Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are you using for .43 mauser brass?

Boolit Bub
    Could we resurrect this 2-year old thread, please? I'm just restoring my first .43 Mauser and was reading about the current brass situation. I'm looking at some cases from Rocky Mountain Cartridge. They are made to original Mauser specifications on a CNC machine. Has anyone any experience with this brand? The current price is $68/20 cases.
    Peter

Boolit Grand Master

PM me I inherited a batch of original brass converted with shotgun primers and I have no use for it.

43 mauser

I have some new bertram brass that i annealed before using. ( note: check the case length I had one that was .050 longer than others and it wrinkled when I seated a boolit ) no problems so far with 18 gr 4759 or ffg. I also made some out of 45-90 and they form very easy and work fine in my 71 carbine. the 71-84 has a recess in the bolt and the rim has to have about .010" removed from diameter to fit. If I had nothing else the 45-90 is cheap, simple to form and works so that would be my first choice.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Boolit Mold

1888 rounds

hi ,has anyone fired any rounds from the 1880's? I opened up a blue ten pack produced 2/17/1888 and fired three random picked rounds. All three fired as new, first case came out clean as before but other two split and came out blackened these were fired from 71/84 thanks.

Funny you should ask about the patronen 88 --
    I fired my last batch about 20 years ago with all going bang and good cases -- They need to be washed quickly as the primers are mercuric and attack the brass -
    While I still use the brass , probable loss due to the mercury has been moderate.
    The cases convert to shotshell primers fairly easily, but i still have a small stock of berdan primers and have not converted any since the 60's when the military cases were all that was available.

Banned
    I have acces to a stash of 4000+ berdan primers so if anybody has "surplus" berdan primed brass lying around send me a PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    necks before using (I never did) but otherwise positive. Geez, last 43 Mauser I bought was $32/20, and 43 Spanish was on sale at $27/20 . I see it's up to $50/20 now.

.................Buckshot
    If you think that is bad, check the prices on .577-450!

Boolit Man
    splitting after the first shot? if after reloading, annealing the case necks more often should help

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ed in North Texas View Post
    If you think that is bad, check the prices on .577-450!
    ...............I have 100 Bertram cases. The most I've paid per 20 was $108 from Huntington, and the least was $83/20 once when Midway had them on their clearance list. After buying 577-450 brass , when I heard others complain about brass prices for some common cartridge I'd just smirk I bought a bunch of the Jamison brass 3 years ago but haven't used any of it yet.

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Years ago I loaded 9.5x51 using the Bell "A" base brass. Worked great. Tried 45-70 brass with reduced rim diameter. It split mid body due to the expansion there.

Boolit Grand Master

I bought 43 Mauser Bertram brass recently and have had no problems.

Moderator Emeritus
    I have 60 rounds of Bertram 43 Mauser brass that have been fired 6 times in a Model71 with no problems.

I did anneal them before using just something I do with all PB brass and I will probably anneal them before there next loading.

I haven't had any splits but that may be due to my preventative annealing?

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

I just tried the belted mag brass the other day and it worked surprisingly well in my 1871. I set the sholder back to far the first time but after fire forming they worked great.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZkZfigH2pg

Boolit Master
    I found that There Is plenty Of Original Military brass @ Gun shows. I generally Pull them apart. anneal, reprime with Berdan"s #6.45mm. . I also have CIL. stuff and Remington.
    There are plenty of Large Berdan's around .
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Bub
    I've been using 45-90 brass with the rim turned down and the case shortened a hair. I use AA5744 at 28gr with 375gr bullet. Accurate said I could actually go to (MAX) 30gr but the recoil now is enough for my old shoulder. When I reform I only do the neck with a cut down Lee 43 mauser FL die and still use the expander.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12