Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: School me about onions

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O

School me about onions

We were getting a 3Lb bag of sweet onion. They sucked looks, texture, off-taste, and funning looking

Went to buying, one of a time, they were better but all pcs don't have the same texture or taste.

Please tell me about onions.
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master
    When I buy onions the first thing I do is press my thumb next to the stem, they should be as firm there as on the side of the onion.
    I usually dont buy sweet onions, the white and the red onions are my favorites.

I buy the cheap yellow onions. We generally use them in cooking. When they are fresh they are better, but they work fine for cooking even when they are starting to get mushy. Just cut the green / brown piece out. You can take the outside layers off and eat them and still plant center if they are sprouted.

I like bout any kind of onion though and occasionally will get other varieties.

Grow your own. Their easy even in a 5gal bucket. Like everything homegrown, the flavor is so much better then store bought.
    I just sorted ours yesterday for the first time this winter. I threw out 3 small ones and we still have a BIG box full of small to softball size of reds and whites.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

School me about onions

Cut off the roots with a sliver of white above it. Stick it in a little water. It starts growing. Once it has some decent roots, add to dirt. Same with cabbage. Haven’t tried it with green onions yet. They keep best in a glass of water on the counter; changing water daily. Don’t store onions with potatoes, they don’t mix well. Taters with apples. Last longer.
    Cheap yellow onions looking ragged? Dice up a bunch, add a handful of garlic, 2 beef bullion cubes and water.... french onion soup! Swiss on top. Eat with sourdough bread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Celery will do it also, cut the bottom off, plant it in the garden, the new stems start to grow,,
    the issue with onions, potatoes, etc,, is that they are WAY too cheap to buy.

A bulb of garlic split into pieces,, will grow that many bulbs.

I garden for fun, and to show the grandchildren,, that is truly it,,

Moderator Emeritus

They give me massive migraines even when cooked in sauces and such. Girlfriend brought home meatballs in sauce from work. Yup she didn't know until I had taken a few bites then felt it right above my right eye. Oh, you guys meant for cooking

Boolit Master

Onions are like bacon, money, fun, etc. More is better. I like the sweet onions in salad. We use the 3# bags of cooking onions for omelets, casseroles, roasts and such.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Grand Master

If you see a bag labeled " Vidalia " onions buy them ... sweet great taste .
    Don't buy any soft onion . I think Vidalia are best followed by Texas Sweet 1015 and then Texas Super Sweet 1015-Y . I will admit the sugars in these varieties may give them a shorter shelf life but storing them in the refrigerator will extend their usefulness .

Green onions are fairly easy to grow in a small space and have good taste .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

I have driven by fields of Vidalia onions, in Vidalia GA. For some reason I always get hungry when I do that! Never had time to stop and buy fresh! Still a dang good onion, you could almost eat it like an apple, just don't get to close to the wife afterwards

Boolit Master

I agree, Texas 10-15 are really good, IMHO. Developed at Texas A&M, planted on October 15th, IIRC. You can eat them like an apple. I question whether the Vidalia we get around here are truly Vidalia. Some I've gotten around here weren't that sweet. Not sure why, maybe harvesting early before sugars could really form or what.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

I grow onions every year.
    I try to pick varieties that store well.
    After I harvest mine I sort them.
    The small and ones with bad spots are cleaned, the bad spots removed and diced.
    The diced onions are scattered on a wax paper covered cookie sheets and frozen.
    When frozen they are placed in ziplock bags.
    This way you can get whatever amount from the bag and they will not be frozen in a clump.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    I grow onions every year.
    I try to pick varieties that store well.
    After I harvest mine I sort them.
    The small and ones with bad spots are cleaned, the bad spots removed and diced.
    The diced onions are scattered on a wax paper covered cookie sheets and frozen.
    When frozen they are placed in ziplock bags.
    This way you can get whatever amount from the bag and they will not be frozen in a clump.
    LIKE !
    Cooking with frozen onions is almost like using fresh , they aren't quite as crisp when thawed but for most cooking that's no problem and having them already chopped is a big help .
    Anytime you have a bag of onions going South ... just chop and freeze them !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

Sweet onions are best for onion rings! Or onion nuggets(cut squares of onion (3/4 inch on a side or so and batter and fry. Easier to eat but caution, that onion cup can hold burning hot oil!)

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 45workhorse View Post
    I have driven by fields of Vidalia onions, in Vidalia GA. For some reason I always get hungry when I do that! Never had time to stop and buy fresh! Still a dang good onion, you could almost eat it like an apple, just don't get to close to the wife afterwards
    You will want to pay particular attention to those fields and roadside produce stands about Valentine's Day and shortly afterwards.. They sell "Vidalia Green Onions" also known as "Salad Onions" in and around the parts that grow Vidalias. These are AWESOME to cook with! They have a very unique flavor profile that when mixed with garlic and used in beans, peas, soups, they cancel each other out and you get this certain sweetness that no other onion can produce, and it only happens when you use both these vidalia green onions and garlic in a dish.

They freeze very well, starting in February the bulbs are about the size of a golf ball and as the weeks lead into springtime, they get the size of a tennis ball and the season is done with.

Thumbcocker sent me a box a few years ago, and I froze them and still using them now. Gonna need some more this year they are getting pretty freezer burned by now. ONLY place in the US that you can get these, is the Vidalia growing areas of GA.

If you are lucky, your local grocery store will carry them for only a short time in February... Whole Foods usuallly carries them, some of the other high end chains may carry them.

I would love to split a box with someone..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.