Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 9mm HP Molds?

Boolit Buddy

9mm HP Molds?

I know this topic has been discussed at length, but I'm looking for a more updated perspective on what's actually available AND good to go. Thinking 124gr. but not married to it. Would be going through a factory as well as different aftermarket Glock barrels (G26, G19, and G17).

What's a good go-to mold that'll be American made and either in stock or, even now, shipping within a couple weeks?

Thanks!!

Boolit Grand Master

My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy

Maybe I'm not clicking on it right or something but I'm seeing "Place Backorder". Do you see it in stock?

Thanks!

Boolit Master

I'd see what MP and NOE have in stock.

Those are the two major hollow point mold makers.

If nothing in stock contact them and see when they plan on running them.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Buddy
    Noe and mp seem to have some versions of their appealing 9mm molds available, but mostly just in the 2 cavity format if they have any.

Boolit Buddy
    MP was the only one with a 9mm in stock. Question....what do I want...... .357, .358, or .359? I normally cast .356 for 9mm.

Also, if I order a specific one will it work for 9mm, .38spl and .357mag?

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/9mm...ies=4-cavities

EDIT: I stand corrected! https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...sl=dni-mwandsl

Any experience with these? How's expansion?

Thanks!!
    Last edited by emt1581; 01-14-2021 at 08:46 PM.

Boolit Buddy

MP 359.125 NLG has become my favorite in round and penta. The penta drops at 137 and the round at 135 consistently. I have never produced a solid. I think the penta may be slightly more accurate but it is still early in the game to say absolute. Both versions sized at 358 work in 3 very different 9’s with OAL of 1.110 That leaves just a fingernail width of the top of the drive section above the case rim. 1.100 also worked but I try for longer in 9 for additional case volume.

38/357 also looks promising but I am less than 100 into that project. Lyman 358477 and HG#275 (?) NLG have been my primary candy for a while.
    Last edited by WheelgunConvert; 01-15-2021 at 04:07 PM.
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
    MP was the only one with a 9mm in stock. Question....what do I want...... .357, .358, or .359? I normally cast .356 for 9mm.

Also, if I order a specific one will it work for 9mm, .38spl and .357mag?

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/9mm...ies=4-cavities

EDIT: I stand corrected! https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...sl=dni-mwandsl

Any experience with these? How's expansion?

Thanks!!
    Get the larger diameter. You can always size them down. Making them larger....not quite as easy.

Expansion is going to depend on your alloy.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Buddy
    I agree with the above post about getting a mold on the bigger size. I'd rather cast big and size down than to cast the right size usually. .359 might be a bit big for 9mm though. .357 or .358 either one would be good for sizing down to 9mm size. I just lapped out a mold that dropped .3555 so that it now drops .358 or so and and am super happy I did.

Have few of MP .359” 9mm moulds and easy to size to .357”. Very easy. Another reason for 359” or .358” is you can use them in 38/357 also.

Boolit Buddy
    Anybody know if Lee handles will work with the MP molds??

Thanks!

Anybody know if Lee handles will work with the MP molds??

Thanks!
    Yes, they work fine.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolHandMoss View Post
    I agree with the above post about getting a mold on the bigger size. I'd rather cast big and size down than to cast the right size usually. .359 might be a bit big for 9mm though. .357 or .358 either one would be good for sizing down to 9mm size. I just lapped out a mold that dropped .3555 so that it now drops .358 or so and and am super happy I did.

So a .359 is going to be difficult to get through the 9mm sizer? Seems like .358 will be the sweet spot for all three calibers/rounds... 9mm, .357 mag, and .38spl. Right?

Thanks!

Boolit Buddy
    So a .359 is going to be difficult to get through the 9mm sizer? Seems like .358 will be the sweet spot for all three calibers/rounds... 9mm, .357 mag, and .38spl. Right?

Thanks!
    Anyone? Just want to confirm before pulling the trigger.

Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    I powder coat and size all my 9s to .358 with a lee size die, they end up .3575 no problems with 5 or 6 guns i have shot them through.
    They run .359 to 360 after PC before sizing.

Boolit Master
    Anyone? Just want to confirm before pulling the trigger.

Thanks
    If you are getting a NLG No Lube Groove then you will have to Powder Coat which adds .001" OR MORE to the diameter. You need to subtract that from your finished diameter.

You can Powder Coat or Lube a conventional bullet that has a lube groove but it's hard to lube a NLG bullet.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    If you are getting a NLG No Lube Groove then you will have to Powder Coat which adds .001" OR MORE to the diameter. You need to subtract that from your finished diameter.

You can Powder Coat or Lube a conventional bullet that has a lube groove but it's hard to lube a NLG bullet.
    I do powdercoat and I usually go no lube groove. But I'm not understanding how the finished diameter would be affected if I cast, quench, powder coat, and then size. Please clarify.

Just trying to figure out what's the optimal diameter to go with for the mold I order. I'll be casting/loading mostly 9mm by far. But I want the ability to go .357mag/.38spl as well. Just don't want to run into any issues with the bullet being too big or too small/too tight or too loose when sizing and loading.

Thanks

Boolit Master
    I do powdercoat and I usually go no lube groove. But I'm not understanding how the finished diameter would be affected if I cast, quench, powder coat, and then size. Please clarify.

Just trying to figure out what's the optimal diameter to go with for the mold I order. I'll be casting/loading mostly 9mm by far. But I want the ability to go .357mag/.38spl as well. Just don't want to run into any issues with the bullet being too big or too small/too tight or too loose when sizing and loading.

Thanks
    If you are just going to powder coat go with the 357 size (1 to 2 thousandths over your bore) less your coating thickness, .002 seems normal, High Tech is thinner. Sizing down a few thousandths isn't hard, making it bigger is.

I'm a 44 shooter so I looked up SAAMI specs for 357 and they say .355 +.004 -0 which is a lot of help. LOL

Go with the groove size of your 357 and the powder coat will give you .002" over.
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 01-17-2021 at 06:42 PM.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.