignore the plant's screaming when he cut into a tomato or whacked off a ear of corn.

Whew,,,,, I'll never do that again.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 01-15-2021 at 03:00 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BNE View Post
    Powder coat?
    That answer is way too easy and practical . Vegan's like to go the difficult route .
    I wonder if this is a fishing expedition . You don't eat boolit lube and a vegan isn't going to be hunting game for consumption ... what's up Doc ?
    Crisco , Vaseline and paraffin would be vegan & black powder lubricant .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 01-15-2021 at 04:20 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Vegans dont just not eat meat. Its a life style of choices. They won't use any products either that use things like animal testing or made in Chinese sweat shops by child labor.

It goes deeper than food. Its the products they use and clothes they were also. My vegan friends refuse to use plastic bags. That's how deep it goes.

~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Buddy
    If vegans object to plastic bags they may object to paraffin and vaseline, and powder coat. They’re all made of petroleum products.
    One might expect lead bullets would be unacceptable to a person of such sensibilities , too.
    Wonder if the OP is trolling us?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    Vegans dont just not eat meat. Its a life style of choices. They won't use any products either that use things like animal testing or made in Chinese sweat shops by child labor.

It goes deeper than food. Its the products they use and clothes they were also. My vegan friends refuse to use plastic bags. That's how deep it goes.

In the early '90s, I dated a lady who was a Vegetarian (for religious reasons.) She was a Catholic-Buddhist. She would draw the line at the Mollusk. Anything with less brain activity than a Mollusk was fair game. She wouldn't buy leather products for herself, but she would buy rawhide leather chews for her dog, because her dog (Newfoundland) wasn't a Vegetarian.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Krumhunger View Post
    If vegans object to plastic bags they may object to paraffin and vaseline, and powder coat. They’re all made of petroleum products.
    One might expect lead bullets would be unacceptable to a person of such sensibilities , too.
    Wonder if the OP is trolling us?
    No way!! A new guy on his first post, nooooo!
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    That answer is way too easy and practical . Vegan's like to go the difficult route .
    I wonder if this is a fishing expedition . You don't eat boolit lube and a vegan isn't going to be hunting game for consumption ... what's up Doc ?
    Crisco , Vaseline and paraffin would be vegan & black powder lubricant .
    Gary
    Maybe just shooting targets.
    Don Verna

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Japan wax and olive oil is vegan and is acceptable for Hindus and Buddists.

Can't speak to Catholic-Buddists... Probably OK if you clean your matchlock with Holy Water...
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I thought bees were insects & therefore ok with the vegans.

Crisco + Jojoba oil + carnauba wax.
    Last edited by greenjoytj; 01-15-2021 at 09:00 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast