Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Miroku Winchester 1892 safety removal

Boolit Buddy

Miroku Winchester 1892 safety removal

Hello the Fire,

I have a Miroku made 1892 with tang safety which I want to remove to install a different tang sight, with a longer base. The sight mechanism is held in place by a screw or stud with a square head. If this is removed, the "bar" could then be rotated so slot aligns with another another pin with angled head and lifted off.

I am not sure if the square head screw/pin is threaded or pressed in. I have tried to unscrew it with as much force as I thought I dared, with no joy, and without knowing what the configeration is, do not want to strip it. I have a Japanese built 1886 that I removed the safety from years ago for same purpose and don't recall having any difficulty, but am a snowbird and the removed safety is back home, so can't look at it to see if the same mechanism.

Anyone out there with experience or knowledge of this?

Thanks,

Jackpine

Not too difficult, I think, to remove the butt stock bolt, pull the butt stock off, and take a look from underneath.

DG

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Not too difficult, I think, to remove the butt stock bolt, pull the butt stock off, and take a look from underneath.

DG
    Sorry DG, but that gives me no help. I need to know from someone what has done this if the square headed pin/screw is meant to be removable and replaceable or if it is meant to be permanent.

The fact that it has a square head, not a screw head or hex head and that a reasonable amount of torque does not turn it causes me to not apply any more force until I have some experienced advice. I want to be able to replace the safety at some future time.

Thanks,

Jackpine