Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Money Orders

Money Orders

I’ve been noticing more and more folks over in S&S wanting “USPS Money Order” only for payment. Now, I can understand wanting to stay away from PayPal, but I’m wondering why a USPS MO only. Personally, it’s a GIGANTIC hassle to go to the PO for a money order. I can go to any number of grocery or convenience stores and get a Western Union MO. I did some internet reading and was unable to find a satisfactory answer to the difference between a USPS MO and a Western Union MO.

This isn’t a “I’m just complaining” post, but rather a post out of curiosity. Can folks chime in on why they prefer a USPSMO as the only form of payment? I’m really curious!

-Charlie
    I serve Jesus exclusively...do you?

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70

I finally obtained a feedback post!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...80#post4182480

Boolit Grand Master

Well you have to go to the post office to send it, so where is the hassle? Or is there a way to send a money order I haven't thought of?

Boolit Master
    I like them because when I have a package ready to ship with the USPS FRB I can cash the MO and ship the package at the same time. Then I just go home and PM the tracking number and projected delivery date. No extra trips, or driving around to the bank to deposit the MO. Done deal, no bank charges if there is a problem with any of the other types of money orders. Folks I know, that is a different situation. I suppose some folks say "pay pal only". Some say to the original 48 states only. With the USPS MO the only waiting is for the PO to get the mail to me, and the box to you.

Boolit Grand Master

The thing with money orders, is they are not even a check. They are only as valuable as the place that prints them. I wouldn't put a lot of faith in joe's gas's money order. When they go missing, and if you use enough of them, they will go missing, you have to get that money back somehow. The USPS generally offers about the best recovery, but it is still a long drawn out wait. A bank is usually even longer of a wait. I can only imagine what hoops you would have to jump through for a gas station.

I've had two money orders lost, consecutively, at the same post office, with tracking to prove where they were. Don't waste money on tracking, it doesn't do you any good.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Well you have to go to the post office to send it, so where is the hassle? Or is there a way to send a money order I haven't thought of?
    Not quite.
    At our house in Moapa I have to go to the post office. There is no mail delivery/pickup at homes in that area. All P.O. boxes are in the Post Office.
    At our house in the Kalispell area, we have a "Mail Box" down at the main road. I can put letters and Flat Rate boxes that I have printed postage for in the house and pasted on the box; into the Mail Box and the Postperson will see the red flag up and pick these up (we bought the largest size USPS approved mail box).

Drawback at both locations is still the same - You Have to GO to the Post Office to buy the Money Order.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master

Too many fake owns out there. Even if they will cash them if they bounce later they will remove the money from your account except for the USPS.. Only place I cash USPS MO's at is the PO. If they run the number it's GTG. Plus they cannot recover funds from your account. Once they cash it it's their problem. Yes more of a hassle but it's the only truly safe method that I am aware of.

Even USPS MO's are faked. I received one for just under $800.00. The PO wouldn't take it however my bank would have taken it and I would not received notification that it was bad until after I sent the item. I notified the seller that they could request it back from the USPS IG. Last I ever heard from them.

If I don't know you can use other types of check payment but I won't send the item till it actually clears my bank.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-11-2021 at 01:38 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I used to specify a USPSMO, but now I'm also taking Zelle. Once notification is received, which is as fast as the sender arranges it, I have the funds in my account and then I ship. Faster too, for the buyer, who doesn't have to wait for snail mail to get the MO to me.

Venmo is another similar instant electronic funds transfer service by PayPal.

Boolit Master
    Kevin, sort of on topic, what fees are involved with Zelle or Pay Pal? How easy is it to access the funds after the payment has been made, as is there a mandatory balance or something like that?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    I used to specify a USPSMO, but now I'm also taking Zelle. Once notification is received, which is as fast as the sender arranges it, I have the funds in my account and then I ship. Faster too, for the buyer, who doesn't have to wait for snail mail to get the MO to me.

Venmo is another similar instant electronic funds transfer service by PayPal.
    Any idea how they handle disputes? With PayPal they will side with the buyer 99.9% of the time. With PayPal they can remove funds from your account months later.

I've been burned three times on this site for small amounts and received one fake USPS MO. I buy more than I sell and total transactions are under 25 per year. A buddy had a business that did more than that on a weekly basis. Any check he would take he would not ship that item until the check cleared the bank. He mostly did MO's cashed at the PO after he lost about 6K on a fake bank cashiers check. He cashed USPS MO at the PO almost daily. He would call the PO when he had more than a could K to cash. On day I was with him when he did a little over 14K. He said the Postmaster hated him.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-11-2021 at 01:52 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Well you have to go to the post office to send it, so where is the hassle?
    For me, I have to drive to 15 miles into town to get it, or cash one. I try not to do that any more than I have to.

I don't do much on S&S, but when I do- I've gotten MOs and waited until I was going to town anyway, sometimes over a week.
    If it's a regular guy that doesn't come here just for S&S, I just tell 'em to mail a check when they get the item, and if its what they want.
    If its someone that only posts on S&S, they don't get that deal.

The few times I've bought stuff, to avoid going to the Post Office, and since I don't do PayPal, I mail 'em a check after I ask if it's OK.
    Whatever I bought, I was never desperate for it, it was from a long time member, and didn't care if they held the check to clear or not.
    From looking at the dates of when I mailed the check, and when my purchase shipped-
    So far, nobody has.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 01-11-2021 at 01:56 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Western unions and others you have to have the location for it to be sent to for pick up I believe. USPS can be gotten or picked up at any Post office. The one I have used at times for kids and things is a pre paid credit card e-mail the info from the card and they can use it. If Im buying from an unknown place on internet I get and used a prepaid card for it.

Boolit Grand Master

Western unions and others you have to have the location for it to be sent to for pick up I believe. USPS can be gotten or picked up at any Post office. The one I have used at times for kids and things is a pre paid credit card e-mail the info from the card and they can use it. If Im buying from one of the auction sites or internet I use a pre paid card for it.

Boolit Master
    I had often wondered the same thing. Now I know.

Boolit Master
    What I don’t get is why we presume that the guy with the goods, the seller, is any more trustworthy than the buyer. Folks want me to send a USPSMO and then they want to wait to cash it and finally they’ll ship me my goods. This from a guy that joined last month and has 42 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    This from a guy that joined last month and has 42 posts.
    It's probably OK,
    I'm all about good manners, and don't consider myself as being all paranoid,
    but in your case, I'd shop from somebody else.

Call 'em like ya see 'em..........
    For example:
    I've got a check in the mail box that'll head out tomorrow to the far Western edges of Not Texas.
    It's going to a guy that's been here awhile, doesn't post much, but what he does-
    you can tell he knows exactly what he's talking about, and also sells some bulk items on S&S at fair prices.
    I figure he does too much here for me to worry about getting ripped off.

I'll see if he waits on the check to clear or not--- either way, I don't care.
    But somehow, I don't think believes I'd burn myself on here for a $250. bad check.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 01-11-2021 at 02:41 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    When I am selling I want a USPS MO because I don't have a bank account. I can cash the mo at the post office.

swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Master
    In the end it’s preference, I’ve had PP but I can’t seem to find a way to “cash out” when I need actual $$ without linking to my real bank account.

Boolit Master
    For a lot of rural people,they have a post office within a few miles, and like to use them, to keep them open. My mail ladies are great, and I'm sure they would help me in any way they could if I ever had a delivery problem.

Boolit Master

for me its a 20 minute drive to town, one way. I'm not shipping so that 40 plus minutes is a lot of wasted time. I very much appreciate the sellers that take a check.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Given a choice between having to go to the PO or passing on something. I pass every time.

If I can get it with my debit card, paypal, without having to get dressed, start a vehicle, and wait in line at the PO. I'll choose quick and easy every time.

Now the only reason I am typing this, is so those sellers who list USPO MO ONLY know that by there choice they are removing me, and many others like me from their list of potential buyers.

Does that make me lazy, yep, probably does. But Hey I'm retired, I can be lazy if I choose.
    What I'm buying does not matter, could be lead, brass, dies, or guns.

If I can stay at home and make it happen there is a good chance I'll bite.
    If I have to go out in the cold I never bite. Just an FYI
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast