Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Another High Wall question...

Boolit Master

Another High Wall question...

I've pretty much decided I'm getting a Winchester High Wall. Due to some eye problems I'm probably going to have to scope it to shoot it. Looking at all the pictures I can find, and reading about the mounts available, it looks to me like the scope sits pretty high on the gun. Can anyone who is shooting one scoped comment on this? Can you get your face down on the stock and see through the scope the way you should when shooting off hand and off the bench? Is it too high but that's the only way it can be used? Thanks, I got a lot of good comments on my other thread.

Boolit Master
    Depends entirely on which scope and mounts you plan on using, not to mention the height of the comb on the stock. Details?

Boolit Master
    I have three, 32-40, 30WCF, and 223 being converted to 300 wisper. Traditional Hunter/octagon. Leupold mounts, 30mm low, 8x32 Mueller AO target. Front obj. about .300" off barrel. 6-3" and monkey arms fits me perfect, bench and offhand. The old guard at the Schuetzen matches look down on a little I think. They shoot REALLY well. Love em! Some of the ejectors are missle launchers but that can be tweeked. Are you planning bullet or boolit? Fixed or breech seat?
    Gtek

Boolit Master

Talking

You can mount them too low making it hard for you to get your thumb on the hammer to cock it. On my Traditional Hunters in both 30-30 and 38-55 I have Weaver bases and quick release rings and they work great.

Boolit Master
    I guess I should have added I'm getting the 125th Anniversary model (octagnal barrel) with the English stock and full recoil pad. I found the Leupold mounts on a number of web-sites but didn't find anyone selling Weavers. It seems that I read the Weavers had to be shimmed and I'm not sure if you can get them at this time. The scope will be a Bushnell Elite 4200 3x9 with a 40mm objective.

Boolit Buddy
    My original rebarreled to .44 Mag octagon has a 2" Unertl with Posa mounts. I always found it comfortable to shoot without contortions.

Richard
    Plans and dreams are what we have until life gets in the way.

XNGH E Clampus Vitus, Platrix Chapter No. 2 "Credo Quia Absurdum"

my hunter model with the cresent butt shoots real well with the set-up i pictured on your "other" post. it is not too high but this is not with the shotgun style butt...cant speak for them as i dont have one. i just slip on a removable slip-on pad for the length of pull and away we go.