Load DataWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vegan Lube

Boolit Master

Hopefully our facetiousness doesn't scare off the OP.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Quote Originally Posted by sghart3578 View Post
    I wonder if vegans lose sleep over the dead bugs collected on their windshield when driving to and from the range.
    Good question. I've wondered about that myself.

Best I can figure is-- As well as spraying for spiders and roaches in the house,
    it might be OK if there was never any plans to eat them.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    If they love animal soooooo much, why do they eat the poor critters food? Plants have feelings too!
    I’m a member of PETA. People Eating Tasty Animals! Vegans need to throw rocks 🪨 instead!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    Thank you for thoose that have answered respectfully. Much appreciated Nobade, I will give him a call. There are obviously several people on this forum who are ignorant and show a complete lack of respect. That is ok, I am used to it. It is about educating yourself. Thank you Rcmaveric for your understanding and your efforts towards that on here.
    I was hoping that there would be someone who has made a product that could share quantities or a commercial product.

Boolit Master

No problem. I wouldn't call them ignorant. They know better. They are just poking fun for a laugh at anothers expense. Dont take it personal. Means they like you lol. Owe, welcome to the fun.

You will be hard pressed for commercial products. Alot of people keep their secret concoctions recipe guarded and about everyone of them calls for beeswax.

You will have to do some research. But I think 45/45/10 (wax component is Johnsons paste wax) and Ben's tumble lube (Lundmark Floor wax is the wax component) should be vegan. Both are tumble lubes for smokeless. I think you can get 45/45/10 from white label. Both are made from Lee Alox which is hydrocarbon based. Also both are super easy to make and some have had great successes with them.

~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    If you are avoiding animal products, at some point the petroleum industry will come into play (transportation of all those 'plant-based products', tractor fuel to grow ...)

Boolit Master
    Vegans object to almost everything I like so I just don’t do vegan to each his own but vegans are to much for me.

Boolit Master

Lol my vegan friends grew on me. We have fun little debates now.

An often missed idea. Vegetarian and vegan is promoted by all religions and mandated by a few. We could all use some good karma or good works in life. Even Christianity promotes vegetarianism and kindness to animal while also forbidding passing judgment on others based on what they eat.

I know when I harvest an animal it breaks my heart to see it suffer. I want a good quick clean kill. I pray for the animal and my aim and squeeze the trigger as I admire its grace and beauty. Half the fun of hunting is wild life watching.

If the shoe was on the other foot how do you want to be killed. I would prefer the needle or bang flop after a long great life. As apposed to a gut wound a quarter way through my prime.

~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    there aint much to a vegan so it would be difficult to make lube from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    Lol my vegan friends grew on me. We have fun little debates now.

An often missed idea. Vegetarian and vegan is promoted by all religions and mandated by a few. We could all use some good karma or good works in life. Even Christianity promotes vegetarianism and kindness to animal while also forbidding passing judgment on others based on what they eat.

I know when I harvest an animal it breaks my heart to see it suffer. I want a good quick clean kill. I pray for the animal and my aim and squeeze the trigger as I admire its grace and beauty. Half the fun of hunting is wild life watching.

If the shoe was on the other foot how do you want to be killed. I would prefer the needle or bang flop after a long great life. As apposed to a gut wound a quarter way through my prime.

I'm hoping for red mist...

Anybody tried peanut butter?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Anybody tried peanut butter?
    You know, never thought about it, but that may work just fine as a muzzle loader lube. Seems most everybody agrees a half anf half mix of just about any kind of vegetable oil and Bees wax to stiffen it works. Peanut butter is stiffened up already and vegetable and oily.

Boolit Master
    Paper patching.
    Don’t know how one is going to clean and protect their gun from rust.
    Ballistol?

Can’t use smokeless powder because they use something from pigs to equalise the burn rate.

Boolit Buddy
    How do you know someone is vegan? They will tell you every 5 minutes!

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Peanut butter is stiffened up already and vegetable and oily.
    That old school kind that the oil floats up and ya have to stir it might be good by pouring off the oil.
    I guess that'd be pretty much the same as just using peanut oil from the grocery store though.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

But is Marine Grease made by, for, or OF Marines? Should we also be concerned about baby oil? And how do the Girl Scouts select who sells vs. who becomes cookies? It's a WEIRD cult, that one.

Peanut butter - - I think we discussed it years back in the Quest thread. My thought was that maltodextrin could be used in moderate quantity to stiffen/stabilize it. Don't know if anybody ever followed up on that.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

I remember that thread. Wasnt the grit of the peanuts speculated as bad for accuracy? I recall someone tried dry lubricants suspended in wax base and it didn't work too well.

~Theodore Roosevelt~

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by remy3424 View Post
    No way!! A new guy on his first post, nooooo!
    Somehow I don't think bettieguitar is a guy. I could be wrong. Welcome to the forum. If you are female yes you are in a bit of a minority, if you are a guitar player as I am, we are in an even slimmer minority but there are a few pickers here. Ok fellas, be nice now...
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

I have tried to learn the guitar. I am saxophone and Recorder player. Played the recorder as a child and picked up the saxophone in my teens and play both throughout high-school. I bring my recorder with me on travels. Same key and fingers as my alto sax so I can pass time and keep playing.

I want own a beautiful gold and white gold trimmed saxophone with black mother of pearl keys before I die. Wife say the price tag and told me what I can go do with myself. It cost as much as a car.

~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    You might need to make a few experimental mixtures, but some combination of one of the leaf or berry waxes and jojoba oil should give you the right combination of hardness, lubricity and ability to soften black powder fouling, in combination with moisture.

Sperm oil was reportedly the gold standard in the 19th century for long-range black powder target shooters. A guy named Charlie Dell did a lot of experimenting with various oils and waxes for boolit lubes, and said that jojoba oil came closest in characteristics to the now-unavailable sperm oil.

A winning BPCR target shooter in Mike Venturino’s book on black powder cartridge rifles (forget his name) said that any lube that softens fouling and can be applied to boolits seems to work as well as any other.

Don’t know why you all are ragging on this poor lady. A Vegan lube isn’t any more out-there than a lube that generates official screamer groups with cast boolits at 3000 ft/sec, and everybody wants that one. There may even be an untapped market indicated here. Make up your own certified proprietary trade-secret Vegan lube recipe, advertise on the black-powder sites and see if it sells.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast