Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading

Thread: Saeco vs H&G

Boolit Master

Saeco vs H&G

I've got a quick question.

Is the Saeco 68 the same boolit as the H&G 68?

From the pictures I've seen it LOOKS like the Saeco has a longer nose.
    NRA Benefactor.

I don't have an original H&G 068. I do have a SAECO & a MP version.

In the photo the SAECO is on the left & MP version on the right.

The SAECO has a slightly sharper & smaller meplat. My SAECO is the BB version which could adds some length (maybe not).

Both of mine feed & shoot just fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-001F.JPG  

Boolit Master

Thanks!

I have a H&G 68 but I'm a sucker for a 200-210 gr SWC for the 45 ACP. I've got a bunch of different ones. My favorites are the RCBS 201-KT and the Lyman 452630.

I wish I could get the RCBS in a four cavity!
    NRA Benefactor.

I had an RCBS 201-KT & really liked it & kept wishing it was a 4 cav.. I gifted it to someone just getting started in casting.

I think it was more similar to the MP-068.

Boolit Master
    So far I haven't found an exact clone of my H&G 68's, I have several H&G's in both bevel and flat base. I can tell you for sure Saeco, Lee and Noe are not exact, but close copies, placed side by side you can see the difference. I think the main consideration is the leading edge of of the H&G semi-wadcutter. H&G designed the #68 to hit the feeding ramp at the exact same spot that a round ball would in the 1911.

If I could find an H&G #68 mold that is for sure the one I would get and use, and I do, but I wouldn't go through life without a #68 for my 1911's because all I could find was a clone of the #68. I have never done any #68 comparison accuracy tests but I can say for sure, clone or not, they all feed well and are a pleasure to shoot.

Boolit Master

I have a 4 cavity H&G 68, I've got the Saeco 68 on the way. I also have a Saeco 265 that I haven't used yet.

I'm low on pure lead. I've got ~700 lbs of Lino but need some pure. My buddy is coming over this week to have me put the brace on his 33 LR Charger and we're going to the dump to get lead that day.

Once I get some pure melted down into ingots I've got a LOT of casting to do. The Saeco 68 will give me around 30 45 ACP molds.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    Thanks! I wish I could get the RCBS in a four cavity!
    I have wished that for years!

Boolit Master

I have a Saeco 8 cavity, 068. My 1911 and my my Glock 30 love them. Boom, Boom, send them out around 1000fps. Just love the mold and the boolit.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    I have a Saeco 8 cavity, 068. My 1911 and my my Glock 30 love them. Boom, Boom, send them out around 1000fps. Just love the mold and the boolit.
    1000 fps????

Man, that's hot. I load mine to around 725-750 and am happy. It helps keep the split times down in matches.

I do have a load for the Hornady 230 XTP that's pushing 925. That load will get your attention very quick. Quite the handful in a LW Commander. I shot three of them through a Glock 36 and quit. It hurt too much.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    1000 fps????

Man, that's hot. I load mine to around 725-750 and am happy. It helps keep the split times down in matches.

I do have a load for the Hornady 230 XTP that's pushing 925. That load will get your attention very quick. Quite the handful in a LW Commander. I shot three of them through a Glock 36 and quit. It hurt too much.
    Ya got me! Wasn't looking at my shooting results. My 45s run mid 800's. Thinking of my 9mm probably. Thanks for correcting me. Surprisingly, my NOE GB 230 grain HP goes out hotter than the 200 gr. SWC. I've shot "hot" loads of my buddy in my Commander, and they were ripping. He loads to max, most of the time. Still, with that pistol, weren't hard to handle. The Glocks are lighter, never tried max loads in any of them. Not that I would be afraid to, just don't load that way. Many are trying to get max velocity, but I often wonder, is it necessary? With less than a max load, the 230 will go thru 3 milk jugs of water and penetrate a 4th. It opens up nicely.
    Last edited by gbrown; 01-20-2021 at 01:30 PM.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Buddy
    From left to right. Lyman 452630, RCBS 45-201 (modified, bevel removed), MP Mold HG68.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	600C8369-17CA-4EE6-8CAC-C9B8C60F122B.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	275727