Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Powder suggestions for 320 grain boolits in 45/70

Boolit Master

Powder suggestions for 320 grain boolits in 45/70

Hey guys, just trying to beat the winter doldrums by doing some load development for my 45/70. I'm targeting the best accuracy at around the 2000 fps MV. I realize each rifle is its own animal, but would like to hear your experiences with various powders under the 300 or so grainers. I have: Varget, H335, Unique, and 2400. Rifle is a ruger number one. Boolit is the 320 grain hammer boolit, from a Mihec mold.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Master
    I don't know that I will be much help have not used any of the the components you listed in 45/70
    In my No3 I can get 1 to 3" groups at a hundred yards with a RCBS GC bullet that is 322 grains ready to load with reloader 7 , 3" groups , and IMR 3031 1 to 2" at around 1800 FPS .

Boolit Master
    I have gotten 1.5 to 2 MOA with the RCBS GC 300 gr Mold throwing about 320 grains,sized .459 in my Marlin 1895's. I have used Rldr 7, H4198, Accurate 2015, and H322, all around 2000fps. Recoil can be significant/noticable. For hunting bigger stuff (elk) or flatter trajectory (out to 250 yards plus) the velocity is beneficial. Just for fun or deer under 150 yards, 1500 fps is much more comfortable. I have used H4198, 5744 and 4227 for the lighter loads.

Boolit Master
    I use Varget, mainly because it is the Unique of rifle powders. Using the jacketed data on Hodgdon’s site for 350gr jsp I get a bit over 1900fps with a 360gr NOE boolit with just under 2” groups at 100 yards from my Marlin Guide Gun and TC Katahdin

Looking at their site again they seem to prefer H322 for lighter boolits but I’d bet Varget would work too.

Banned
    I've used: Varget, Unique, and 2400. under a 340 grn boolit getting my best results (so far) with unique

Boolit Buddy
    I have very good results with IMR-4198. It shoots good out of my Marlin rifles. I havnt shot my Ruger #3, orHandi rifle in a while, so can't say on them, but they had some kick to them.

Dave

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    I've used: Varget, Unique, and 2400. under a 340 grn boolit getting my best results (so far) with unique
    How fast are you pushing them with Unique?
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.