MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: 445 Super Mag Bolt Action Rifle Project

Boolit Buddy

445 Super Mag Bolt Action Rifle Project

I have come to really appreciate and enjoy the 445 Super Mag. I currently have 2. . .Dan Wesson revolver and T/C Encore scoped pistol and find the two to be awesome hunting rigs. I now would like to build a 445SM rifle, preferably a bolt action or a Ruger #3, and possibly a Ruger #1. . .but leaning hard to the bolt action. I do not wish to build on the Encore or any other type of break action platform nor a lever action. I have been looking hard at the Remington 788 in the 30/30 Win, 22/250 REM or 222 REM as a donor platform. I also looked at the Savage 340 and Stevens 325 but just do not like the scope mount required for them. What are the possibilities of making a Remington Model 7 or 700 short action or a Ruger M77 short action work with the magazine/hinged floorplate for the shells? Any gunsmiths or fellow shooters out there who have performed such a project, please let me know what you used to make a rimed straight-walled cartridge bolt action rifle. Thank you.

Boolit Buddy
    Going down this same path , look at the 44 x 1.6 cartridge made from 30-06 brass, it’s a rimless 445 super mag that fits a 308 bolt face .... regards

Cool! So the only change to the reloading setup would be to swap the shell holder. That would be the cat's meow.

Would the difference in base diameters present a any problems? The 44 Rem Mag is 0.457" and 0.471" is the 30-06 diameter. That's a 0.014" difference.

You use a 444 Marlin die that's been trimmed until it leaves the cases with good neck tension or a standard 444 die and then run the top 1/2"-3/4" into a 44 mag die. I've used both methods and they both work. Die in the pic is a trimmed herters 444 marlin that I had to make a decapping stem for, also have a trimmed Lee 444 and untrimmed Lee and Hornady 444 die sets. The case capacity ends up the same as a 445SM but the OD is thicker.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 44x1.6stem&brass.JPG   44BGML-loaded.JPG   44x1.6Snow.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    Moleman - what are you using for a reamer? I just trimed down a '06 case and ran it in to a 445 SM die. . .no bueno. I see now your post of using 444 Marlin dies. I really like this idea of using a rifle with this bolt face. . .I just need to know everything I'm getting into to see if is worth while for me. Please tell me more on how you form your brass and if you have a custom reamer. Thank you.

Made the reamer, mostly use 762x51 cases cut off at the shoulder, annealed, expanded, sized then reamed with a .427" reamer pilot on a forster case trimmer when trimming to length. I started out using a 44AMP case forming die set and the cut/anneal/expand/size/trim-ream method is by far the fastest. The cases seem to last much longer than my 450BM cases and I'm still using the first couple batches I made from 4 to5 years ago.

Boolit Buddy
    Evening Moleman, he’s the gent that I got this cartridge idea from , still trying to figure out neck tension in relation to inside neck teaming to outside diameter of boolit and how much the collet crimping die will swage down a lead cast boolit , maybe I’m overthinking all of it , and still haven’t ordered a reamer ..... projects

What would be neat is if 240 weatherby brass was cheap and plentiful. Body dia is close enough to use a 44Mag/445SM die and headspace off of the belt and roll crimp to your hearts delight while still using a standard .473" bolt face.