RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
ADvertise hereMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision

Thread: 310 tool handles - 38-357.. 357 Max?

310 tool handles - 38-357.. 357 Max?

Hey all, just as if it were meant to be I have ended up with a complete set of 310 38/357 dies and a recently re-chambered henry in 357 max.. I am a complete noob when it comes to the 310 tools, but I think I can figure out their operation just fine. That leads to my issue, does anyone here know that if due to the case length between a Mag and a Max case, (.3 or so) if that would require the use of a large handle set or a short one? in other words is there enough adjustment on the small handles to use them for the longer case. Haven't been able to find much on this specific subject/question so yes I searched, would appreciate if any of you long time 310 users might know the answer. Would need to pick up a set of handles to use, and due to their apparent scarcity and discontinued-ness, want to grab the right set the first time.

Cheers

Boolit Master
    It will probably work with the small handles, and the long handles would be surefire, if my estimations are correct. The only thing I would be concerned about is whether the 310 dies with their neck-only resizing will chamber easily in a Henry lever action repeater... or is it the single shot? Anyway, it sounds like it would be worth a try, and since the cases are going back in the same chamber, it will probably work. Keep us informed.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    It will probably work with the small handles, and the long handles would be surefire, if my estimations are correct. The only thing I would be concerned about is whether the 310 dies with their neck-only resizing will chamber easily in a Henry lever action repeater... or is it the single shot? Anyway, it sounds like it would be worth a try, and since the cases are going back in the same chamber, it will probably work. Keep us informed.

Froggie
    It's the single shot! Thanks for your reply. I wish there was a way to retrofit existing 357 levers to maxi.. havent seen one yet, maybe it exists somewhere out there. No worries about the neck sizing I think it should be fine, in fact i'd almost prefer it for this application.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenpot View Post
    It's the single shot! Thanks for your reply. I wish there was a way to retrofit existing 357 levers to maxi.. havent seen one yet, maybe it exists somewhere out there. No worries about the neck sizing I think it should be fine, in fact i'd almost prefer it for this application.
    Sounds like you have already thought it through and come to the same conclusions I would have! I've been trying to remember whether my 32-20 steel 310 tong tool is large or small, but I'm thinking small, and that you will be good to go.

As for making a 357 Mag lever action repeater into a 357 Max, it's a matter of geometry. If the length of the action permits it, the cartridge lifter and perhaps the ejector would need to be reworked and of course the chamber deepened. If you start with an action designed for rifle length cartridges, there will be more than enough room... but a pistol caliber action may just be too short. I do know that Henry is making a 327 Fed Mag repeater, but I can't remember how much difference there is in the COAL of 327 Max and 327 Fed Mag.

You've got my curiosity up, though. Please keep us abreast of your project.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"