Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Percussion caps

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caswell Ranch View Post
    When all the caps are gone, rock lock is it.
    I have caps for wheel guns but all rifles I have now are rock lock.
    But what if Bidet outlaws rocks???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaMonkey View Post
    I've used the #11 Percussion Cap Maker for my 1858 Cap and Ball. They work quite well. You have to make your own primer, but they sell an easy kit for that too. The primer and caps are a bit more messy than what you buy in the stores, but nothing that is hard to clean up. It is a corrosive primer, so you can't just leave your guns uncleaned, but it only takes some hot water and a brush to get rid of the corrosive salts.

The nice thing is that you know you can always make more so you don't have to worry about running out. You shoot as much as you want.

The worst thing about it is the tools to put on caps don't work for these types. Thus, you have to fumble them with your fingers and hope you don't drop them

Boolit Buddy
    The primer is the old H48 priming mix. I was able to buy enough of the chemicals to make a lifetime of primers or caps, as well as mess with my 22 reloading endeavor. The priming kit they sell does work good, though. The percussion cap maker has a video about it in use, and is sure does look like a tap o cap.

We've been through these dry spells before, and self sufficiency is king.

Boolit Master

May have been the point to list in stock , but this is good to have access to as stock is very limited and prices and shipping are high .

Boolit Buddy
    No offense, but if I knew where good numbers of caps were, I would not post it on here. I saw this very thing happen wit 22 LR ad it turns into a feeding frenzy with the same guys sucking them up as soon as they hit the shelves. If guys are having issues finding them, making their own is a very viable option. I see there is a thread going on it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by idahoron View Post
    Has anyone used a vacuum sealer to preserve a large number of caps?
    I have. I sealed a few thousand maybe ten years ago. Haven’t dipped into them, they are for a rainy day.

Boolit Master
    Well, I just picked up a few tins of #11 Remingtons today at LGS.
    they have #11 Remingtons, #11 CCI and #11 CCI Mags.
    They are out of #10
    Failure is not an Option

Boolit Bub
    Does anyone know how to make #10 caps?

Has anyone looked at making dies to take brass/coper to draw it to make #10 caps (rather than just folding the corners)?

I'm glad I stocked up 2 years ago before all this craziness. People are getting desperate.
    wear your scars with pride, a scarless man hasn't felt the hardship of life......

Boolit Buddy
    I am sitting good too. There are still a few percussion caps to be had, but not many. I do enjoy making them, though. It's easy and just adds something for me. I think that it would be easy to make a die for this, but the tap o cap type of maker just works to darn good.

It was a cold windy day yesterday, so part of my indoor activities was turning a pile of Bud Light cans into caps. Now they can be loaded whenever I need some. I guess that has become part of the hobby, along with casting bullets and making paper cartridges for the muskets and Sharps rifle.

To conserve on caps, I'm getting a couple of flintlocks. Something I wanted to try for a while, now there's a good excuse.
    wear your scars with pride, a scarless man hasn't felt the hardship of life......

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

Percussion caps

So what does everyone use for compound? I tried the paper caps, but they wouldn’t even light off BP, let alone the substitutes. I have been adding an empty primers worth of 3F under one, but haven’t tried it out yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I use the 22 reloader Prime All. It's the H48 or H42 corrosive mix. I also bought enough chemicals to make a lifetime of caps, primers, and 22 LR reloads. The Prime All kit is like $20 and loads approx 2000 primers or caps. The chemicals to make the same mix are cheaper, and make a heck of a lot more.

The individual chemicals are Potassium Chlorate, Antinomy Sulfide, and Sulphur. H48 uses ground glass and H42 does not. Visit Aardvark Reloading to get a very good idea of what everyone is mixing up. Lots of videos out there, as well.

Banned
    If one must acquire caps. Then you can make your own. Just do some web surfing or ask someone that knows. It is inherently dangerous.(like reloading, driving etc...)

Boolit Buddy
    I just ordered a #11 Percussion Cap Maker...I can't find the thread on here but after you mix up the priming compound and fill the cap you add a drop of acetone...after you let that dry some folks commented that they added a drop of something to keep the priming compound from falling out. Does anyone know what you use for that?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Lots of possible binders, not sure what people use; Past binders for primers have included dextrin, lacquer, Duco Cement, gum arabic, gum tragacanth, glue, sodium alginate, rubber cement, and karaya gum. Among others.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BPSharps View Post
    I just ordered a #11 Percussion Cap Maker...I can't find the thread on here but after you mix up the priming compound and fill the cap you add a drop of acetone...after you let that dry some folks commented that they added a drop of something to keep the priming compound from falling out. Does anyone know what you use for that?
    Try adding nail polish to the mix. The priming compound seems it doesn’t have a “binding” agent or if there is it’s rather “weak.” Try adding some nail polish into the acetone mix it well and try to see if that helps.

Boolit Buddy
    PayPal was not accepting payments to them a few days ago, I requested info on order ship times and have had no reply. This is Sharpshooter 22LR Reloader I was trying to contact. Last updates on FB are from 2018 and most are complaints about orders taking 7 months. Anyone ordered from them in the last few weeks ?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast