WidenersLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Wheelweight score

Boolit Master

Wheelweight score

Hit a home run this week!

Here is NY, wheelweights are largely a thing of the past. Steel, zinc, and composite pretty much rule. Still, I hit up my usual half dozen sources who give me their wheelweights for either a six pack or a dozen donuts. I do it 2-3 times a year, and sort through the various 5 gallon pails, usually netting about a gallon of lead for every 10-12 gallons I sort through.

Anyhow, one of my favorite guys runs a tiny two stall mom and pop type place. I never get a large quantity from him because his place is small, but his lead percentages tend to be higher because lots of older people with older cars tend to go to guys like him (and hence we get the older wheelweights off their older wheels.) He saw me walking in and yells "I think you're gonna like what I found!" In addition to the 1/3 of a bucket I usually get from him, he proceeds to pull out three boxes of unused old lead wheelweights!! Apparently he was cleaning out an old cabinet and found them stashed in the bottom.

Needless to say, he got beer the next day!

Boolit Buddy
    Had a similar score last week. Guy gave me 4 5 gallon buckets of weights. Two were take offs, about 70% lead. Two of them were never before installed 100% lead wheel weights that he didn't want to organize so that he could use. All in I got about 12-14 gallons of lead wheel weights. He said he was about a week from throwing them all in the trash too!

Banned
    Good COWW scores still happen but they are getting fewer and fewer as the years go by.

I traded for 3 boxes of these from a member who bought pallets of them at an auction

Last edited by Conditor22; 01-10-2021 at 01:40 PM. Reason: spelling :(

I got a good score of Linotype 2 weeks ago. 61lbs for 50 bucks. This is still in typeset form to.

Boolit Grand Master

Nice Score! Its good to see other casters efforts pay off.

I live in a small town and I get what you're saying about the higher % of lead weights in the smaller shops. Our little shop here produces a partial bucket about every 4 to 6 weeks, free except that I take them donuts. I also buy my tires there and get our vehicles serviced there.