MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About to Jump Into Casting. Questions from a Newbie.

Boolit Bub

About to Jump Into Casting. Questions from a Newbie.

Hello Guys,
    Just wanted to introduce myself and say hello. Been a shooter and reloader for 30 yrs.

Been toying with the idea of casting for awhile but the amount of labor and planning needed, osteoarthritis setting in, and complexity of casting kept me away.

Now that my funds for shooting are tighter and having a little more time (due to the lockdown), I feel it may be the right time to start casting at a very small scale for my 45 Colt.

I have read the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook and read a lot through this website, youtube, and other sites.

I would like to keep my casting simple, using premixed alloys. I'd like to avoid scavenging for lead, wheel wts, etc. during my free time.

But I quickly realized that online lead prices (and other alloys) are at least $3.00/lb and goes up from there which shocked me quite a bit.

The cheapest source I know online is from RMR Bullets, but their alloy do not contain Sb.

I'd like to get a 50% savings compared to buying my cast bullets online.

Is there even a possible way to get the needed alloys online and still be able to save money? How do you guys feel about the lead from RMR?

Thanks so much for your time!

Boolit Buddy
    Pick up scrap bollits from your clubs berm. Smelt down to recover lead! You will be amazed at how much you can recover with a little effort!
    I was! That’s how I started.

Often times you can buy alloy here for around 1 a pound. I've never bought any here, I scavenge where able.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Range scrap can be a inexpensive source for lead if there is a range near to you and you are allowed to collect it. I think you can still find individuals selling odd lots of lead for not much more than a buck a pound plus shipping. Check the Want to sell section of this forum and consider posting at the Want to buy section. Another source is local scrap dealers. From what I’ve heard, prices vary a lot. I’ve considered putting up notes at business that sell plumbing and roofing supplies, offering to buy scrap lead from contractors. Check what the scrap dealers are willing to pay and offer more. Post a note where reloading equipment is sold. Perhaps someone has extra they are willing to part with.

You may want to add a little tin. You can find old pewter in second hand shops you can melt down. Otherwise, buy an alloy high in tin to add. It doesn’t take much.

It doesn’t have to be a big investment to get started casting. The only specialized equipment you need is a mold. You can melt lead in an old pot (not aluminum) over any heat source and use a soup ladle to pour it into the mold. Depending on your budget, you can go from there.

Boolit Master

If arthritis is a problem, start with Lee 2 cavity molds. They are about the lightest you'll find.
    And a bottom pour pot. With dipper casting you'll be constantly twisting your wrists.

I wish you Good Luck finding scrap alloy. It isn't to be found where I live, nor does the only outdoor range allow "lead mining".
    Had good luck finding good clean alloy on this website.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Banned
    Welcome to Cast boolits,

Starting out casting, isn't cheap but can quickly pay for itself depending on how much you shoot.

45LC is an easy boolit to cast. unfortunately right now, casting and reloading equipment and supplies are very hard to find.

IF you already loading lead boolits you are 1 step ahead.

You could get away with using a camp stove, a stainless steel pot, a dipper, and a mold to start casting using alox or? as a simple lube then find a sizing die. I powdercoat everything to avoid the mess.

Many answers can be found by using the search box at the top right of each page --gateway to 15 years of knowledge.

Lee molds are useable (work great for me) and start at $20 [if you can find them now ] to custom molds costing over $100
    Last edited by Conditor22; 01-10-2021 at 05:07 AM.

Boolit Master

Honestly I have never found cheap lead and ready to use. Time is money. It can be found for a buck a pound of clean Clip On Wheel Weights in ingot form and ready. But that shipping even with flat rate is steap. Pre-made alloys run you more 2 to 3 bucks a pound and the same killer shipping. Weight gets too high and you get charged freight shipping. The buy/sell here (I trust every one here) and rotometals. I personally would avoid Ebay (i dont trust those people, no offense to any of you that sell there). For classifieds and scrap yards get the source in raw form. Dont buy ingots from sources you dont trust.

Once you get the hang of it and through proper planning you can keep you lead coffers filled for cheap. Its the price of the lead that makes our rounds so cheap. It cost my 05 cent per pistol round, 12cents per riffle shot and 25 cents per 12g shot. It's the the time and effort out into gather, cleaning the lead and making the gas checks and gathering cases that makes them so cheap.

My favorite source is range scraps. Because done right and a friend at the scrap yard. The scrap jackets pay for the propane to fuel the operation. Range scrap BHN is the perfect hardness for a general purpose alloy that works in everything.

Having a roofer, plumber, tire shop and/or gun range working friend. Even a dentist or doctor friend could get you a free to cheap lead source. Free lead is the best lead and I will find a way to make it work. Typically I go through about 200 to 300 lbs of lead a year. Craigslist has actually saved me a few times. First time I posted a want to buy add and second time I found a post from a retiring mechanic. I cleaned a retiring mechanic out.

I restock to about 400 to 600 lbs. Once that gets down to 200 lbs I start looking for lead. I take my time looking for deals and placing want to buy adds in classified sections. It will take a while but once you score its a great feeling. It took me a year to score once and I was down to my last 80 lbs. If I have too there is scrap yard who will sell me mixed wheel weights. Not the cheapest but it will average out to 80 cents a pound of clean lead and didnt have to pay shipping.

Its also not hard to clean lead. I am young and find it taxing but I can clean 400+ lbs of lead in a day. Lol I am getting too old for that though and I hurt the next day. I only have to do it though once a year or so. 200 lbs is easy though on a lazy after noon. Just set your up for ergonomics. And get help to move the processed lead. I find beer is good way to get friends to help. Also refreshing after standing over a fire.

I do my best to keep an eye all the time for lead. Maybe one day I will strike it rich and be set for life in lead. I expect to keep casting for another 60 +/- years God willing. So I will need about 12,000 lbs of lead to last me to my grave. Plus a little extra to leave to my kids lol.

So before you settle on a lead source. Do some math. If you can use your chosen lead source and still be economical cheaper than commercial cast or reloaded rounds then go for it. Those guys that get the certified stuff 20/1 Virginia alloy are different bread though. If I had the money maybe or if I had a hobby to justify it.

After a while finding lead is a quarter of the fun.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Bub
    Hello Guys,

1. The classifieds here is in the Swappin & Sellin section right?

2. Has anyone tried RMR's alloy on their website?

I ordered my casting equipment a couple of days ago--Lee Pro-4 furnace, a 6-cavity 45LC mould, and handle.

Just like when I started shooting and then reloading 30 yrs ago, I'm going into this not knowing how much I'll enjoy it. Definitely, finding affordable lead and learning the different mixtures will be the most challenging aspect.

But I do appreciate you folks in this forum, your advice, and the countless wonderful topics being covered.

Thanks all!

Boolit Buddy
    Some good information here. Given the current situation you could spend a year tracking down the basic things you would need. It doesn't sound like you are in a hurry and all things reloading are high right now.

Do you know someone close to you who also would like to get started casting? That's how I got started many moons ago.

As for lead, I think people get overly worked up about having the perfect mix. I collect three different categories, soft, range and COWW. I mix it and shoot it and never a problem. I don't go for speed though. Everyone is expanding their search for a good lead supply, given time you can find it. As mentioned, there are some good resources on this forum.

If you are not in a big hurry, look for a used mold. Watch the for sale ads in this and other places. I have a couple 2 cavity Lee's and although they work, I would not recommend them for a long term investment. There is day and night difference between the 2 and 6 cavity molds.

In short, you can do this on the cheap if you just shop around, get the word out and stay patient. Best of luck.

How do you plan to lube? Alox or the 45/45/10 mix work well. I even have some I would send you as I now PC everything. You also MAY need to size depending on your bullet drop size. Lee makes a reasonable push through sizer.
    Last edited by Huskerguy; 01-10-2021 at 09:55 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Sorry, but I have to defend Lee double moulds. I have quite a few and normally they work just fine. A double mould is definitely better than a single when it comes to efficiently of production and for that same principle, four or six cavities are better. However, with the added quantity comes added weight, especially when casting 400+ grain boolits for several hours at a time.

Lee double cavity moulds come with handles and the total price is very reasonable. Take care of them and don’t abuse them and you will certainly get your money’s worth out of them. Beware when buying used ones however, that you are not getting one with a problem.

Boolit Master
    I would like to mention pay attention to taking care of your mold - a little lube in the right place prevents damaging the top of the mold blocks .

Boolit Master

I take extra care of my Lee molds. Galling were the sprue plate rubs the top of the blocks is bad. I switched to antiseize compound on there it has made a drastic improvement to the wear.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    Answers to your specific questions.
    Yes,, the "Swappin & Selling" section is our Classifieds.
    I personally have never used any of the alloy sales services. But maybe some who have will chime in.

And as to buying verses hunting & smelting scrap yourself.
    You appear to be looking at a method of saving money over a longer period,, as well as getting your desired bullets when needed. Buying commercial alloy will not be as economical as learning to hunt scrap, and making your own alloy.
    As noted in the many posts above,, hunting scrap isn't as hard as it may seem. A lot depends upon where you live,, and the local resources.
    Scrap yards, tire shops, gun ranges, are among the top places a lot of folks do their scrounging in. But,, think out of the box a bit. As noted,, sail boat keel's are often the source of a LOT of lead. Commercial roofers,, or folks doing building demo where lead roofing or plumbing pipe lead was used. Old style scuba weights, yard sales, asking friends, etc.
    Heck,, I recently had a cousin who lives several states away,, who also owns a home near me,, find out I cast. Next time he visited me,, he arrived with over 100 lbs,, for free. (I guess I'll have to actually teach him how to shoot now too,, since he asked. )
    Is getting an alloy as easy now as it was 10-20 years ago? No. Will it get easier,, ?? Not likely. But it can be done.

And by scrounging,, you can really save the money you mentioned in your OP.

If your worries are about a specific alloy mix,, relax,, it's not as hard as you'd think. If it were,, many of the fine folks here wouldn't be doing it.

And may I seriously suggest the idea of learning to PC the bullets. It's less messy,, inexpensive,, and works quite well. A thrift store can be your friend. A cheap toaster oven,, some powder from "Smoke" in our own Classifieds,, and a roll of non-stick aluminum foil, a cheap colander,, a cheap plastic pan, and you are in business. (Basically, dump bullets into a #5 plastic tub,, like a butter tub, or whip cream tub, put in a small amount of powder, put on the lid, shake for a few minutes, dump the bullets into the colander that's sitting in the plastic pan. Shake the colander to remove excess powder,, dump the bullets onto the foil covered pan, bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes,, cool, size & load.)

There is a lot of information her & elsewhere. But it's NOT hard,, and especially it is cost effective.

Boolit Buddy
    Make a few phone calls to your local scrap yards. Ask if they sell to the public and what is the price per pound. I’ve bought scrap lead for $0.75 cents a pound from my local yard.

Figure out what alloy you want to cast. Read this page. http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

Buy some artist pencils to check hardness. Read this sticky. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...s-with-pencils

Learn to use the lead alloy calculator. Read this sticky. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...oy-calculators

Learn how to find pewter at thrift stores. Read this sticky. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Good luck! You picked a good first cartridge to learn on. Straight wall low pressure revolver is a good place to start.

JM

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome to Cast Boolits and to the casting hobby!

You are off to a good start by reading and by ordering some equipment. This is a great time to be casting but not so great to get into it. If that makes any sense? Everything is scarce and hard to find right now.

I think you are going to be challenged to cast bullets for 50% of commercial bullet prices by using new foundry lead. What little that I have used was a joy to cast with but its expensive! Most of our savings come through finding a cheap of free source for scrap lead.

I'm not familiar with RMR and have not used their alloy. I'm sorry that I can't help you there.

I would encourage you to look for a source of cheap or free lead or consider buying from the members here on the swapping and selling thread. I understand your desires not to spend time doing this but some of us actually enjoy what I call "The Chase".

Once again, Welcome Aboard.

IMO, you are not saving much paying more then $2/# for casting alloy. 1000/9mm/147 would cost you about $45 to cast at $2 per #. I can have coated delivered to my house for about $75 in bulk. Sure I save $31 but have to spend about 4-5hrs to cast, coat & size 1000. I would feel better if my alloy were free. I do enjoy the casting process more than reloading so the time suck isnt as big a deal for me.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    You might want to consider using certified alloys starting out, eliminating that variable in advance of working out the kinks in your technique.

Afterwards, for the sake of saving money and effort both, finding a scrap alloy that is consistent in content and close to the hardness you need is in order. COWW filled the bill for many, but is now hard to find. A good substitute is isotope container alloy, which in my experience runs from 2.5 to 3% Sb and which many casters will use as is (some might add tin in the form of inexpensive scrap solder, or up the alloy temp a bit to improve fill out). It comes up for sale occasionally in the S&S.

please note that with a 6 cav lee you have to start with a HOT mold if too cold you will break the sprue handle off.
    get a chepo hot plate and put it on high and put mold on it as alloy melts.

If you're around me, I'm glad to show you my casting venue and help save you some of the frustrating part of learning. I learned the hard way.

There's a multitude of options for (I would assume) just about anyone to find materials locally.

I do scale service, work, fix, calibrate and install etc... I was at one of our local metal recyclers recently fixing a floor scale they trash regularly, they were glad for my prompt response and fix: Well anyway, it's like I was living in a fog and the light came on! I asked the boss "Hey, you have any tin or linotype around?", told him what I would use it for and he walked me out to a 55 gallon steel barrel of linotype and asked "How much you want?" I got weak in the knees.

For me the price was a buck a pound, the barrel is mine, no one else will bother it so I can go back any time and keep emptying it as my cash supply allows. No, it's not pure linotype, I'm not sure what it's mixed with but it really makes a nice addition to my 600 lb supply of pure lead.

Don't mean for this to be a brag, just saying, poke around, lots of options. Years ago when we lived in Havre Montana I would frequent a tire shop there and A.J. would give me a 5 gallon bucket of WW for a 6 pack of beer.
    If your mind goes blank don't forget to turn off the sound!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast