Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Estimates Requested for Gifted Items

Boolit Bub

Estimates Requested for Gifted Items

I'm looking for some free opinions from the forum. If this is not the right channel, please speak up or move the thread.

I recently was given a bucket filled with reloading items by a kindly acquaintance whom I see with some frequency. I had freely offered a few handfuls of tumbled pistol brass a few weeks before, which he accepted with gratitude.

When I accepted the bucket, I thanked him and asked what he wanted for them. He told me to take them, sort through everything, and give him whatever I thought they were worth. I agreed, took the bucket home, and sorted it out. After depriming and tumbling all the brass, this is a list of the items:

• (1) RCBS 9MM LU CARBO FL 90 die
    • (1) RCBS 9MM LU SEAT die
    • (1) RCBS #16 shell holder
    • (1) RCBS 38 / 9mm die
    • (1) REDDING 9MM LUGER TAPER CR die
    • (1) RCBS DIE SET BOX
    • (1) RED 50-ROUND 9MM LUGER TRAY
    • (1) WHITE 50-ROUND 9MM LUGER TRAY
    • (2) BOXES WINCHESTER SUPER-X 38 SPECIAL (EMPTY)
    • (3) TRAYS 38 SPECIAL (EMPTY)
    • (2) .380 BRASS CASES
    • (3) .40 BRASS CASES
    • (1) BLUE 4.4 GALLON PLASTIC BUCKET WITH BAIL

• $2.49 (1) MTM Case-Gard P50 9mm - .380 Auto, Capacity 50 Rounds
    • $20.99 (50) 9mm Luger Reloads, 115 grain, JHP
    • $59.97 (3) BOXES HORNADY PISTOL BULLETS #35580 9MM CAL. 147 GRAIN .355 BTHP/XTP @ 100, SEALED - $19.99
    • $39.98 (2) BOXES HORNADY PISTOL BULLETS #35580 9MM CAL. 147 GRAIN .355 BTHP/XTP @ 100, UNSEALED - $19.99

• (1,464) DEPRIMED MIXED HEADSTAMP BRASS AND NICKEL 9MM LUGER CASES
    • (121) DEPRIMED MIXED HEADSTAMP NICKEL 9MM LUGER CASES
    • (4) PRIMED MIXED HEADSTAMP BRASS 9MM LUGER CASES

So I did a brief search online for the items listed above and typed prices next to the things I really want. The fired brass is in good shape, and prices for ~1.5K of 9mm I would estimate at a cash value of around $60. I don't have much use for the dies, as I already have sets for the cartridges I need. I intend to de-boolit the reloads.

My relationship with this fine gentlemen is priceless, to the point that the items given are worthless in comparison. I do not want to offend him, but he's pretty well natured and straight shooter regardless. I'll probably ask him again if he had a number in mind, and pay more than that if he does. If he doesn't, I'll give him a high number, and ask him if that's too low.

I appreciate any helpful estimates, anecdotes, experience, or opinions from the group.

Boolit Buddy
    That's a tough one. I really dislike buying and selling with friends. It always seems like I came out of the deal with a sour taste in my mouth. My preference is to make a trade. He has reloading supplies sitting around us doesn't need, and maybe you have a chainsaw in the shed that needs a new carb.

Boolit Master
    Just my opinion to throw a cash value out there, which is what i think your asking for a second opinion on (i believe you already have a estimated value in mind), i would be comfortable paying around $125-150 or so for what you describe. Most of the price is driven by the dies and NIB bullets.

Brass value is a bit subjective in my mind, I have bought, traded and given away a bunch. In my area (close to DC and several Military bases) 9mm, 5.56 and .40 are easily found as range pick up. I can buy mixed yellow brass at my local scrapper by the lb for scrap value.

For the things you don't want/need offer them up here or locally and split the proceeds with your friend as it sells.

The other option is to provide the unwanted bits to a new reloaded free of charge to pay it forward.

Moderator Emeritus

The few friends I have that'd do something like that, would just give the stuff away and wouldn't want any money.
    It's tough to give advice on this, if he needs the money and you know this stuff is excess to his needs and he'd just like the stuff gone. Then I'd offer to him, that you sell all the stuff you can't use or don't want, give him the proceeds and the items you keep are the commission.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

1) Find out what the cost per pound and the waste disposal facility charges to let the friend know how much money he will be saving by giving it away rather than dumping it on you. 2) Let him know what your time is worth compared to your rate of pay where you work. 3) Let him know he can do his own leg work and put them on Ebay. Or

Take the high road and let him know you will contact a group of individuals (cast boolits) who are looking for these items and let the free market decide what his items are worth. Some things are going at stupid prices on Ebay, but not necessarily on this site. These items are clearly not of value to him and seemingly you as well. Offer him 20 bucks to take the bucket off his hands.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master
    Dang fc, that's a cold answer for the OP…

I believe it is more of the philosophical value and worth question. The giver (kindly acquaintance) may hold a low estimation of the value of what he is giving away, with no details of either party's financial situation, nor should it ne necessary. The OP understands what was given is worth and wants to compensate the giver appropriately and is attempting to come up with a commensurate value to be returned. This now puts the pressure on the OP to balance the value and worth to come up with the appropriate compensation.

The goal is to do what is right so that both parties are satisfied in the end.

Boolit Master
    The goal is to do what is right so that both parties are satisfied in the end.
    That is my position as well. But I'm too old to know any better.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.