WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Stevens 311

Banned

Stevens 311

Always liked them even owned one for a while I let go (foolishly). Now I'm more into shotguns, dropped into a local shop and there is a really clean one, 12 gauge, IC and MOD, relatively short barrels, cash price of $250.

Really don't need another shotgun, I've bought a few recently and have pretty much settled on 16 gauges for most things, but man, I want to go back and grab that one. That is the first decent one I have seen at a sane price in a very long time.

Any shortcomings to be aware of? Things I should look for?

Boolit Master
    Older gun and steel shot, easy on the speed keep it around 1450 or less, you should be okay with shot size in the Mod barrel and no issue at all in the IMP. cylinder. It was many years ago ?? thinking the barrels crossed aim at 25 yds. I forget the term for this (regulate ?) which was not what I wanted. Pattern for steel was all spotty.

It was years ago I got one for duck hunting. Just not a gun for that.

I've got one of each 12, 16, 20 ga. First was the 16, very old, a Sears Ranger, probably dates to the '30s. Shot an entire box through it over about one summer, never hit a thing. Later, learned that it had 2 1/2" chambers, so I reamed them out and improved the forcing cones, now much better. The 12 and 20 were purchased new, no problems at all. Very stout design. I personally wouldn't use steel shot.

DG

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    I've got one of each 12, 16, 20 ga. First was the 16, very old, a Sears Ranger, probably dates to the '30s. Shot an entire box through it over about one summer, never hit a thing. Later, learned that it had 2 1/2" chambers, so I reamed them out and improved the forcing cones, now much better. The 12 and 20 were purchased new, no problems at all. Very stout design. I personally wouldn't use steel shot.

DG
    YEah, I have a Mossberg 835 for anything I need steel shot for I suppose. The public land here requires non toxic shot, but I haven't hunted much on it this year. Been shooting its predecessor, a Stevens 5100 in 16 gauge, a bunch this year on the trap range and I figure that's mostly what this one would be for too.

Boolit Master
    I have a 311R that I picked up while in EOD school in '71. It has the 20 inch barrels. I still have it and is one of my favorites Got it for rabbit and squirrels.
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Grand Master

I have two of the variants, both 16 gauge. One is a Savage fox model B, and the other I'd have to get out to see. I want to say a Savage 506a, or something like that. Both are basically the same gun, and the same as the 311. As a 16 gauge, I think they are quite heavy at a touch over 7 1/2 pounds. Both of mine are 28" barrels, also both IC and MOD. Mechanically I have not had any major issues. One of them I had the locking block (unsure of the proper term) the piece that goes into the grove in the barrel to lock it closed. Actually it was the latch that holds that open, so sometimes I had to hold the lever over to close the action. A simple cleaning and oiling fixed that. Both shoot well, and shoot right where they should. I've not tried slugs in either, but the barrels are regulated perfectly fine for shot.

That said, I don't like either one. Both fit me horribly, one of the worst fitting shotguns that were sold as bird guns that I have ever handled. To shoot them I needed to use a leather cheek pad which raised my cheek up around 1/4" or so. The LOP is also rather short, I think about 13 1/2" to the front trigger. I found I shot them better with that short LOP, rather than adding a slip on pad, which would need an even taller cheek pad.

I wouldn't buy another. I'm likely going to sell my Fox B. My other one does make a great 16 gauge pressure test gun. Nice thick barrels, and heavy to tame recoil.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    I have my Dad's 311 12 guage It is old and I hated the way modern Plastic Shells converted the Modified barrel to full choke and The full Choke to rifle barrel!
    I bought a Brownells 12 guage Choke reamer and cut the Modified to IC and the Full Choke to Modified! Now with plastic it approximated the original Modified and full choke barrels. When I was learning Hand Engraving I used this as my first model
    Images below:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EarlyDays1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	275147

Name:	EarlyDays2.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	275148

Name:	EarlyDays3.jpg 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	275149
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    I have my Dad's 311 12 guage It is old and I hated the way modern Plastic Shells converted the Modified barrel to full choke and The full Choke to rifle barrel!
    I bought a Brownells 12 guage Choke reamer and cut the Modified to IC and the Full Choke to Modified! Now with plastic it approximated the original Modified and full choke barrels. When I was learning Hand Engraving I used this as my first model
    Images below:

Name:	EarlyDays1.jpg 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	275147

Name:	EarlyDays2.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	275148

Name:	EarlyDays3.jpg 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	275149
    The engraving looks great!

The one in question is not that old, I'm certain it was made after the advent of plastic shells and wads.

Boolit Grand Master

Plastic shells have been around an awful long time. My guess is he means plastic wad cups, which seem to have started getting popular in the 60's.

Boolit Master
    I have a 5100 and a 311 both with long barrels and an older one with rabbit ears. All are 12 ga I use the rabbit eared one the most. They are 2 3/4" chambers shot with black powder and 1 oz or 1 1/4 oz #4-#6 shot. When hunting with a friends friend the smoke and boom gets some reactions. The 5100 was bought in the late 40's or early 50's by a favorite uncle just after his discharge fron the Navy. The 311 was on a gun table in the 90's and the rabbit ears was given to me as it keep poping open, now fixed.

Rich, I've got a 311 in 410 and it's a hoot. I haven't shot it much so can't say much of the chokes but I like it. If I could find a 12 GA around here for $250.00 it would be going home with me. But I'm a sucker for SxS's

Yes I would as fast as my wallet could be drawn! Have two 20 ga. A 311a and a 311H. The 311a was the second gun I ever owned. The first was a Savage 410/22 mag that the 410 barrel patterned 2ft low and a foot left but it shot a better pattern the 22mag. Had it about two week traded it for the 311a

Banned

Well, I was back in that shop today and it was gone, should have made the effort to get back quicker, I suppose. Oh well, they do have a couple of rifles I was interested in, so might be back this week with some trade fodder.