Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: .243 losing popularity?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    For energy levels, yes. For ballistic coefficient, no. To equal the BC of the 6.5mm bullet in any other caliber requires heavy-for-caliber bullets and sometimes faster than normal twist rates.

The high BC gives the 6.5 disproportionately higher energy downrange.
    While I don't disagree at all; it is not a serious consideration for most hunters/shooters.
    You have to get way out there before the advantages of a 6.5CM begin to be real factors.
    If I was target shooting at long ranges and wanted (or was required to use) a short action, the 6.5CM may very well be the best choice. Not sure.

The 6.5CM gets a lot of hype and a lot of marketing. I'm not saying its a bad cartridge, I'm saying I've seen this act before.
    Short/fat cartridges are very efficient and can be very good performers. But there needs to be big gains before before those improvements really tip the scales.

I'm not disparaging the 6.5CM but I'm not convinced the gap between the 243 and 7mm-08 is big enough to require some short action cartridge in the middle. The marketing people think I'm wrong and I may be.

SO - getting back to the OP's question about the 243 being in danger because of the 6.5CM in the market - I just don't think there's a big enough gap between what the 243 does and what the 7mm-08 does (both outstanding cartridges in my book) that the 6.5CM will kill off the 243.

Boolit Grand Master

The 6.5 Creedmore is simply " The New Kid In Town" in a few years another "new kid" will come along .
    I well remember when the 243 came to town ... new kid who could do it all ... wood chucks to deer, flat trajectory and no recoil ... you had to have one . Now is where you play the Eagles song ...New Kid in Town .
    It's still a good round . My first rifle was a 30-06 , next a 7X57 Mauser and last a 30-30 ... there isn't much those three wont handle so I have no big burning need for the 6.5 CM but it to is a good cartridge . The 243 has proven itself and lots of them are in the hands of happy hunters . Think about what you want to do with it , pick accordingly and have fun ...that's what it's all about !
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 01-13-2021 at 08:45 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Banned
    "The New Kid in Town" is an excellent description.

Sometimes the new kids stays around and is useful, sometimes he drifts on down the road. Only time will tell.

Boolit Man
    "Think about what you want to do with it , pick accordingly"

I plan to punch paper with it. But if the opportunity to hunt ever appears, maybe still hunt with it.
    With that in mind, I'm going with a varmint weight barrel, maybe somewhere around .800 at the muzzle. Classic style stock, Scope mounted.
    I like irons, but I'm losing to glaucoma so there's that.
    Probably be a 100 yard fun gun. I have "big 30's", but they are too punishing on this 70+ beat up body, hence the change to 6mm. My .223 is like Chinese food. 30 minutes after I leave the range I want to shoot some more! LOL
    Maybe something like my Savage 110L in '06, only a bit less of a hammer!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg  
    Pay no attention to the mess in my shop. My best work comes from chaos!

Boolit Grand Master

I don't think the 243 is going anywhere. There are a lot of new 6MM cartridges nowadays that are getting some of the 6mm market but a lot of them are only available to handloaders. You won't find ammo for them at Walmart or at the corner hardware store. As far as the CM's go, time will tell if they are here to stay or not.

I built a custom 243 a few years ago. I looked at all of the 6mm choices and chose the 243 because it can do everything that any of the other 6mm's do. Mine has a fast twist barrel but I use it on Prairie Dogs at long range. When the barrel is shot out I will probably go back with a 6BR.

A lot of my friends got 243's for their Sons and Daughters to deer hunt with. They work ok with good shot placement. Most use a premium 100 grain bullet. They shoot pretty flat and the recoil is mild.

Boolit Master

IMO, "The New Kid in Town" is a good way to sell new rifles.

I just bought a 6.5 Creed Hawkeye left handed. Wish I did it a LONG TIME AGO.

6.5mm, especially in the Creed, is perhaps the most versatile bottle neck cartridge there is with jacketed bullets.

There are good varmint offerings (<100 grains), medium game offerings (110-140 grains), and even big game bullets (>140). I haven't messed with varmint stuff yet, but the 129 grain Hornady Interlock is a solid deer bullet and not crazy expensive. The 140 speer hot cor is great too. Scary accurate. Should I ever want to go after Elk (like in that magical future where I have the money and retain basic liberties) I will get some big game bullets.

6mm and .257 have no popular big game bullets. These are varmint and deer cartridges. For just a little more caliber and cost you can make weight for big game with the 6.5, which does have big game bullets, and always has. It is truly a varmint/deer/elk caliber and has less recoil and cost compared to larger calibers. I think 6.5 has a bright future. I think 6mm, .257, 7mm, and .338 don't. In the end I think a consolidation into .233, 6.5, .308, 358 is going to happen. Just look at how 300 Blackout has basically smashed 6.8 SPC. I have no doubt 6.5 Creede is not only smashing all the other 6.5s except maybe the venerable Swede and the Grendel, it is smashing 6mm and .257.

The 155 grain Lapua Mega, the 160 grain Hornady Interlock, are all old and well known proven bullets. The 143 grain Hornady VLD-X bullet is rated for big game (300 lbs +). And these smaller 6.5 bullets are usually less expensive than 30 caliber or even 7mm.

Dwell on the fact that 6.5 mm can deliver a lot of energy at distance despite relatively modest muzzle data. 6.5 has the sleekest bullets of all the calibers it seems.

The 6.5x55 Swede has a long and storied history. The Creed equals or exceeds its performance with lighter charge weights in a short action cartridge with standard head size.

The 1:8 twist standard in Creeds is perfect.

No bottle neck cartridge I've ever worked with has gone as far without needing neck sizing.

I say if you think you want a DO it all rifle using J-words you can't go wrong. Sort of like .30-'06, only smaller, more efficient, and with cheaper bullets.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    Do you fellows that deer hunt with a 243 get exit wounds and decent blood trails?
    Well, yes but I only take heart/lung shots no matter what I'm using so the longest blood trails I've ever had to follow were less than 50 yards.

IF I were concerned about big exit holes I'd chose a premium bullet (Nosler) but I've only used common 100 gr Rem Corelocks and similar Hornady's; haven't seen any difference in effect between them. (Nor any difference in effect with my next most used .30-06 except there's a lot more blood-shot meat with it.)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by curioushooter View Post

6.5mm, especially in the Creed, is perhaps the most versatile bottle neck cartridge there is with jacketed bullets.

There are good varmint offerings (<100 grains), medium game offerings (110-140 grains), and even big game bullets (>140). I haven't messed with varmint stuff yet, but the 129 grain Hornady Interlock is a solid deer bullet and not crazy expensive. The 140 speer hot cor is great too. Scary accurate. Should I ever want to go after Elk (like in that magical future where I have the money and retain basic liberties) I will get some big game bullets.

6mm and .257 have no popular big game bullets. These are varmint and deer cartridges. For just a little more caliber and cost you can make weight for big game with the 6.5, which does have big game bullets, and always has. It is truly a varmint/deer/elk caliber and has less recoil and cost compared to larger calibers. I think 6.5 has a bright future. I think 6mm, .257, 7mm, and .338 don't. In the end I think a consolidation into .233, 6.5, .308, 358 is going to happen. Just look at how 300 Blackout has basically smashed 6.8 SPC. I have no doubt 6.5 Creede is not only smashing all the other 6.5s except maybe the venerable Swede and the Grendel, it is smashing 6mm and .257.

The 155 grain Lapua Mega, the 160 grain Hornady Interlock, are all old and well known proven bullets. The 143 grain Hornady VLD-X bullet is rated for big game (300 lbs +). And these smaller 6.5 bullets are usually less expensive than 30 caliber or even 7mm.

Dwell on the fact that 6.5 mm can deliver a lot of energy at distance despite relatively modest muzzle data. 6.5 has the sleekest bullets of all the calibers it seems.

The 6.5x55 Swede has a long and storied history. The Creed equals or exceeds its performance with lighter charge weights in a short action cartridge with standard head size.

No bottle neck cartridge I've ever worked with has gone as far without needing neck sizing.

I say if you think you want a DO it all rifle using J-words you can't go wrong. Sort of like .30-'06, only smaller, more efficient, and with cheaper bullets.
    I bought a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor about a year ago and like it a lot. Now that deer season is over, I am gonna try cast in it. Between the ones Dad had and the ones I have left over from the abortion that was my Swedish Mauser time, I have a lot of 6.5 cast bullets.

Whether I try to deer hunt with cast in it remains to be seen. I have successfully hunted deer with cast in a 7mm, doesn't seem like it would be much different.

Boolit Master

Few know but the .243 can be had in a AR-10 platform , I do not care for any of the AR's but i think a AR-10 with a upper in .243 Winchester and a upper in .338 Federal would be a heck of a thing to have!
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

"Few know but the .243 can be had in a AR-10 platform , I do not care for any of the AR's but i think a AR-10 with a upper in .243 Winchester and a upper in .338 Federal would be a heck of a thing to have!" - firefly1957

I recently had built one of those .243s with a heavy BCA 20" barrel with a long handguard/rail and mounted a good scope on it. Have only fired a few test rounds through it to get scope sighted in and check the test loads. Weather has not been suitable to pursue it further. Operates great so far.

I have a Browning A-Bolt in .243 that has a slower rate of twist and just will not handle 100 grain bullets due to its slower rate of twist. Guess it was made for lighter bullets, 85 grains and down. Have some cast boolits to try in it. The BCA barrel has a faster rate of twist, 1 in 8" I believe. Big Boomer
    Last edited by Big Boomer; 01-15-2021 at 01:14 PM. Reason: additional info

Boolit Master
    Then there is the 260 Rem. right off of the 243/308 case. The trick was that Remington did not sell it with tight twist barrels.

You twist up the 260 and it will be right there with the Creed, just a bit more boiler room. I have standard twist Savage take off barrels in 260 bought cheap when the rush was to switch to the “new kid”. My nephew wanted Creed real bad, I said borrow this blued 260 barrel and cure your itch for a spell. The one thing he misses is the tight twist for 140+ gr bullets, oh well! Again you twist the 260 and you are there.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

The .243 will fade away right after the 30-30 does.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    There are three chamberings that should last for eternity. They are the .243, the .308, and the .358 Win. Why? They are all based on the same brass, all are easy to reform to the desired design, and with the three, you can hunt the world.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    The .243 will fade away right after the 30-30 does.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    Amen. That's the best comment yet.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by curioushooter View Post

Maybe it's just me, but I have a hard time believing anyone could tell the difference on an elk between a 243 win with a 100gr Nolser partition at 3100+ FPS, compared to a 6.5 CM with a 140gr bullet (including partiition) at 2700+ FPS.

I wouldn't use either one for elk since I own a 308 win, but I don't doubt the 243 win and 6.5 CM would be ethical choices as well.

Texas By God hit the nail on the head.

I've spent most of my 67 years in rural S.E. Oklahoma. Off the top of my head, I can remember even the most remote country stores always having .243, 30-30, 270 and 30-06 on the shelves. To me, it seems the latest and greatest cartridges that suddenly become all the rage fit the AR15 platform.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

The .243 will be around, and still be 'on the job' longer than any of us will.

And any place that sells ammo, will always have a few boxes of it on the shelf.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I own a 243 in a 1967 600, a 700 VLS, and 2 AR 10's. The only thing I wish is I had more brass and bullets to go with them! It's my favorite coyote caliber. I remember back in the 80's and 90's when this caliber was a king for benchrest competition. I tested out my latest 20" BCA 243 upper the other day and it's on it's way back for a barrel replacement. It's the only 243 I owned that wouldn't shoot all its bullets in the same hole.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by firefly1957 View Post
    Few know but the .243 can be had in a AR-10 platform , I do not care for any of the AR's but i think a AR-10 with a upper in .243 Winchester and a upper in .338 Federal would be a heck of a thing to have!
    I have one in 6.5 Creedmoor
    that rifle is very,very accurate and puts some bolt guns to shame
    that is why I came to the 6.5 game to begin with now I have a bolt gun in same cal and that is another favorite
    but can you imagine a AR 10 in 358 win?
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast