Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shotshell mentor wanted.

Shotshell mentor wanted.

Western Kentucky.

As title says, i just want a someone to get me going on shotshell reloading, and would like to get some one on one lessons with someone local.
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

Banned
    Brutal AB, I only understand picture language, fancy words confuse me as I'm from a Third World Country.
    Another guy before you also used Very Fancy Heading like " Typhoon F12 Sabot Slug Loads "
    We all were very happy and got excited as we all were getting bored, he was going to show us, when he really had nothing to offer and wanted our Help.

Iwould not be surprised if I get banned for speaking my mind, but I love to speak my mind. No matter what !

Regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots

Boolit Grand Master
    You may be better off without a mentor.

You can get a lot of help from guys on Trapshooters.com if members here cannot address a question. Not sure how useful YouTube would be.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    First and for most follow data.

If you need to load different always load down the powder charge not up. Rifle and pistols are easier.

Get a Lyman shot-shell manual read and learn.

Ive got the lyman shot shell manual. Have read some but not most of it.
    Noticed it had pretty extensive data for shot, but minimal for slugs.
    I purchased the press in late 2018 and it came with a large amount of aa hulls and some wads. Probably 1000 of each. Finaly decided to do something with it.

I have a lot of questions,
    Can i use slugs in loads designated shot?
    What do i do about the wad in such a situation?
    Does shot size matter as long as its the correct weight?

Why is there multiple max loads for identical component combinations on hodgdons online reference?

Why is there so many specific combinations listed? Ie: i dont know of any handgun/rifle manual that will give different combinations of headstamp and primer. What makes shotguns so much different in this respect?

I plan on loading all the hulls with slugs or buckshot. Got molds for both.

Boolit Buddy
    Where in west Ky. I am in Webster County. May be able to help a little.

Right next to you in hopkins. Pm incoming.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have seen data on this site that only a fool would use. Slug shooters are the worst offenders. None that I am aware of have the equipment to test for pressure. And there is precious little safety factor in a shotgun chamber. Regardless of what some will tell you....do not look for flattened primers as a sign of approaching excessive pressure.... you will blow a gun up eventually following that advice

The same components in a different hull will yield different pressure and velocity. That is why recipe data is hull specific. A hull with everything the same, but tested with different wads, will also show differences. And a primer change can cause up to a 3000 psi change....which is a lot for a shotgun.

There are idiots out there, so use book data only. You will never get into trouble with published loads.

It is very important you read and understand the Lyman manual. If your mentor deviates from it, you need to have him give you a reason that makes sense.

BTW, the Lee 7/8 oz slug has a very good reputation so that is where I would start. Slugs will have less pressure than shot loads of the same weight unless they are a very tight fit in the barrel. Shot size has no bearing on pressure

Good for you for getting into reloading slugs and buckshot. You will save a lot money.
    Don Verna

I think i am going to finish the Lyman manual in the mean time. Still looking for someone local.

And i have my doubts about "saving money"

Boolit Master
    Whatever that line of Data (recipe) is follow it to the letter.

So say the line from left to right read

for Winchester Compressed Hull (case) 1/1/8 oz load.

Primer Wad (or wads column) powder
    Win209 WWaa12 red dot 00gr.

That would also have pressure and speed listed.

So a clean hull (Winchester Compressed) re-primer-ed with a Winchester 209 primer then a change of (Red Dot) powder then wad (wwaa12) followed by a change of 1 1/8 oz of shot (shot can be any size from 9 to 2). You can't just change the data and mix and match as you please. Follow the line for each load.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210110-131648_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	275125Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210110-131654_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	275126

Is this just hodgdon showing us pressure levels and velocity at different charges? Cause this looks to me like 4 identical combinations with 4 different "max load"

Also saw where two different slugs of the same weight had pretty significant charges behind them. Mine is the lyman and if i remember correctly weighed less than an ounce. Its shapped like a dome, not a giant air rifle pellet. Think it might be called foster style?

So, im not trying to dismiss the importance of following book loads, just trying to understand this better so i stay safe.
    If using slugs rather than shot lowers pressure, and using lighter slug/shot lowers pressure, without further knowledge i deduce that using a slug that weighs ~70٪ of a shot charge would be a safe thing to do. Why would this not be the case?

And my goals with the slug is not the fastest, or even most accurate, when i bought this press, it came with the slug mold, buckshot mold, wads and hulls and a fair bit of primers, all at a price i couldnt pass up. My motivation is split between learning the process and i just want to load them up so i can put rounds in ammo cans and free up some storage space.

Look at the thickness of a shotgun barrel compared to a rifle barrel! that is why pressure is so important!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BrutalAB View Post

Is this just hodgdon showing us pressure levels and velocity at different charges? Cause this looks to me like 4 identical combinations with 4 different "max load"

Also saw where two different slugs of the same weight had pretty significant charges behind them. Mine is the lyman and if i remember correctly weighed less than an ounce. Its shapped like a dome, not a giant air rifle pellet. Think it might be called foster style?

So, im not trying to dismiss the importance of following book loads, just trying to understand this better so i stay safe.
    If using slugs rather than shot lowers pressure, and using lighter slug/shot lowers pressure, without further knowledge i deduce that using a slug that weighs ~70٪ of a shot charge would be a safe thing to do. Why would this not be the case?

And my goals with the slug is not the fastest, or even most accurate, when i bought this press, it came with the slug mold, buckshot mold, wads and hulls and a fair bit of primers, all at a price i couldnt pass up. My motivation is split between learning the process and i just want to load them up so i can put rounds in ammo cans and free up some storage space.
    Why do you believe all those loads are maximum....clearly they are not.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BrutalAB View Post

What hulls are they using ? I don't see that.

Boolit Master
    After double checking, I see what your saying. Changed the hulls 4 different time and getting the same load data. Odd the pressures would change, I never seen data universal like this before.

Its all data for the same aa hull, hodgdon will only show data grouped this way.

So really, im saying, obviously only one of those is the "true max load" unless there is information about the loads not included.

Perhaps an email to them to clarify is in order. i see this as a weakening of the importance of "maximum load" designation.

Shotshell mentor wanted.

From the state you posted, the powder charge changed. Once you understand how different components interact with each and their effects on pressure, you can safely work up loads.

Folks like to say, “Follow the published data!” However, there’s not a ton of load data for many slugs available on the market, especially with the influx of Russian slug molds available.

Some common things to know about buckshot and slug reloading:

1. Roll crimps usually produce less pressure than fold crimps.

2. Slugs generally produces less pressure than shot, if all other things are equal, due to fluid dynamics.

3. Hard verses soft launch: learn it. This refers to the pliability of your shot/slug column and affects pressure.

4. While swapping components can lower or raise pressure, simply swapping out a primer or wad will not blow your shotgun up. Never had. Never will.

If you’re on Facebook, join my group called Buck and Slug Reloaders. We’re sponsored by BPI (members get discount on shipping) and it’s the largest group focused on buckshot and slug casting and reloading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Blood Trail; 01-13-2021 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
    If you’re on Facebook, join my group called Buck and Slug Reloaders.
    I copy and pasted "Buck and Slug Reloaders" on facebook, but got nothing. Can you give a link please?

Boolit Master
    ive been reloading shotshells for 50 years. I go by the book and leave ballistic creations to the experts. these days in my opinion one of the greatest sources for everything shotshell is ballistic products. get their load guides for coyote , slugs and buckshot from them, follow the recipes exactly and you will have most likely everything your after.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in St. Louis View Post
    I copy and pasted "Buck and Slug Reloaders" on facebook, but got nothing. Can you give a link please?
    Here ya go:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/buckandslugreloaders/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast