MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best practices for scrapping pewter?

Boolit Mold

Best practices for scrapping pewter?

I bought my first piece of pewter today at a thrift shop with the intent of melting down to add to lead alloy. I saw the Pewter ID sticky, but wanted to check and see if folks have proven methods (equipment set ups) for melting down the pewter, what to cast it into for small-ish ingots to weigh out for alloying, etc.

I just smash it down small enough to drop into the pot.

I have a old Lee ingot mold that makes the two each one and 1/2 pound ingots. It works fine.
    Other times, I feed the piece into the pot as I need it without melting it down first.

Something else that's tin and ya see here & there is the old style home caning lid rings.
    They look the same as our new steel ones we get at the grocery store, but are dull, gray, and usually bent up.
    I drop them straight into the pot.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't find much Pewter but I use a smaller pot to melt solder and Pewter in than I use for scrap lead. I'll stir it a lot and flux a couple of times with beeswax. Then I'll pour them into the 2 smaller cavities that are in a Lee ingot mold.

I've been casting long enough that I have a couple of different size pots and a set of tools matched to each of them.

Banned
    I also smelt pewter in a smaller SS pot fluxing with both Pine sawdust and wax, then I pour the pewter into a small casting pot (lee production) and cast it all into .5 oz boolits.
    This is the mold I found first that works many other molds may work. .5 oz. is a great size for "sweetening" the pot or alloying

Boolit Buddy
    I use a muffin pan to make pewter coins. I use a small ladle and they are pretty consistent on weight

I use my 45/70 mold 480gr and a small muffin tin for 2oz.
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Master
    I prop the handle up on my Lyman mold and ladle out small amounts to make little wedge shaped ingots. If you have a 10 pound pot and want to add about 2% tin that's only 4 ounces or so of pewter.

I been known to weigh a pewter ingot and add it to the pot to get exactly what I want. Been known to stick the edge of a pewter item in the melt and add an unknown amount too. Just pends on what I got, and how particular I am about what I'm casting.

In one of the old books, I think Phil Sharps book, he talks about pouring small coins directly onto the concrete floor, no mold needed.

Boolit Buddy
    I guess the molten pewter temp is low enough that concrete doesn’t pop? I’ve seen molten aluminum pop concrete but that is MUCH higher temp.

Boolit Master

Pewter will melt on a hotplate, but it melts faster on a turkey fryer. I melt in a ss skillet, flux and cast in a couple of 6 cavity Potter ingot molds that I got from a member here. The ingots are marked with a cast in P, about 3 inches long, 4 or 5 to the pound. One of these is just right for a 4-20 potful of alloy for me. One reason I like them is that they stack well in the USPS SFRB. Others have cast in bullet molds.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    1/8-1/4" depth in the bottom of a mini muffin tin works great.

Boolit Master
    I've heard that some use a casting pot, but the larger pieces won't fit into a 4" to 5" diameter version without putting effort into cutting or bending them a lot. I use an 11" SS pot over the propane burner I process lead with, turned down low.

Curb stomping plates and platters bends them enough to fit. A weed burner played over the top melts down items a lot faster than just heat from below, though once there's a pool of liquid metal, it goes a lot faster. A trick to fast melting is to get molten metal inside the cup/bowl/pot. Otherwise such items tend to float with only a small area in contact with the melt. Of course, your items all need to be bone dry; while the temps are lower than with lead, the tinsel fairy can still pay you an unpleasant visit.

Some pewter items have attached wooden knobs and handles. These don't need to be removed; the pewter will melt off and, while the wood might char a bit at 500 or so degrees, it usually doesn't burn and you can pick it out with pliers. Plastic, though is a different story; try not to get any into the melt to avoid melting or burning.

I've experienced a fair bit of dross, though it seems to be tin oxides that reduce readily with sawdust and paraffin wax. It reforms quickly, though, so a cover layer and/or a bottom pour ladle may be in order.

I've made the mini muffin tin coins, but am moving mainly to small bar ingots since I make casting alloy in 240-250# batches.

I was lucky when I found mine, I had a clean 4 lb dipper pot sitting on the shelf (Upgraded to 20 lb magnum melter)

About half the batch got cast into Lee 310 gr .430 boolits. The other half got dropped into a muffin tin to make "coins" About 2/3rds of a ladle gave me the thickness I wanted. A tin snips cleaned up any splashes up on the sides to get remelted.

Would love to find another batch at the second hand store. That batch was 6.5 lbs usable pewter for 11$. Happy camper for sure.
    Took momma out for supper for that find for sure.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master

I sold 6-700 pounds of Pewter on this board before everyone decided to scrounge for themselves.

In my experience, the best tools for getting pewter ready for the pot are a bench vise and a 3 pound drilling hammer. For bowls, pots and vases, grab handles and bases in the vise and twist them off. Then use the hammer to crush the body into a small diameter tube as required. For plates and trays, clamp a few inches in the vise and bend it 90 degrees. Fold flat with the hammer. Repeat. Then feed the long tubes into the pot of your choice as they melt. Too much effort trying to make it into small pieces.

I like a Potter mold for ingots. They have a nice P on them for easy identification and the P makes a convenient snap line for smaller additions to your alloy.

”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    Can not believe I never thought of pouring pewter into a bullet mold so it is the same weight ����

Well it will be lighter, but makes it easy to drop one or two into a pot when you want just a bit more hardness/shiny.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Sounds like a lot of extra work, casting pewter bullets.

Boolit Mold
    So pewter's ~2/3 the density of lead, my .600" round ball mold that would cast 324 grains in lead should be right at a half ounce in pewter. Good idea.

Boolit Buddy
    Also, the bottom of an aluminum can makes nice coins to save pewter. Take six of them, tape them together and turn upside down. Fill with molten pewter. I disremember what they weigh, but they are handy.

Boolit Grand Master

A Lyman dipper is pretty consistent at about 2 ounces. It’s a rare pour that isn’t within 2 tenths.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast