Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does reloading 223 for AR15 require different primers

I just had to get a sb body die for a new ar10. Most of my brass has been through a hk91 at one point or two or three, and they would not chamber in the tight ar10. Never had a problem with 223, but a combination of the right (wrong) chambers will require it occasionally. If you have only one chamber to feed, and set up your FL die properly (or NS for that matter), there should be no need for a sb die. I did have to body die a 300 win mag but the belt makes that a slightly different situation.

I have run all sorts of primers in gas guns and never had a problem.

Boolit Grand Master

If you are pushing a top end load in either 5.56 or 7.62 then a simple change of primer can lower the average psi....but then on the other hand, it can also raise the psi.

BTW; "top end" refers to 62,000 psi for both. Top end loads listed in current manuals conform to 223 SAAMI MAP psi of 56,000 psi. Also for the NATO 7.62 the psi runs 55 - 60,000 psi. For M118SB and M118 LR it runs 62,-63,000 psi (I've measured them). Thus if you load to 223 or 7.62 NATP specs a change of primers probably won't mean much as the ARs are made for milspec psi's (or least should be).
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio686 View Post
    Is it true that sb dies are harder on brass? Just curious
    Imo no. It does take more pressure to size them and that’s why the “ internet” reloaders all post “ it’s hard in the brass. The resizing difference is only 4/10’s thickness of a sheet of paper vs the regular sizer die.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio686 View Post
    Is it true that sb dies are harder on brass? Just curious
    SB dies reduce the diameter of case at the work hardened web , they do not over work the neck/shoulder . If you need to use them for chambering purposes it is the gun that's hard on brass , generous chamber .

Banned

if your using 223 loading data from a loading manual for 556 loads theres already a safety factor built in because 556 ammo factory ammo is loaded to higher pressures then 223.

Boolit Master

Back when I was young and we were using once fired LC brass sometimes fired from machine guns for High Power, I habitually used a SB sizer before first reload in the M1/M14 style rifles , then standard dies for subsequent loads. Used the same practice with LC brass for the black rifle. Might not have done anything but made me feel better ! Do believe I'd like to have one of them X die thingies - even with a Gracey, trimming is boring.

Banned

i uses small base dies for every loading. Guess i figured 556 brass is cheap and i have 9 556 guns with various chambers from tight to loose and being able to grab ammo and knowing it will go bang over and over in any of them means more then one more firing out of my brass. What ive found through the years is most 556 brass gets tossed because of loose primer pockets way before it splits. I doubt ive see a half a dozen of the separate in my life and ive shot 100s of thousands of 556 through the years. What i also do is any new once fired i get i run through one of those lee push through carbide bulge buster 223 die. that insures the whole base is to spec because even a sm base die wont size all the way down.

Boolit Grand Master

I use the RCBS X-die for several different cartridges including 5.56/223 and 7.63/308W. With the 5.56 and 7.62 rounds loaded for my gas guns I have not trimmed a case since using the X-die. Case life is also 4 times greater.

For 5.56/223 I suggest the standard X-die unless your gas gun has a very, very tight minimal chamber. Few have such chambers unless unless custom chambered. Almost all ARs, even those with "Wilde" chambers, are to SAAMI spec with most being to milspec dimensions. A SB or "AR" die is not needed.

Almost all, if not all, reloading data in manuals issued the last 10 or so years will have the 223 Remington load data adhering to SAMMI spec (55,000 psi MAP) for the .223 cartridge. Older manuals will have data that is equitable to 5.56 NATO STANAG psi's.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy

I couldn't find a bulge buster in 223 on the Lee site but found one made by LG Outdoors. https://www.lg-outdoors.com/Product/...s/5814886?fs=1 and of course it's back ordered.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jsm180 View Post
    I couldn't find a bulge buster in 223 on the Lee site but found one made by LG Outdoors. https://www.lg-outdoors.com/Product/...s/5814886?fs=1 and of course it's back ordered.
    thats the one. I found mine on amazon. It works real good. Even carbide so no lube is needed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12