RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Rusty Lee Pot

Boolit Grand Master

Rusty Lee Pot

I have 2 Lee melters, a bottom pour and a small pot. I leave them in the garage where I cast and yesterday I noticed the screws were rusty so pulled them out to throw in the tumbler and clean up and thats when I noticed the pots. Both were rusty on the outside. Should I clean and paint them or something or just leave them be.

What is everyone doing about this? Maybe I'm being OCD as they both work just fine.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    I found mine were also as you say. I removed pot and gave it a good clean on the bench grinder wire wheel and replaced it. I gave the inside a good wire brush as well with a drill mounted wire wheel, I do give the inside of pot a spray of lanoline when I store pot for extended time. I thought of applying a heat resistant paint but I did not want to cause problems with heat being conducted to pot. Regards Stephen

Boolit Buddy

Lee;s very good about repair or replacing product. Many times at no charge. I would call Lee & ask them,
    SEMPER FI remember you only have the "RIGHTS" you are willing to fight for & except for ending slavery, fascism, nazism, and communism, WAR has never solved anything!

Vegas Vince / NRA Benefactor / USMC

Go to https://leeprecision.com/. Follow the left column down to parts then bullet casting then Electric melters or furnaces then locate your model. Lee will send the first part free. You pay shipping. This includes coils, pots,thermostats and all other parts. I regularly get replacement spare parts for my Lee equipment.
    "Adults are the children and the children are the adults" Jules my wife.

All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. — Daniel Boone

Democracy is defended in 3 stages: Ballot Box, Jury Box, Cartridge Box. — Ambrose Bierce

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie. — Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Black Rifles Matter

NRA Life Member, SAF Member, GOA Member, TFA Member

Boolit Grand Master

Alwys put a stop to rust ... it will eat up the metal .
    Consider Rust a metal cancer ... put an end to it whenever you can .
    You need to find the source of the moisture or bring the pots inside . Rust is not your friend !
    I live in Louisiana we get more rain , heat and humidity than you can shake a stick at ,
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

You may have a humidity problem going on that will let rust get ahold of other things too.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Phosphoric acid! Get it at Lowe's or Home Depot; it's called 'concrete and metal prep'. Eats rust, and leaves metal clean, while leaving a rust-inhibiting chemical layer. When you use the pot again, stay out of the area until the fumes dissipate.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Buddy
    Will only help with exposed surfaces, but when I lived in Texas, I sprayed the inside of my Lee pots with Pam cooking oil spray after they cooled down. Stopped rust but the smell when I used them next made me hungry for french fries.

Now live in such a dry area that rust is almost unknown.

Boolit Mold
    I use a dehumidifier in my garage, really helps!

Lee is very generous with replacement parts. With most parts, you can order one of EACH item and only pay shipping. I rebuilt my production pot for not much money.

Sam Sackett