MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Seating depth.

Boolit Master

Seating depth.

How much difference does 15 thousands make in pressure. I am loading for a 45 auto. I am using Hornady dies and having problems getting consistent OAL measurements. The problem is I am using the Lee 230 TL boolit and the lube is building up, up inside the seater die. These lubed boolits have been setting aroun for at least 6 months. I am finding that I dont really like the floating seater in this die. I have not had near as much problems using the Lee seater die in other calibers. I am going to go ahead and order the Lee 3 die set for the 45 auto. Actually I would never buy Hornady dies again. This Hornady die set for the 45 doesn't even have a crimp built into the seater die. I called Hornady to find out what I was doing wrong trying to seat and crimp on the same stroke. He said it doesn't have a crimp built into the die. I had to buy a Lee FCD just to iron out the bell in the case. No more Hornady dies for me. Your help is appricated.

Boolit Master

To tame "sticky" lube at room temperature, put boolits to be reloaded in the freezer overnight and pull out "just enough", so the rest don't thaw, as you seat them. That'll stiffen up the lube a mite.

Keep the die clean, as you have already found. I have no data for pressure in 0.015" shorter or longer length 45 Auto rounds. Pressure at about nominal SAAMI COAL (+/- 0.015") probably doesn't fluxuate radically.

It is certain that some folks reloading for and shooting semis and revolvers, who don't crimp "enough", get a significant reduction or elongation in COAL due to boolit inertia (+/- movement in the case) that changes from shot to shot - and they don't blow up their guns either. It is also certain that a good and consistent taper crimp improves performance.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master

If your TL'd bullets are "sticky" then you are using too much lube. A very light golden coat applied as per Lee's instructions is all that is needed.

With a given load a change in seating depth of .015 in the 45 ACP can change the psi 2,000 - 5,000+ depending on the powder and bullet used and what the psi was at the longer seated depth. The deeper the original seating depth the larger the psi increase can be if seating bullets deeper.
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 01-15-2021 at 09:55 AM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

If you can see the Lube on the bullet -- it's too thick.
    *** THIN ***

Boolit Master
    I would listen to Larry he has the hands on experience to provide good information to us.
    If you had any idea where the recommended load was pressure wise you would have enough information to make an educated guess to shoot them or pull them down. For me it would also make a difference what gun I was going to shoot them from.
    Some times it's just not worth the gamble .

Boolit Master

^^^ What Larry and Mehavey said! If you have a number of boolits "over-lubed" you can soak them in Mineral Spirits overnight to remove the lube, or you can lightly tumble them with powdered mica (Motor Mica) so they're not sticky.

If you're using the lube undiluted you should add Mineral Spirits to it so it pours like water. Or make op some 45-45-10 or Ben's Liquid Lube. THIN COATS!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown