WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Am I doing something wrong for 3” shells?

Am I doing something wrong for 3” shells?

Both my load all 2 and my new mec presses have issues when loading 3” hulls where the hull buckles or squished down forming a ring at the bottom. For the 12 gauge I’ve tried 3/4” pvc as a support but that won’t let the final crimp come down far enough. Am I missing something? No issues with 2 3/4” shells in either gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Neither press offers very much support for a 3", even with the PVC trick. The MEC does have a cam adjustment, as can be seen here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apCrfKHUDGk
    The Lee has no adjustment, so if it can not crimp without buckling, you simply have too much in the hull. You either need to remove a spacer if you have them, or use less shot.

I'm going to try and help, but I'm just pretty much a novice at it myself, so I know someone else will come along with some better information and better help.

I have a Lee Load All II for 12 ga., which I used a couple of years ago to load up what is probably a lifetime supply for a guy looking at age 80. They were 2 3/4ths inch hulls and were originally loaded with buckshot. It's hard to get satisfactory results changing from a roll crimp to a fold crimp, so I went with the roll crimp again, using a roll crimp tool in my drill press. The results were very good. During that session, with a lot of book reading and trial and error I learned that best results are had with a shot column that is exactly the right height for the crimp to roll down on the overshot card wad and hold everything secure. I never tried to load 3 inch hulls on the Lee, don't know if it can be changed to accommodate them or not-- but I would think so. Everything has got to be just right for a good fold crimp as well, as I just learned again a couple of weeks ago loading .410 shells. Lee does not, and never has made a .410 press, and for some reason says that they probably never will. Why? Your guess is as good as mine.

So, I was looking for a new and interesting reloading project for this winter, and got lucky with obtaining 200 each Cheddite primed 2 1/2 and 3 inch hulls. Once again I re-learned the lesson that the powder/wad/amount of shot has to be just the right length to allow for good crimping. Since I already had used and liked the roll crimp on the 12 ga. I decided to go with that first. I found on my first 8 or so hulls the tool rolled them down to where they were 2 1/4 inch shells. I had to adjust the shot column by putting a fiber wad about as thick as an aspirin tablet over the powder, then the wad/shot cup filled with No. 7 shot. The next 40 or so were perfect, 2 1/2" long and a good roll crimp.

Then I decided to try the 3 inch shells. Mind you, I didn't have to resize and reprime any of these, so the 2 1/2 inch hulls I just loaded on my desk individually by weighing and pouring in the powder, inserting the wad, shot cup, weighing out the shot, pouring it in and tamping it down with a lead pencil. Then I put the overshot card on top and roll crimped. But for the 3 inch hulls I had purchased a new bottom of the line MEC Jr. (nice press despite cost) which came from the factory set up for 3 inch hulls. I've got lots of time and try to be a perfectionist, so I again weighed out the charges and shot, then fold crimped them on the press. The first couple were a bit too short and the fold pressed in a bit too far leaving a small hole in the center where you can see a shot and which might leak in field carry. So I attempted to adjust the length of the shot column again using fiber wad over the powder charge, and got a couple that were a bit too long
    for the folds to close completely. I halved the thickness of the fiber wad and finally got the correct length and some nice crimps--but learned that the press is very finicky about the thickness of that wad because I bulged 5 of them just above the brass. They would always bulge if I pulled the press handle down as far as it would absolutely go, so I developed a feel for it where I can just feel the top of the hull starting to fold and cave inward a bit. After that they were all good.

So, there's the sum total of my experience, and I'd say that a major part of your problem is getting the length of the shot column right. Unfortunately, this is somewhat complicated now days with the components shortage, and finding a load recipe that uses what you are able to obtain.

Here's some photos showing the problems I encountered and the eventual acceptable results.

Roll crimps. Some to the rear are visibly shorter.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM006678.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	275233

Some bulged cases.

Name:	IM006686.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	275235

Better.

Name:	IM006684.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	275236

DG
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IM006682.jpg  
    Last edited by Der Gebirgsjager; 01-13-2021 at 05:06 PM.

Boolit Master

DKG,
    The Mec has an adjustment for 3" shells, look at the back of the base section. take out that bolt, raise the column up and re-insert the bolt into the next hole in the column. Take care to keep the column centered as you tighten that bolt down. This gives you the extra 1/4" you need to crimp the longer hulls.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

I fiddled with my MEC 600 for quite a while to get decent crimp on 3" shells. In the end I machined the crimp-head to accept a steel tube to give support for another 5/16" or so. If i remember correctly, I added a third hole higher up on the column, with a larger bolt, for a more solid setup. Another trick is to crimp the shells in two stages.
    Cap'n Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    DKG,
    The Mec has an adjustment for 3" shells, look at the back of the base section. take out that bolt, raise the column up and re-insert the bolt into the next hole in the column. Take care to keep the column centered as you tighten that bolt down. This gives you the extra 1/4" you need to crimp the longer hulls.
    I’ll try that this weekend. I’ve taken to roll crimping new 3 inch hulls until I can get it figured out.

Boolit Master
    You don't say which MEC press you have, but all the manuals are here.
    https://www.mecoutdoors.com/owners-manuals-sr

Quote Originally Posted by bdicki View Post
    You don't say which MEC press you have, but all the manuals are here.
    https://www.mecoutdoors.com/owners-manuals-sr
    Sorry, they’re the 600 mark 5