Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Welp, I've just purchased a Hi-Point. Any tips/tricks for using it/loading for it?

Thumbcocker,
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it....

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have a few high points. A c9 a 40 s&w and a 40 carbine. They shot really good for what that are .Went out yesterday and tried out a load in my 40s&w. It was 8.0 gr hs6 with a 165gr plated fp .this shot really really good. My load lately has been 105 gr lee bullet using 4.2 gr of bulseye in my c9 high point. This shoots good also. I shoot unsized using the noe expander for the cases.lubed with 45/45/10 white label lube. Another good load is any lee 9mm bullets 115 to 124 gr and even the lee .358 125 rf bullet. Loaded with 3.5 to 4.0 of bulseye. Good shooting load
    Last edited by Jniedbalski; 02-07-2021 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jniedbalski View Post
    I have a few high points. A c9 a 40 s&w and a 40 carbine. They shot really good for what that are .Went out yesterday and tried out a load in my 40s&w. It was 8.0 gr of auto comp with a 165gr plated fp .this shot really really good. My load lately has been 105 gr lee bullet using 4.2 gr of bulseye in my c9 high point. This shoots good also. I shoot unsized using the noe expander for the cases.lubed with 45/45/10 white label lube. Another good load is any lee 9mm bullets 115 to 124 gr and even the lee .358 125 rf bullet. Loaded with 3.5 to 4.0 of bulseye. Good shooting load
    I believe I have the same exact Lee 105gn .358 SWC mold that you've got as well. Thanks to Idaho Mule, I cast with it for the very first time using a Dipper. I'd have to say that the 2 cavity mold is quite on the finnicky side for a first timer, but it seems quite promising.

I'm not planning on purchasing a sizing die for 9mm boolits (.357 or .358)until I get the Hi-Point in my hands and a handful of loaded rounds downrange. Considering how some people had issues with Factory rounds not engaging the rifling properly, I just want to make sure my Hi-Point C9 is not one of them. I'll have to Alox the boolits but I'm pretty sure that won't cause any issues.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Alox is a good lubricant. I would advise dipping the shank of each boolit into the lube, rather than tumbling. This makes sure that you get a good thick coating. Also, you may find that the expansion die doesn't flare the case mouth of a 9mm enough for an unsized boolit. They are designed with .355 jacketed bullets in mind. The Lyman M die will be what you need in this case, it's about $30.00.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I use NOe expanders with the lee belling tool. Noe’s expander is about 5$ each. You definitely need the expander with oversized bullets. My c9 will shoot .357 .358. Depending on what brass some times .358 might not always chamber all the way but that’s only with certain thick brass. I shoot my bullets un sized

Boolit Master
    Also the older high point pistols had 4 or 6 grove rifling. The new pistols have a two grove barrel

I was able to briefly handle my C9 after we had made the first set of paperwork for the transfer. My immediate first impression of its handling reminded me of a corded power drill. All of the weight's up top and it's very light under the barrel. I'm relieved that even without a magazine it fit well in my hand and pointed quite nicely. I didn't get a good look at the sights but I understand that they are a point of debate.

I've also downloaded their manual and I've got a punch set handy for popping the thing open and taking a look when I finally get it.

Boolit Master
    I hade to take mine apart to. Best advise is don’t just spray out with a can cleaner/ oil. If you do take it appart watch for lying parts. Some are very small and fly to a land of unknowns. God thing high point will ship free parts even if it was my fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Jniedbalski View Post
    I hade to take mine apart to. Best advise is don’t just spray out with a can cleaner/ oil. If you do take it appart watch for lying parts. Some are very small and fly to a land of unknowns. God thing high point will ship free parts even if it was my fault.
    That's something to keep in mind. Thanks for the tip! I've got the manual handy. My bro uses Tetra-Gun lubricant for his 1911. It's a little on the gooey side but it does a great job for him. Would that be something you would recommend for the Hi-Point?

I think I have a couple of mags that fit that firearm [3] interested?

Attachment 276304I bought 2 Hi Point JHP’s about 5 years ago brand new because I got a great deal on them. After shooting one of them quite a bit I decided to modify it . I took the barrel and drilled and reamed it to 5/8” ID and turned a 45 cal. blank down to use as a liner and epoxied it in the factory barrel. I made it 5 1/2” long and threaded it 5/8 x 24 so I could add toys to it and it is now long enough to legally hunt dear with here in OH.
    Well I got to say, Hi Points are tough SOB’ s, I have shot loads that are fully 45 super + loads in it and it doesn’t blink. I also made several attachments for it , a compensator, a micro red dot mount, and a oil filter attachment.
    My eyesight is getting worse by the minute but a few years ago I could hit 16 oz water bottles at 50 yards more times than not with the standard iron sights and have let good shooters who have $1500 1911 target pistols try it and they give me a dumb look like where did you get this ! The thing shoots better than ANY pistol or revolver I have ever seen and is 100 % reliable. I did rework the sear / striker connection and polished the trigger linkage and it now has a “good” trigger without being dangerous.
    You can say they are ugly, heavy, clunky and cheap but don’t bet against one for just plain shooting or being reliable.

Jedman

Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    Attachment 276304I bought 2 Hi Point JHP’s about 5 years ago brand new because I got a great deal on them. After shooting one of them quite a bit I decided to modify it . I took the barrel and drilled and reamed it to 5/8” ID and turned a 45 cal. blank down to use as a liner and epoxied it in the factory barrel. I made it 5 1/2” long and threaded it 5/8 x 24 so I could add toys to it and it is now long enough to legally hunt dear with here in OH.
    Well I got to say, Hi Points are tough SOB’ s, I have shot loads that are fully 45 super + loads in it and it doesn’t blink. I also made several attachments for it , a compensator, a micro red dot mount, and a oil filter attachment.
    My eyesight is getting worse by the minute but a few years ago I could hit 16 oz water bottles at 50 yards more times than not with the standard iron sights and have let good shooters who have $1500 1911 target pistols try it and they give me a dumb look like where did you get this ! The thing shoots better than ANY pistol or revolver I have ever seen and is 100 % reliable. I did rework the sear / striker connection and polished the trigger linkage and it now has a “good” trigger without being dangerous.
    You can say they are ugly, heavy, clunky and cheap but don’t bet against one for just plain shooting or being reliable.

Jedman
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	woodie grips.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	276305
    Here it is! Finally in my hands!

I'm not planning on modifying my Hi-point in any serious way, except for swapping out the original grips for some of Strassel's Hydro-dipped wood texture grips, which remind me of my dad's clock radio.

Keep in mind that I've yet to take it out to the range, but I feel pretty confident in it being an interesting addition to my collection. Apparently I'm its third owner, so the trigger is well worked in. It feels rather funky in comparison to the other triggers I've felt, but it's not bad. Feels like cheating to compare my Model 10-5's trigger to this thing.

Boolit Master
    Have never owned one of the handguns or carbines but have had two friends who have the carbines that have proven to be accurate and reliable.

Been teaching defensive shooting classes since the early 1990s. During that time only two students came to class with HP handguns. The first student's gun was 100% reliable and adequately accurate for the task at hand...after about 500 rounds the gun began to have feed/cycling problems that no amount of cleaning/lubrication seemed to cure. He sold it off and bough something else...

The second gun lasted the student about 1/2 the class and then launched 1/2 the side down range... He sent the gun back, they sent him a replacement which was traded in on a brand new something else...

Bob
    Last edited by RJM52; 01-31-2021 at 11:29 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123