Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: 38-55

Boolit Man

38-55

My high wall will be coming home from the gunsmith soon. It’s been refined with a 14 twist liner and chambered for 38-55. SN# puts the manufacturing date at 1886. It has a 28” #3 barrel. I have no experience with this cartridge. Plan to use it for target work out to 300 yards. Black powder loads only. Any suggestions for a bullet mold?
    JKR

Vendor Sponsor

With that twist, something in the 330 to 340 grain range would be a good place to start. Exact bullet choice depends on the liner and your likes. Is it a 0.372"- 0.380" liner with a 2.130 chamber length as they first were?
    Is it a 0.368"- 0.376" liner? Maybe the newer 2.085" chamber?

What kind of target work to 300yds? Everyone wants the most accuracy. That may take a little testing to get to the point you know what you are doing - testing is the fun part.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master

Off the shelf Ive done good with the Lymann 335 gr custom is a Old West 360 gr NASA. I haven't got around to Paper Patch for it yet. I cast from 20-1 and spg lube. Pan Lube and shoot as cast. A buddy really like the 302 grn RCBS but his was 15 twist I believe.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    With that twist, something in the 330 to 340 grain range would be a good place to start. Exact bullet choice depends on the liner and your likes. Is it a 0.372"- 0.380" liner with a 2.130 chamber length as they first were?
    Is it a 0.368"- 0.376" liner? Maybe the newer 2.085" chamber?

What kind of target work to 300yds? Everyone wants the most accuracy. That may take a little testing to get to the point you know what you are doing - testing is the fun part.
    Haven’t slugged it yet, of course, but supposed to be .368 bore, .375 groove. By target work I mean for punchin’ paper not critters.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by JKR View Post
    Haven’t slugged it yet, of course, but supposed to be .368 bore, .375 groove. By target work I mean for punchin’ paper not critters.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/376-330-...ld-jim376330m3
    .376" 330 Grain "Money" Mini Grease Groove, First Band Reduced Diameter 1-Cavity Bullet Mould

It would be a good first bullet to start with.

Also the Lyman mold Country Gent offered could be good. It is Lyman's 38-55 Postell basically. The over the counter Lyman may be hard to find just now. The BAC mold, even though it says out of stock; You just order it and BAC makes it on demand. BAC does not often make and stock mold but rather make them as needed to fill the
    Chill Wills

Boolit Man
    Good information. Thank you both! As you say, the Lyman molds seem hard to find. I’ll look seriously at the BACO mould.
    JKR

Boolit Master

I have a 15 twist C Sharps 75 and it loves the Lyman 335gr with 47gr of Swiss 2F. For hunting the Lee 250gr works minute of deer.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!