Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: 310 tool handles - 38-357.. 357 Max?

Boolit Bub

310 tool handles - 38-357.. 357 Max?

Hey all, just as if it were meant to be I have ended up with a complete set of 310 38/357 dies and a recently re-chambered henry in 357 max.. I am a complete noob when it comes to the 310 tools, but I think I can figure out their operation just fine. That leads to my issue, does anyone here know that if due to the case length between a Mag and a Max case, (.3 or so) if that would require the use of a large handle set or a short one? in other words is there enough adjustment on the small handles to use them for the longer case. Haven't been able to find much on this specific subject/question so yes I searched, would appreciate if any of you long time 310 users might know the answer. Would need to pick up a set of handles to use, and due to their apparent scarcity and discontinued-ness, want to grab the right set the first time.

Cheers

Boolit Grand Master
    It will probably work with the small handles, and the long handles would be surefire, if my estimations are correct. The only thing I would be concerned about is whether the 310 dies with their neck-only resizing will chamber easily in a Henry lever action repeater... or is it the single shot? Anyway, it sounds like it would be worth a try, and since the cases are going back in the same chamber, it will probably work. Keep us informed.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    It will probably work with the small handles, and the long handles would be surefire, if my estimations are correct. The only thing I would be concerned about is whether the 310 dies with their neck-only resizing will chamber easily in a Henry lever action repeater... or is it the single shot? Anyway, it sounds like it would be worth a try, and since the cases are going back in the same chamber, it will probably work. Keep us informed.

Froggie
    It's the single shot! Thanks for your reply. I wish there was a way to retrofit existing 357 levers to maxi.. havent seen one yet, maybe it exists somewhere out there. No worries about the neck sizing I think it should be fine, in fact i'd almost prefer it for this application.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenpot View Post
    It's the single shot! Thanks for your reply. I wish there was a way to retrofit existing 357 levers to maxi.. havent seen one yet, maybe it exists somewhere out there. No worries about the neck sizing I think it should be fine, in fact i'd almost prefer it for this application.
    Sounds like you have already thought it through and come to the same conclusions I would have! I've been trying to remember whether my 32-20 steel 310 tong tool is large or small, but I'm thinking small, and that you will be good to go.

As for making a 357 Mag lever action repeater into a 357 Max, it's a matter of geometry. If the length of the action permits it, the cartridge lifter and perhaps the ejector would need to be reworked and of course the chamber deepened. If you start with an action designed for rifle length cartridges, there will be more than enough room... but a pistol caliber action may just be too short. I do know that Henry is making a 327 Fed Mag repeater, but I can't remember how much difference there is in the COAL of 327 Max and 327 Fed Mag.

You've got my curiosity up, though. Please keep us abreast of your project.

Froggie

Boolit Bub
    So a quick update, I had a friend get a 310 set for 357 with the small handles, and everything worked fine except the seater/crimper die was backed way out in order to work correctly with the lee 200gr .35 RF that I use for the maximum. So I think I will grab a set of large handles if I can find them, but small handles should work fine. we'll see what we can come up with in the ebay abyss or maybe on SS forum.

I don't load the max but I do load 223 cartyridges with a 222 310 set up. I found that when the dies are out far enough to work, not much of the die is in the short handles that came with the set. I use a long set of handles for it.
    I doubt the dies or the handles will strip out but I feel safer using the longer handles.
    On a 357 max lever gun, wouldn't that be a 35 Remington?
    Leo

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44magLeo View Post
    I don't load the max but I do load 223 cartyridges with a 222 310 set up. I found that when the dies are out far enough to work, not much of the die is in the short handles that came with the set. I use a long set of handles for it.
    I doubt the dies or the handles will strip out but I feel safer using the longer handles.
    On a 357 max lever gun, wouldn't that be a 35 Remington?
    Leo
    Both good points, Brother Leo. As a longtime 310 user, I take it as a given that I should have at least one each of the large and small (or long and short) handle sets so I just reach for whichever I need. This may be a luxury for some, but I simply consider it a necessity if I plan to reload with 310 tools.
    As for the 357 Max vs 35 Remington question; isn't the latter more of a rimless 30-30 class case with more powder capacity than the 357 Max? I have to confess a lack of experience with either one, but on paper, I'm thinking the former is a very powerful pistol cartridge while the latter is a medium power rifle cartridge, but still more powerful than anything designed for a handgun. Am I under a false impression?

Froggie

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Both good points, Brother Leo. As a longtime 310 user, I take it as a given that I should have at least one each of the large and small (or long and short) handle sets so I just reach for whichever I need. This may be a luxury for some, but I simply consider it a necessity if I plan to reload with 310 tools.
    As for the 357 Max vs 35 Remington question; isn't the latter more of a rimless 30-30 class case with more powder capacity than the 357 Max? I have to confess a lack of experience with either one, but on paper, I'm thinking the former is a very powerful pistol cartridge while the latter is a medium power rifle cartridge, but still more powerful than anything designed for a handgun. Am I under a false impression?

Froggie
    Yes and no. The 357 Max was originally developed for revolvers, but the widespread practice of loading it with lightweight bullets caused a serious problem with flame cutting on the top strap. It was subsequently dropped from production.

It really only survives as a single shot cartridge now, although I would love to see a Ruger 77/357max rifle made. I get the impression that folks still shoot it in T/C pistols and rifles but I am concerned that the 350 Legend is going to decrease the likelihood of wider adoption moving forward.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Grand Master
    That’s reminiscent of a cartridge that was a popular chambering with some Ballards... the “38 Extra Long” cartridge. Of course it was a BP cartridge, so putting a modern, fire breathing 357 Max cartridge in one of those old cast Ballard actions might prove “interesting” to say the least.

Froggie

The 30 Remington is a rimless versions of the 30-30 case. The 25 Rem Is a necked down 30 Rem.
    The 35 remington is on it own cases size. .460 rim, .457 ahead of extractor groove, tapers to .426 at shoulder 1.539 from head. Case length of 1.920.
    Pushes a 200 gr jacketed to about 2100fps in a 20" rifle.
    In the same class as the 30-30.
    A lot of people think it's better than the 30-30 with the fatter heavier bullets.
    Leo

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daekar View Post
    Yes and no. The 357 Max was originally developed for revolvers, but the widespread practice of loading it with lightweight bullets caused a serious problem with flame cutting on the top strap. It was subsequently dropped from production.

It really only survives as a single shot cartridge now, although I would love to see a Ruger 77/357max rifle made. I get the impression that folks still shoot it in T/C pistols and rifles but I am concerned that the 350 Legend is going to decrease the likelihood of wider adoption moving forward.
    The top strap cutting was way over blown.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides