Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Question: Lead Management

Boolit Bub

Stupid Question: Lead Management

Good afternoon Gents.

I am new to casting and in the past, all my lead has come to me in small, bite sized ingots that go right into my lead pot as slick as can be. Unfortunately my supplies ran out and I am seeing a lot of great reasonably priced lead around but in very odd shapes. A year or two I tried to cut soft lead on the drop saw but it bunged up the teeth on the saw. How do you guys cut up big chunks into smaller ones?

Sorry if this is a dumb question...

Stupid Question: Lead Management

Sawzall or recip saw, remelt in a bigger pot and repour into small ingots (see Redneck molds on this forum) or if they’ll partially fit, hold one end in the pot with pliers till portion you need melts off. Easy to weigh a bar and mark off rough lbs, partial or such with a marker (like divide a 2lb ingot into 1/2 lb increments by marking it into 4 equal sections)

If they fit, here is how to quickly partition them equally if they are somewhat uniform in cross-section:

-draw line off end
    -pivot ruler so ‘10’ or other friendly division hits the end line
    -transfer divisions to paper (use a straight edge if desired)
    -mark on ingot

Last edited by Stewbaby; 01-11-2021 at 04:12 PM.

^^ this^^

You can also use a wood/brush cutting blade in a 'sawz-all' type reciprocating saw.
    Just don't go so hard & fast the blade heats up and melts the Lead or it will clog too.

I've done that, and sometimes I have carved off chunks that would fit in the old Pro-Melt with a torch.
    A hardware store propane torch will work, but a Plumber's 'B' tank & turbo torch is better.

Depending on what size the block is, some guys have had good luck using an ax or hatchet.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I have never tried it , but would an air chisel work at a speed that was reasonable ?

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    I have never tried it , but would an air chisel work at a speed that was reasonable ?
    It sure does.
    But its more labor intensive and isn't as fast as a sawz-all,,,,
    or as much fun as using a torch- which also leaves one hand free for the occasional sip of beer..
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    It sure does.
    But its more labor intensive and isn't as fast as a sawz-all,,,,
    or as much fun as using a torch- which also leaves one hand free for the occasional sip of beer..
    Sounds like you have a proper handle on the process

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve heard of people cutting up sailboat keels with chainsaws. Maybe it could work on smaller stuff too.

Boolit Grand Master

Don't try and cut lead up if you can . Get a gas jet burner (the kind used for boiling big pots of crawfish or for deep frying turkeys) and get a large cast iron or steel pot . One can be made from half a propane tank .
    Put the big pot on the burner and stand the lead up in the big pot ... hold the lead up and down , with gloves as it melts . A very large piece of lead can be melted this way ... cast into small manageable ingots .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Dad had a pure lead foundry pig given to him by a commercial plumber. Deciding he was no longer going to cast (brother and I did all his casting) he gave all of his stash to us. I needed some pure for RB and Conicals for a few friends and myself for our percussion revolvers.

90 pounds was a bit much for be to handle without taking one of my Dutch ovens out of food service. I should have looked for one at a yard sale but decided to use a tin coffee can. I also had a sheet metal 'cone' that was almost can diameter at the smaller end, 2" wider on the other. That really focused the heat on the bottom and sides of the can.

I cut one third off of the pig with a hack saw (pruning saw would have been better) and put it in the can on an outdoor stove. I watched it as it approached melting with large pair of channel lock pliers, safety glasses, and welders gloves. One third did not fill the can.

I ladled out the can into ingot molds until the can was half full. Placing the 2/3rds sized piece, I sat by and waited until the melt came up to the rim and pulled the unmelted piece. This did not take long. Ladled out as before, repeat.

I have since scored a plumber's pot filled with boolit alloy, stove, propane tank, and some large cannon ball boat anchors. All of this was Dad's leftover stash he didn't give me with the pure lead pig. I haven't had to get into that stash yet. Point is, I made due with what I had, now I don't have to make due.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Banned
    Try turning the saw blade around, hammer and chisel.

I would use a splitting wedge and a sledge. Should be neat and tidy.

If the pieces of lead are just a bit to big for my casting pot I toss them into my big pot. Made from a propane tank and set on my turkey fryer. Then ladle it into the 2.5 lb. or 1 lb. ingot molds I have.
    For large chunks I set up my saw horses and a piece of 3/4 plywood high enough so I can put my big pot under one end of the chunk. I use my weed burner to melt the chunk into the pot. When the pot gets full or the chunk gets small enough to fit the pot I then ladle it into the ingot molds.
    If the chunks are to big for me lift on the saw horses by myself, I use hoist to lift and hold it over the pot.
    Doing it this way may be a bit slower than a chain saw but I don't have to clean up lead shavings.
    Leo
    Last edited by 44magLeo; 01-11-2021 at 06:43 PM.

I used my cutting torch the other day to turn a frying pan sized chunk into poached egg size ingots. Just the oxy/acetylene flame, thumb away from the fun button. It went quickly.

Cheapest, axe & sledge. Most big stuff I melt into ingots outside in wood fire. A cut off propane tank for pot.

Boolit Master
    I've used an axe too. Can be a bit tedious with larger stuff, like a 4'x4'x1" sheet I had one time

Boolit Master
    Find an old rusty cross cut saw for cutting green trees.
    May have to clamp down pieces of lead to hold it still.
    Use light pressure
    Let weight of saw drag thru the cut
    kerosene can help for lube.

Banned

Big camp fire, thrift store pot and muffin pan. Beer of choice while you wait. problem solved.

Boolit Master

When we machined lead we used kerosene as a lubricant.

Boolit Master
    Pure lead a hatchet and hammer or hydraulic wood splitter.

Hardball, #2 or harder can be scored and broken. Superhard alloy just put the ingot ends on a couple wood blocks and hit with a hammer in the middle.

I have used saws but there are the chips to contain.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

Amen on the wood splitter. Had some 2" stuff and the splitter chopped it into manageable chunks after about 15 minutes work for an 18" square chunk./beagle

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    Pure lead a hatchet and hammer or hydraulic wood splitter.

Hardball, #2 or harder can be scored and broken. Superhard alloy just put the ingot ends on a couple wood blocks and hit with a hammer in the middle.

I have used saws but there are the chips to contain.
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast