WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lil'Gun in 357 magnum: Accuracy? What accuracy?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    That is not a GC bullet.

Lil'Gun is not a powder to use for low velocity/low pressure loads. Indeed save it for use with top end loads using jacketed bullets.

The trailboss load shoots well because the velocity is relatively low and the powder is burning efficiently.

I suggest reading the Lyman #3 Cast bullet handbook, particularly the chapters in the front regarding loading cast bullets. It is available as a download now.
    I will do that, thank you! It's on my reading list.

EDIT: Holy smokes, the PDF is over 300MB. That's a great scan, we are lucky to have that available.

I also placed an order for a 25pc sample of the 230gr WC bowling pin bullet from Badman Bullets. They provided load data for Lil'Gun which estimates a 1100fps MV with 10.1gr. Been wanting to try these forever, this is a great excuse. Will report back with my experience!
    Last edited by Daekar; 01-14-2021 at 11:25 AM.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Master
    Shooting bullets with an undersized base will produce very poor accuracy regardless of what the bullets measure “in the middle”. The base is critical to good accuracy.

Moderator Emeritus

It is a tough time to ask but how does your gun shoot with factory ammo? That is the standard you're trying to reach. If you shoot 4" at 13 yards with factory the problem isn't in your loads.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Gun shoots fine with factory ammo and with other reloads with another bullet, thank goodness. I was seriously concerned at first that my optic was broken, though, it is really freaky to see that much variation at such short range.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    That is not a GC bullet.

Double dittos

Lil'Gun is not a powder to use for low velocity/low pressure loads. Indeed save it for use with top end loads using jacketed bullets.

The trailboss load shoots well because the velocity is relatively low and the powder is burning efficiently.
    Lil'Gun is really not a handgun powder at all. It was originally designed for the .410 shotgun (hence the name) It has a "fat tail" to the pressure/time curve, which is why it heats up revolver barrels. The "fat tail" gives you good MV at lower peak pressure, but it needs a rifle length barrel to deliver that. That said, I have made it work in a 10" barrelled .357 Max with 185 grain jacketed bullets, pushing them hard, so there is that. I now save what I've got in stock for my .22 Hornet and 2R Lovells. Nothing beats it in those two cartridges.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Bub
    Try a plain base gas check on your bullet. I've had some success with accuracy problems on plain base bullets that the PB check showed much improvement at the upper end of velocity.

I've heard that Lil" Gun is used in Buffalo Bore 180 gr cast load. It's a "powerful" load.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

There’s a video on YouTube where a guy matches the 1500fps with a 180 gr. bullet that Buffalo Bore claims using Lil’Gun. He uses the 180’s with GC from Cast Performance. Noted grizzly guide, Phil Shoemaker has spoke quite a bit about the 357 and those loads for bear protection in Alaska.

Boolit Master

I am no help solving your problem but what do call acceptable accuracy and what do you call good accuracy from your gun?

Lil Gun worked well for me in .22 Hornet and .357 rifle and .41 Magnum 6-1/2" Blackhawk with jacketed bullets with full loads. But when I ran out, I went back to H110/W296 for the magnum loads cast and jacketed in the .41 mag. It is more consistent I believe.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I didn't spend much time with Lil Gun and 158 gr projectiles. I learned early on it performed much better in my 6" with 180 gr Cast Performance WFNCG and even better with Accurate 38-180F. I had to do a lot more load development to get there (backing off just under sticky extraction) but Lil Gun was a lot more consistent for me than H110 with top end loads. You might be able to get 158s to work but I recall velocity spreads of 80+ and a less than stellar group downrange.

Boolit Master
    I was able to test with the 230gr WCs, and they were much better than the 158s, no more shotgun pattern. I will be in the market for a 200gr+ mold when things calm down a bit and the mold makers get a chance to breathe.

I got my hands on some Green Dot (yes, another shotgun powder...) and it has performed great with the 158gr SWCs from Missouri and my own Lee 358-158RF PC'd and sized to 359.

Boolit Master
    A good cleaning, beyond what you actually can "see" in your barrel may solve some of your problem. "Hard Cast" commercial boolits are notoriously hard, and do not obturate well. The flaming hot gases leak past the boolit, melting the lead, and depositing it in your barrel, which may or may not be easily seen. A little gizzie called the Lewis Lead Remover will clean leading out very well, as will a PURE copper pad...Trade name "Chore Girl". There are some pads out there that are copper plated steel. Not good for your barrel! AVOID! Bronze wool wrapped around a bore brush works well, too. Good luck!
    IT IS A FINE AND PLEASANT MADNESS !

As does the old dodge of firing a dozen or so jacketed bullets, followed by a cleaning with copper solvent.
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12