WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Super Redhawk 13.25" Barrel

Boolit Man

Ruger Super Redhawk 13.25" Barrel

I have always wanted a Super Redhawk with a barrel 12" or longer.

Well I finally got the time to turn out my new barrel for my Super Redhawk 9.5", bought a 14" Shilen barrel blank from Brownels. Started out at 1.20" od 14" long and ended up at .910" tapering down over 10.75" to .830" .

I also bought a Barrel off Ebay I cut down to 5.5" and installed screw on front sight.

So now I have the options of changing from 5.5" to 9.5" to 13.25"

The 5.5 will be my carry barrel for hiking or what ever, the 13.25 will be put on for fall hunting with my Scope I used with the 9.5 the 9.5 will most likely set in the gun case. I shoot 295 gr Cast HP with gas checks ahead of a stout load of H110 powder. (My MP Mold also casts 310 gr Flat Nose with gas checks )

This load always has shot well out of my 9.5 and I will see how it works out with the other 2 barrels.

All barrels are set to hand tighten with aprox 1/8 turn left that I tighten to my witness mark under barrels and on bottom of receiver. All three are set to .005" cylinder gap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Long Barrel.jpg   Short Barrel.jpg  

Nice set up. You should have some scorching velocities out of that long barrel and a lot easier carry with the short. Like you figured the best of both.

Banned
    I am in lust, really nice set-up.

Boolit Master
    Due to some of their laws,, the European market requires longer barrels on some guns. I have seen pics of Ruger built,, European marketed Super Redhawks similar to this.

Looks like you did a nice job on this one.

Moderator Emeritus

I would be really interested in seeing the Chrono differences between those two barrels.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Man
    I have a Magneto Speed I will see what it does when I get around to it.
    The One they shipped to Britain I believe is an 18" barrel so it will be classified a Rifle. To bad they didn't sell the barrel cut to 16" so we could customize to any barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    Due to some of their laws,, the European market requires longer barrels on some guns. I have seen pics of Ruger built,, European marketed Super Redhawks similar to this.

Looks like you did a nice job on this one.
    Yes, and I bought one! Definitely does not come close to compensatingfor the lossof my M29. The barrel length seems to have been decided by cutting a standard barrel blank in half. Talk about muzzle heavy! Apparently Ruger only made the one batch of 200, 100 in .44 and 100 .357, specifically for the uk market. This was in 1998 or 1999 when the legislation victimising law abiding target shooters was enacted. The only maker of revolvers that cater for law-abiding target shooters is Taurus.
    "Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.

Boolit Buddy
    Well done. Impressive work.

Boolit Grand Master

Is this a 44 magnum?

Boolit Man
    Yes 44 mag

Boolit Mold
    That's really neat. Good work!

Boolit Master

Can not wait to see how it performs!

When do you think you will get to range test it?
    Last edited by TCLouis; 01-19-2021 at 11:06 PM. Reason: add question
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

How did you get the barrel out of the frame? I have been told that Ruger would not change out a barrel because it stood a big chance of warping the frame. The late John Gallahger told me that there was a really good chance that the frame would have to be drilled out and tapped larger to facilitate a barrel change if it did not unscrew. A friend wanted a 9.5" and never found any smith that wanted to tackle the job. Yours is a great looking gun. Please let us know the velocities from that long tube. I know that my favorite load goes 1016 fps from a 4" barrel 629 and 1236 fps from my 9.5" SRH. Your long barrel will get into rifle territory!
    Last edited by murf205; 01-19-2021 at 10:18 AM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Vendor Sponsor

John Linebaugh won't even take in a SRH because the majority of them are threaded and torqued at the factory in a way that destroys both the frame threads and the barrel threads by the time you get it off. You got VERY lucky! Nice package too!!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Mold
    From what I've read, it's the .454 and .480 SRH that are really difficult to remove the barrels from. Bowen will replace barrels on the .44s, but not the others. I've seen JRH built SRHs with custom barrels as well, so I know it's done.

Boolit Man
    Ok, I got a chance to test the velocity using the Magneto Speed, the 5.5" barrel with the 295gr Cast HPGC average Velocity was 1398 fps.
    The 13.25" barrel with same bullet and load gave an average of 1594 fps.
    Will not get to check out how it groups until we have better weather, the load was a good shooter in the 9.5" barrel so I am hoping for good results in these barrels as well.

Boolit Man
    The barrel was not extremely tight when I pulled it, I was expecting it to be a bear. What I did notice is as I was spinning off the barrel at about 4 or 5 turns it picked up metal like stainless does. Had to let set with Kroil, wiggle back and forth until it freed up turn a bit adding Kroil, let set for a while, then turn it one revolution, use more Kroil let set wiggle back and forth then turn one more revolution and keep up the process until it came apart.

Banned

how would you even carry that thing. Sorry but no fan of long barreled handguns here. Longest id even consider is 7.5 and prefer 6 and under. Heck if i wanted something that big id grab my 94 winchester or marlin. Gets to the point that you cant really even call it handgun hunting. but to each his own.

Boolit Buddy
    Nice project.
    Came out real well.

Had a SBH 10.5 that was used when i got it.
    After about 400 more rounds of hot unique and 256 hard cast the chambers were sticky even with factory loads.

Longest barreled handgun i ever owned. Traded it to a smith cowr a NIB 223 axis for the wife with full disclosure.
    Picked up another SBH in 44 a week later in my favorite barrel length on the SBH of 5.5 inches.

One thing I'll say is with that long sight radius is was easy to make 135 yard shots with open sights with just a touch of hold over on the gong.

Yup fod each their own I prefer my large frame revolvers 6 and under with a preference of 5.5

But have 44's from 2 to 6 inch.
    My all time favorite revolver round.

Really not to many problems a large frame revolver can't fix.
    My feed back

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-Small-anvils

I also leave feed back

Banned

I agree on you with the 44s. Its what the 41s and 45s want to be. Make mine a da 4inch or a single action 4 5/8s though. I dont shoot deer past a 100 yards and rarely past 50. Id much rather a holster gun that can be presented fast then a long barreled thing in a shoulder holster with scope that slows it down more. I call the wheelbarrow guns. Ive killed 1000 lb bison at a 100 yards with a 4 inch vaquero. There hand rifles. I dont even consider it handgun hunting when a barrel is over 8 inches. Shooting a 10 in barreled scoped handgun off a rest (only way you can shoot them) takes no more skill then shooting a 44 marlin with a scope at the same range. I started handgun hunting with a scoped tc. Quickly found it took no skill so went to a 7.5 in super blackhawk with a 2x leupold. Found at a 100 yards it took no more skill then the tc. So pulled the scope off and finally it too a bit of work to aquire the skill to use it. Wasnt long and i got bored that too and started hunting with 4-6 inch guns. Nice thing about them is you can holster them, walk in the woods about forgetting you have one on and when the time comes can be presented in a second. Found too off a bench shooting groups at 50 yards the short barrels gave up nothing to the long ones. Maybe now with old eyes at a 100 the long barrels would give me a small advantage but with my old eyes i dont even bother handgun hunting anymore. I proved long ago im more then skilled enough to do it. Dont have to prove a thing. Dont get me wrong. Theres nothing wrong with handgun hunting. I didnt pick up a rifle for over 20 years. But like i said my eyes are getting to the point where at 50-100 i would no longer be a 100 percent confident and am sure not going to risk wounding an animal to prove something and im not pushing a wheelbarrow through the woods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast