Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading UKADvertise hereLee PrecisionTitan Reloading

Thread: Black powder measure with drop tube setups

Black powder measure with drop tube setups

Have so far only loaded BP rounds using a homemade stand with funnel and drop tube. Recently picked up a Lyman BP measure that has a clamp and about 24" drop tube. Looking to see pics of similar setups. How you have them mounted for comfortable and efficient loading. Seems like it wont be real easy to clamp to the normal loading bench due to the length of the drop tube. I'm guessing people build a stand to mount these to and clamp the stand to the bench. Lets see what your setups look like please. Thanks
    Looking for K frame square butt Stag grips and Marlin Ballard Wind Gauge Spirit Level Front Globe Sight

Boolit Grand Master

My lyman srts on a home made base and is c c;amped to the bench top. It sets wit the 24" tube hanging down past the edge a little so both handle and end ot tube are eeasy to reach sitting. The measure holds enough powder I can stand for that little bit. If Im weighing the charges or belding and mull measure it is mounted on the other stand and goes to scale then drop tube.

Old timer would set the measure up with tube close to floor and put cases between their toes.
    Sorry couldnt resist that[/COLOR]

I've done a lot of case charging sitting on the floor but getting too old for that. Either going to have to train a kid to hold cases or build a mount for the shelf above the bench. Kids always seem to know how to be elsewhere when they could be useful so I hope people will post some pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    My lyman srts on a home made base and is c c;amped to the bench top. It sets wit the 24" tube hanging down past the edge a little so both handle and end ot tube are eeasy to reach sitting. The measure holds enough powder I can stand for that little bit. If Im weighing the charges or belding and mull measure it is mounted on the other stand and goes to scale then drop tube.

Old timer would set the measure up with tube close to floor and put cases between their toes.
    Sorry couldnt resist that[/COLOR]
    Thanks for the description of your setup Country Gent, that's kind of what I imagined would need to be done.
    Looking for K frame square butt Stag grips and Marlin Ballard Wind Gauge Spirit Level Front Globe Sight

Boolit Grand Master
    Hunter, instead of using a drop tube one can also use a vibrator to settle the powder in the case
    I gave up using a drop tube years ago ... because vibrating is much quicker
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    I crank the table of my drill press up as high as it will go and clamp my Lyman 55 BP measure to the raised table. Swing the table to the side so it over hangs the work bench top to get the 24” clearance.

The use of the long drop tube was short lived as I only load 45 Colt, it was more convenient to use a short powder drop and a compression die to precompress the powder before bullet seating.
    Last edited by greenjoytj; 01-16-2021 at 10:23 AM.

Boolit Master

I only load a few .45-70s with holy black here & there.

When I do, I use my official redneck method:

I use a dipper that holds 65grains, and it doesn't fill the case all the way up.
    Then holding it in one hand, I put my finger over the top and thump it a few times.
    The powder settles right on down.
    Its not very fast, and my finger is only good for about 50-60 at a setting- but it's simple, and works.
    Political Correctness and the cancel culture is only allowed to exist because of the coward culture.

Old age, and treachery will always over come youth, and skill.