Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cleaning during hunting season

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    Just think about how many old guns are found loaded, well after the owner passed away & the family then divested themselves of it.

Your point is................?

Hello RU Shooter,

I guess that would depend, most of my hunting is/or has been on weekends.
    So if I were to take a shot on Saturday, I'd probably wait until Sunday night to fire it off again for cleaning.
    But if I were on a week long hunt, I'd probably shoot it off & clean it that night. Even though I'm shooting Triple Seven.
    Right or wrong, that's how I would or have handled the situation.

AntiqueSledMan.

Boolit Master
    Get the charge out -shoot, CO2, ball puller - then clean.

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Your point is................?
    Don't leave your gun loaded, you could die.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I'm not saying to not use a CO2 discharger, but using one on a regular basis seems like it is asking for problems to me.
    How so? It's a whole lot easier on your gun than firing and cleaning it.

Boolit Master
    I always had a range rod in camp and pulled with a screw puller , if I needed to pull .
    If I took a deer or small game and reloaded I would fire it out at camp and clean.
    The CO 2 puller sounds easier if it had not been fired to put in a fresh load or to head home.

Boolit Master
    Attachment 275184Attachment 275185 After 6 days in snow-rain and cold ,end of season following day cold/sunny unloaded 80 grains BH 209/50 cal GM 1-66 /495 ball patched with bear oil lubed.015 denim over a 54 cal felt wad 90 yds ranged at our short range , the TC custom shop Buckeye special killed 2 deer this year a 6pt 45 yds/a fat doe @96yds and this target day after the season ended . The target was killed 6 days after the doe died and then cleaned .ch deer kill gun was cleaned and then reloaded .The only modification was blue tape over muzzle and cci 209 in a Mag Spark adapter weather proof all season and BH 209 is not happy with cold/moisture in anything sidelock with out the 209 primer /works well with real BP too!/Ed

Ya shoot it, Ya clean it. But hey, it's your barrel
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    Security Police `80 -`00

Before I Went and fired it off after work I ran a patch down the bore just a slight amount of red brown on the patch with the normal fouling color it cleaned it up fine after firing . Thanks all .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    It needed to be cleaned anyway. Seems like a waste of time to me to blow it out. I'm not saying to not use a CO2 discharger, but using one on a regular basis seems like it is asking for problems to me.
    hmmmmm If he lives in town he can do the blowout in his basement or garage - would need a pretty good washout to get all the remnant powder out though.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    After 6 days in snow-rain and cold ,end of season following day cold/sunny...
    But relevant to the OP, did you have fouling rusting your bore for two weeks?

When I use the c02 discharger after a day of hunting, I just run a brush or a dry patch down the bore. It's not anything close to "cleaning" a fired muzzle loader.

Boolit Master
    In a word (NOPE)

Boolit Grand Master
    No question. Shoot it & clean it. Rust starts right away and although it may start slow, it starts.

Boolit Buddy
    I always left mine loaded if I hadn't fired it. If I fired it I cleaned it. I'd tie a tag to the gun with loaded written in red sharpie just in case I should drop over dead unexpectedly.
    Had a friend bring me a double barrel shotgun that was his grandfathers once that he wanted me to clean up enough to hang on the wall. It had sat in a damp basement for many years. I explained to him that it might be loaded. He had played with it as a kid. Of course both barrels were loaded! Had a lot of fun getting the loads out. The shot was corroded into one big lump.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

cleaning during hunting season

I picked up 2 used CVA’s cheap. Got both home and went to work on them. Both loaded! One was actually double loaded! I really went through hell getting out 2 sets of powder and patched balls. Good thing it was in the inline & not a sidelock!
    Better thing I didn’t drop a cap off on it in my basement!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk