Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let’s talk about roll crimpers!

Let’s talk about roll crimpers!

I have quite a few roll crimpers. Seems everyone has a BPI roll crimper. Nothing wrong with them, once you get the hang of them. Leaves the mouth of the roll a little thick and at times, lumpy.

The nylon crimper from SlusRUs are absolutely junk, IMO.

GAEP are great roll crimpers, but are very sensitive to RPM’s. Wasted many 12 ga hulls trying to mail it down. Not to be confused with their finishing roll crimpers which I’m in love with.

The Reloaders Network 4 pin roll crimpers are the best I’ve used so far. They give factory roll crimps and aren’t too fussy about RPM’s.

Here’s a video I did comparing the BPI single pin roll crimpers verses TRN’s 4-pin roll crimper:

https://youtu.be/JCZCrXakcMM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

It may be over simplified, but it sure seems to me that with roll crimpers, the more pins, the better they are. Good to see you back at it, I assume you all overcame Covid-19 with no drama. I've got both a 1 pin, and the 2 pin roll crimper in 12 gauge from BPI. I'm not impressed with the 1 pin at all. I also have the 1 pin in 16 gauge, and again, not impressed at all. It seems you have to be so careful, or you can easily crimp them crooked. The 2 pin is miles ahead better, but only available in 12 gauge.

I've heard good things about the crimper from Precision Reloading, but have not tried them myself. I also have an old Lyman roll crimper, that has an arm you push in. It works great with 2 3/4", but nothing else. I may have to try these 4 pin crimpers. Have you tried them on once fired fold crimped shells?

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    It may be over simplified, but it sure seems to me that with roll crimpers, the more pins, the better they are. Good to see you back at it, I assume you all overcame Covid-19 with no drama. I've got both a 1 pin, and the 2 pin roll crimper in 12 gauge from BPI. I'm not impressed with the 1 pin at all. I also have the 1 pin in 16 gauge, and again, not impressed at all. It seems you have to be so careful, or you can easily crimp them crooked. The 2 pin is miles ahead better, but only available in 12 gauge.

I've heard good things about the crimper from Precision Reloading, but have not tried them myself. I also have an old Lyman roll crimper, that has an arm you push in. It works great with 2 3/4", but nothing else. I may have to try these 4 pin crimpers. Have you tried them on once fired fold crimped shells?
    I have. I’ll have to post pics.

Banned

I took my BPI single pin today and added 2 more pins. It really works good now.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
    Here’s a video I did comparing the BPI single pin roll crimpers verses TRN’s 4-pin roll crimper:

https://youtu.be/JCZCrXakcMM
    Dang, what a difference
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

I have three of these tools. A BPI single pin which was my first one, a Lyman which has 6 bumps, and the 4 pin one I got from the Reloader Network. It works the best.

I run mine on my Bridgeport Mill because I can control the speed on that machine better than any other. I have found that 150-200 rpms works the best. I use Vaseline applied with a Q Tip to the inside to the Roller, and I also pre heat the Tool with a heat gun so my first crimps come out perfect.

Once you get the hang of using these tools you can make Professional Quality Shotshell Ammo.

On a side note; I have one of the Russian made hand operated Roll Crimpers and it has three "ramps" in it instead of pins or bumps. It works OK and if you needed to load rounds away from your shop it would be a viable way to go. I think substituting a GAEP Roll Crimp Head for the Russian made head on the manual tools would produce perfect crimps.

Speed appears to be less of a factor than the overall design of the tools.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 01-16-2021 at 04:49 AM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Mold
    Could someone please post a picture of the roll crimps to which you are referring to?

Thank You,

Tatu

Quote Originally Posted by Tatu View Post
    Could someone please post a picture of the roll crimps to which you are referring to?

Thank You,

Tatu
    For 12 and 20 ga?

Let’s talk about roll crimpers!

Here’s BPI’s single pin roll crimpers:

Here’s TRN 4 pin roll crimper:

Banned

BPI changed the design of the 1 pin. Mine does not have the dish in the center pin like BT's. It is flat. I just got it last week so it must be something they are now doing.

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    BPI changed the design of the 1 pin. Mine does not have the dish in the center pin like BT's. It is flat. I just got it last week so it must be something they are now doing.
    They also started selling GAEP products too.

Boolit Mold
    I am a fan of the metal Precision Reloading Roll Crimper. Less flat on the end of the crimp than the BPI tools, SEEMs to feed smoother in pumps and autos.

Just my .02,
    LeonCarr

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    I finally gave up and ordered crimpers from TRN a few days ago. Having read everything and watched every YT video on the subject, I thought it was worth the added cost to get basically any shell to recrimp and crimp nicely.

There is good work being done on this forum, as usual,,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master

I just use the cheap $16.00 roll crimpers off of e-bay from Russia. They have worked for thousands of rounds in my 12 and 16 gauge guns.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

What I look for in a good Roll crimp is a full radius on the nose of the hull. The radius on the outside helps with feeding, and the radius on the inside helps the Crimp smoothly straiten out during firing.

Also the Radius on the inside tend to work the hull less.

The BPI crimpers leave a square edge on the outside which tends to leave a crease in the hulls mouth that doesn't straiten out very easily. As a result the hull is not as easy to reload and requires being reshaped.

The best slug hulls I have reloaded are the Blue Federal Low Recoil Slug hulls. Their crimps unfold smoother than anything I've seen. I also run them thru the mandrel with the heat gun on them and they end up re crimping perfectly. I use these strictly for loading Lee 1 oz Slugs and they shoot almost as well as the factory slugs do out of my guns.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

dang you all to heck leon, there went 150 bucks
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Here’s what the 12 ga version looks like:

Boolit Master

I use the Lyman version designed in the early to mid fifties.
    Scott
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20181129_144524.jpg   20181129_144401.jpg   20181129_144224.jpg   20181129_144138.jpg   20181222_121048.jpg  

20181129_144327.jpg  
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Banned

I have an antique hand crank that looks like the Lyman version. Problem is it will only fold over the crimp about 1/16".

Right now I need to find some pulleys to slow down my drill press. Or do you guys think a veriac would work? vfd's are way to expensive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast