Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sourcing lead in bulk

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    Bing.com search for "bulk lead for sale". 2nd page had this site: https://maycoindustries.com/ I'll let you do the search for others.
    Forget about Rotometals...way too expensive when I went through this. I only bought a ton, but I salvage most of my bullets so I have a life time supply. Being old has some advantages...LOL.

I used Mayco and was very pleased with price and product.
    Don Verna

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Forget about Rotometals...way too expensive when I went through this. I only bought a ton, but I salvage most of my bullets so I have a life time supply. Being old has some advantages...LOL.

I used Mayco and was very pleased with price and product.
    I agree. Took a look at the prices and shut that down quick!

Boolit Buddy
    I'll check Mayco out, they're only a few miles from me.

Banned
    Does anyone know what is Mayco charging for 100# of 2-6?

Bullet Alloys.....Tin (Sn).....Antimony (Sb).....Lead (Pb).....Availability
    .....2/6..............2%................6%............92% .. In Stock (100# min.)

Boolit Buddy
    dupe.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jtm2 View Post
    Doesn't all lead come from overseas now anyways? My question is... how do you find a smelter that is reputable and isn't lying about the composition of their lead...
    I recall reading a few years ago that there are no longer any lead foundries operating in the U.S. and no new galena being mined. IDK how reliable the source was, or if it’s still true.

I seriously doubt any commercial foundry is going to sell directly to an individual caster. A commercial supplier like Roto or Zip that’s been around more than a few years would be reputable or they wouldn’t be in business.

Banned
    Since Remington just fired up its ammunition manufacturing plant, they are looking for 30 tons of lead and a LOT of copper to maintain production.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    I recall reading a few years ago that there are no longer any lead foundries operating in the U.S. and no new galena being mined. IDK how reliable the source was, or if it’s still true.

I seriously doubt any commercial foundry is going to sell directly to an individual caster. A commercial supplier like Roto or Zip that’s been around more than a few years would be reputable or they wouldn’t be in business.
    Missouri still has lead being mined, but had to close the foundries do to environmental laws.

https://doerun.com/media/news/missou...tery-industry/

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markmars View Post
    Missouri still has lead being mined, but had to close the foundries do to environmental laws.

https://doerun.com/media/news/missou...tery-industry/
    I sometimes wonder what the situation is in Mexico, if there’s a foundry close to the border where a big load of alloy could purchased on the cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    I sometimes wonder what the situation is in Mexico, if there’s a foundry close to the border where a big load of alloy could purchased on the cheap.
    This is what I need to know! I'm in Arizona, and a truckload from the border is likely cheaper than from L.A.

I'm looking into becoming a commercial caster as well, and am just trying to research sources at the moment. But as many have said,...the first and foremost supply to secure is a reliable, consistent, certified foundry source. Without discovering that, moving forward with any serious plans is stymied before you begin. The one mining smelter in the state has been out of commission for years while trying to upgrade and retrofit sufficiently to satisfy the EPA. They have finally begun operation again. They are primarily processing copper ore, but they get byproducts of silver, gold and lead. If I could get them to commit to mixing in the proper tin and antimony percentages for me, that would be awesome. I'd love to keep the money in state and local.
    When democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote.

Boolit Buddy
    The commerical caster I sold my Magma Bullet masters to is sourcing his lead from Alibaba. Its all coming from China.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I deleted my post on account I got sucked into responding to an old post.
    Last edited by oley55; 01-05-2022 at 10:46 AM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

mayco is $ 2.00 a pound you pickup in AL
    I would rather fish. Can you shoot fish ?
    ><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>`• .¸¸.•´¯[_____]””””””