Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2RepackboxADvertise here

Thread: Selling scrap lead

Boolit Mold

Selling scrap lead

I am not sure if this is the proper place to post this question or not so forgive me if I am in error.
    I am interested in selling my scrap lead and I don't think the scrap yard is the best use of this resource.
    Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Boolit Master

Depends....

You can post a want to sell in the classified section. Indicate if its raw or processed into ingots. Indicate the scrap source. Use flat rate shipping in of those "if it fits, it ships boxes". They have a weight limit so check the limits. If I am not mistaken the large box maxes out at 60lbs.

Its easier to sell the scraps in their raw form. Ie range scraps, I want the spent bullets. But that's my personal preference. Alot will also buy the ingots. Prices very. But most sell ingots for a buck a pound.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

Where are you located? A face to face sale is probably the easiest way to sell it. Let us know what type of scrap it is and we can give you going prices.

Boolit Master
    OP needs 30 posts to use the S&S.

Boolit Master

I have bought most of my lead off Craigslist

"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Put your location up, I am sure someone will help you out. I have been known to travel
    I would rather fish. Can you shoot fish ?
    ><((((>`..`...><((((>` ..[_____]

Boolit Master

As stated the OP needs 30 posts before offering items up for sale. Going behind the rules will probably result in a Mod interaction. OP just join conversations and offer up ideas, procedures, etc. From the post, it appears the only reason being here is to sell. I hope I am wrong. Welcome to the forum. There is a tremendous amount of knowledge here.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks all for the replies and help. I am no longer able to do this where I am and personal health changes. Most of my lead is wheel weights and some pipe, solder ingots of who knows what. I know I can sell off my molds on ebay but wasnt sure about all the lead.

Boolit Master

If it was known where you are, somebody might come over to buy it.
    Political Correctness and the cancel culture is only allowed to exist because of the coward culture.

Old age, and treachery will always over come youth, and skill.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks all for the replies and help. I am no longer able to do this where I am and personal health changes. Most of my lead is wheel weights and some pipe, solder ingots of who knows what. I know I can sell off my molds on ebay but wasnt sure about all the lead.

Boolit Mold
    I'm In New Jersey

IF you're going to offer to buy or sell Please us PM's don't want to see you or the new guy get in trouble

Boolit Master

Any idea on how many total pounds of lead?
    Mostly wheel weights is great !
    Any large shapes or odd stuff like a sailboat keel?
    Thank you
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    I know from personal experience that packing lead and lugging it to the shipping office is literally a pain. Sometimes advertising locally can get you a buyer who will come to you, and may be willing to take the lead unpacked, doing all the heavy lifting to boot. This can make it fast and easy to reduce a large stock of lead. A local commercial casting operation might be willing to take everything off your hands if the price is right.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you all for your help. I found a local shooter who is going to check with his club for folks who would be interested. Thanks again.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    Depends....

You can post a want to sell in the classified section. Indicate if its raw or processed into ingots. Indicate the scrap source. Use flat rate shipping in of those "if it fits, it ships boxes". They have a weight limit so check the limits. If I am not mistaken the large box maxes out at 60lbs.

Its easier to sell the scraps in their raw form. Ie range scraps, I want the spent bullets. But that's my personal preference. Alot will also buy the ingots. Prices very. But most sell ingots for a buck a pound.

Small flat rate is (70 LBS)

Boolit Bub
    I check Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist from time to time to see what pops up. Usually, I see lead crystal glassware (which never melts down for me) and someone wanting to ship ingots from across the country. Occasionally I get lucky and find someone local with cheap lead.

Boolit Master

Nick no idea where in NJ you are but GET OUT NOW. Sorry, lived there for 56 years and finally got out four years ago. My son and my side if family still live there but Get Out and live somewhere a whole lot more free and cheaper. I have 81 acres with house, pole barn, etc and property taxes are less than $1,100 a year. Lot less than the .4 acre paying $12,000 a year there. Good luck.

Raw form such as wheel weights or pipe or printing letters allows the buyer to know exactly what sort of lead they are buying. My homemade ingot could be darn near anything. Raw form is best.

US Post Office will provide free flat rate shipping boxes. It is a lot of work. Takes a fair amount of effort and tape to insure 65 lbs of lead doesn't bust out of the box in transit. Then too there is moving the 65 pounds to the post office counter for shipping.

Local is best if you can find some buyers. Local gun clubs are a good choice. Prices are really variable depending on what type of lead it is. Printers lead or solder has a higher price than soft lead plumbing pipe. A little browsing in swapping and selling and search that forum option will provide you with an idea of market prices.

A site sponsor Rotometals sells lead, solder, pewter for casting, one can roughly get 2/3 to 1/2 the commercial price. However here it is a volatile market. If someone posts selling a chunk of a good score at a lower price to move it then no one will buy the stuff that is more expensive. Bargain hunters will sit and wait for some more at that "good" price to come along.

Soft lead is generally about $1 a pound plus shipping. WW's in the same ball park. Lino or foundry type can get up around $2 +/- And pewter has been in the $6 range on up to over $9 a pound. One guy scored a pallet size box (or two) of pewter ice buckets as scrap. He was making good money at a pretty low selling price. Sweet deal for all concerned, unless you wanted to sell pewter into that market. Then you were hosed.
    Je suis Charlie
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this way of getting casting material somehow.
    Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat I do trade a bit from time to time.